• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a Nook for Christmas. Really like it, finished Girl With A Dragon Tattoo from Stieg Larson. Yeah, I'm a little late to the party but it was a great read. Looking forward to rediscovering my love of reading. What to read next?!?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"The Middlesteins" by Jami Attenberg; a novel, read lots of good reviews, about a Jewish family in Chicago where the mom can't stop eating (flashbacks). Some reviews said it was funny, but I'm not getting that yet.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Almost finished with the book my Secret Santa (KMS) sent me.

Victory at Yorktown by Newt Gingrich

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe. I'm really liking this one. It's a true story about a guy in the publishing industry whose mom is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and the books they share, and all their related (or not) discussions of life issues, and his reflections on it all. Extremely engaging and so far, not at all maudlin.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Just started reading A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics

It is a book on the evolution of soccer and how it was and is now played.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
I always forget about this thread.

Currently, I am rereading The Hobbit.

I just finished Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder and OSC's Ruins.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I always forget about this thread.

Currently, I am rereading The Hobbit.

I just finished Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder and OSC's Ruins.

I loved Pathfinder! I read it last year. Haven't read Ruins. Is it the sequel and do I want to read it?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Currently, I am rereading The Hobbit.)
I don't get that it took me days to read the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy and that took 3 movies. It (well, nowadays as an adult) takes me 30 min to skim The Hobbit but that's gonna be 3 movies?? It's a small fraction of the other books.
I have to say, my fave moment in all 4 books is when Beorn wades into the pivotal battle in the Hobbit. I'm old; I read the Hobbit 43 years ago (and I have all my original books). I'm entitled to my little old lady moments.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe. I'm really liking this one. It's a true story about a guy in the publishing industry whose mom is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and the books they share, and all their related (or not) discussions of life issues, and his reflections on it all. Extremely engaging and so far, not at all maudlin.
Fantastic book; highly recommended. Especially for book lovers, but good for all.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm about halfway through Fifty Shades of Grey. I've never read anything like this before. ZG gave it to me for Christmas.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I'm about halfway through Fifty Shades of Grey. I've never read anything like this before. ZG gave it to me for Christmas.

The MCRRT (Man Card Revocation Review Team) is headed to your house. Lose the book or lose the card!

ursus

The MCRRT (Man Card Revocation Review Team) is headed to your house. Lose the book or lose the card!

I don't think you can revoke his man card for wanting to know what thousands upon thousands of women apparently like to read. That's just strategic planning, which he is trained for. It's like he can't turn it off......he's my idol!

DVD

Cyburbian
My wife read part of it and put it down. She said the writing was horrible, but congrats on getting through part of it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"We is Got Him" by Carrie Hagen. True story about the first documented kidnapping for ransom in the US, in 1874, in Philadelphia. Interesting, and a quick read. Picked it up at the city library last week.

DVD

Cyburbian
I just started reading A Better Way to Zone. Everyone here says it's a great book, but I'm wondering how many people actually read it.

btrage

Cyburbian
I'm now reading Colonel Roosevelt, the 3rd book in Morris' trilogy.

So far not as interesting as the first 2 books. It chronicles the last days of Roosevelt's life, including his split from the Republican party.

I'm still reading the 3rd Teddy Roosevelt book.

I also just started reading the first Harry Potter novel. Yeah, I'm a little behind the times on this one.

ursus

I just started reading A Better Way to Zone. Everyone here says it's a great book, but I'm wondering how many people actually read it.

I read that a while back. It's not a bad read. It made me think a little about how "We" do things, but I can't say that it changed my life or anything. Not like that one story in the Reader's Digest about when the Angel revived the planner....now that was a tear-jerker. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Laura Hillenbrand's "Seabiscuit: An American Legend". I read her book "Unbroken" last year and liked it a lot, so I decided to give this one (from '01) a try. So far, pretty fascinating.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I'm thinking about making a list of all the books I read this year. I haven't done that since elementary school.

I started doing this in 1982. I have a book of lists - different beers I've sampled and books I've read. To compile the list I backtracked and tried to remember the books I read prior to the list and came up with 99 (I didn't count "children's books"). Number 100, the book that began the official count was The World According to Garp.. Been a lot of books recorded since then. The years 2001-2004 were low producers - my son was a wee guy then, took a lot of attention, and was much more entertaining than reading a book. 2012 was my best year ever - 29 books.

Right now I am reading The Pumpkin Rollers, by Elmer Kelton. I was reading No Country for Old Men, but can't find where I last put it down. :-{

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Novelist Richard Russo's new memoir, Elsewhere. I gave the book to hubby for Christmas and he finished it in record time; now it's my turn to read it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Tim Dorsey's "Riptide ultra-glide". Hysterically funny, as he always is. Just reading the dust jacket made me laugh. A top Florida author.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Timothy Ferris - Coming of Age in the Milky Way. So far a very readable book about the history of astronomy and our knowledge of the universe. I'm afraid the astrophysics will soon be over my head.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
William Kuhn's "Mrs Queen Takes the Train". It's an amusing novel with the "what if?" premise of Queen Elizabeth being a bit dispirited, finding herself in a borrowed stablekeeper's hoodie outside Buckingham Palace, and heading off on a nostalgic visit. Pursued thereafter by quirky palace staff and a guy from a cheese shop. Not a crazy-whacky novel like Carl Hiaasen. Serious at times, but very inventive and entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I don't say that often.

btrage

Cyburbian
I'm still reading the 3rd Teddy Roosevelt book.

I also just started reading the first Harry Potter novel. Yeah, I'm a little behind the times on this one.

I finished the first Harry Potter book a month or so ago. I was not impressed. But I will continue to read the series. My 9 year old daughter read it as well, so now we need to start watching the movies. She's already started in on the 2nd book.

I finished the last book in the Roosevelt trilogy earlier this week. My favorite part of the book was seeing how much our current day political atmosphere grew out of the 1890 - 1920 period.

I'm now reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest., the third book in that trilogy. I want to be friends with Lisbeth Salander. Maybe more.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lisa Gardner books - which is not smart when you live alone in a sleepy small town in a creaky house...8-!:-c

Planit

Cyburbian
The Foursome by Troon McAllister.

A good little book in the 3-part Eddie Caminetti series. Insightful too looking into one's personalities.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL ZG -

Maister - I can't believe you are trying to tempt me to FAC by starting a thread on my Lisa Gardner obsession...you cad!

actually right now I am reading a book called "Maine" (duh) by J Courtney Sullivan

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/b...-j-courtney-sullivan.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I need to feed the soap opera buff in me given I don't watch tv during the week and only watch The Good Wife for my fix on Sunday (and Downton Abbey on Hulu)

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I I'm now reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest., the third book in that trilogy. I want to be friends with Lisbeth Salander. Maybe more.

That's one of the books I'm reading now. Interesting book and and interesting look into that culture.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"The Good Girls Revolt" by Lynn Povich. In 1970, 46 female staffers at Newsweek filed a lawsuit against the news magazine, alleging sex discrimination in hiring and promoting; the author was one of them. It was followed the next few years by similar lawsuits against other news organizations. The Newsweek lawsuit was filed the same day the magazine cover story was "Women in Revolt", written by a newspaper reporter since Newsweek had no female writers at the time. This was only a decade before I graduated college and got my first professional job, and it is amazing, reading about the crap they dealt with.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Christopher Buckley's "Boomsday". The premise of this novel is Congress triples taxes for young workers to continue entitlements for aging baby boomers, and there's a revolt starting with the destruction of golf courses in retirees' gated communities. So far, it's hilarious.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Re-reading a classic, Elvis Is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself by Lewis Grizzard. I'd almost forgotten how funny the guy was.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am currently between books, and that's a place I have not been at for more than a day or two in a long long time, but I'm going on three weeks now. Kinda strange, really.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re-reading a classic, Elvis Is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself by Lewis Grizzard. I'd almost forgotten how funny the guy was.
My son was a toddler, and we'd just left a friend's home in Atlanta, heading for Gatlinburg, when it came on the radio that Lewis Grizzard had died. So sad. Heart trouble, I think. I have that book, too, and it's one of my favorites,

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Like otterpop, I am invariably reading several books at the same time. Just kind of leave them in various locations and pick them up when I'm there. At the moment, I'm in the middle or toward the end of books by Lewis Grizzard (Elvis is Dead...), Tony Hillerman (Fallen Man), and Garrison Keilor (Tales of Lake Wobegon). Now I've started PrairyErth by William Least Heat-Moon. Read Blue Highways a number of years ago, enjoyed it and thought it was time to pick up another of his books.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wanted to get that. Tell me if I still do. Can you give an opinion only a few chapters in?
It was Keillor at his finest. Read it. You would like it, I promise.

Just started: "The Revenge of Geography" by Robert Kaplan. Only one chapter in and I can already tell this is going to be a keeper.

btrage

Cyburbian
I am now onto the 2nd Potter book. My daughter is on the 4th. As far as fantasy books go, I am really surprised that so many adults were fans of this series, especially since it centers on children. Very boring.

We are watching the movies as we finish the books.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I am now onto the 2nd Potter book. My daughter is on the 4th. As far as fantasy books go, I am really surprised that so many adults were fans of this series, especially since it centers on children. Very boring.

We are watching the movies as we finish the books.

I've read them and seen the movies. The plots and the content improve as the kids age. They'll never be great works of fiction but as fantasy escape literature, they're not bad.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Just finished a free novel from Amazon Prime: Village Books, by Craig McLay. Very amusing, great characters, the goings-on at a bookstore on the verge of closing. No, not like "You've Got Mail". I really enjoyed it.

Now I'm into Randy Wayne White's latest Doc Ford novel, "Night Moves", partially about Flight 19 that disappeared from Ft Lauderdale in the '40's; but, of course, about so much more. He's one of my favorite FL authors.

Masswich

Cyburbian
The Lobster Coast, a history of Maine with a particular emphasis on how and why it split from Massachusetts, and on the fishing industry. Apparently lobsters did well because (a) they are little vermin and (b) they actually managed the stock at an earlier date and without interference from international trawlers. Also a lot of information about how and why the cities and towns of the coast were developed.

Apparently Monhegan Island trumps Plymouth by far in terms of its role in the colonization of America.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I am currently between books, and that's a place I have not been at for more than a day or two in a long long time, but I'm going on three weeks now. Kinda strange, really.

I too took a brief hiatus from reading. I did finally find No Country for Old Men. But I haven't started reading it again. Instead I began The Innocents Abroad, or The New Pilgrims' Progress, by Mark Twain. He is my favorite author. I try to read Twain every year. My favorite of his books is Life on the Mississippi, and my favorite of his short stories is "Buck Fanshaw's Funeral," which makes me laugh out loud every time I read it, even though I've read it many times.