• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
"Goodbye to a River" by John Graves. An account of a canoe trip by the author down a portion of the Brazos River. Mixes natural history and history of the settlement of the area along the way.

btrage

Cyburbian
I am now onto the 2nd Potter book. My daughter is on the 4th. As far as fantasy books go, I am really surprised that so many adults were fans of this series, especially since it centers on children. Very boring.

We are watching the movies as we finish the books.

Finished the 2nd Potter book. Definitely better than the first.

I'm now reading Detroit: An American Autopsy, by Charlie LeDuff. LeDuff is a controversial, local boy/reporter that came home in 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_LeDuff

http://www.amazon.com/Detroit-American-Autopsy-Charlie-LeDuff/dp/1594205345

I'm only a little ways into it, but its strikingly accurate in its depiction of the mindset of "Detroiters". Depressing as well.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Over the past month or so (including almost a week of being sick on the couch) . . .

Familiar - J. Robert Lennon
the Devil in Silver - Victor Lavale
Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
and a good book on the founding fathers that I can't remember the title or author of even with the help of the internet.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" by Helen Simonson. I'm kinda iffy about British novels and left this one to the last in my bag of books from the library, but I can't put it down. It's very good.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl"; a huge bestseller in the last year. Another writer I have never read, but so good, so far. I'm probably 3/4 of the way thru in one day.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dan Brown's latest Robert Langdon novel, "Inferno". About a third of the way thru, pretty good so far. Of course, it's all about arcane art and symbols and religion and codes, and as usual, moving along at a fast pace.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
ZG, you must have been a Teacher's dream. Have you always read this much? Born reader? My second daughter is this way. I bet she reads three books a week. You're the only person I've seen that reads as much! Good on ya.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
ZG, you must have been a Teacher's dream. Have you always read this much? Born reader? My second daughter is this way. I bet she reads three books a week. You're the only person I've seen that reads as much! Good on ya.

Yes. Except for the 3 yrs after my son was born; I didn't read a single book for 3 yrs and thought I would lose my mind. Maybe I did.

I was a devotee of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and my 5th grade teacher turned me on to S.E. Hinton, the Newbery winners, Tolkien; and my dad gave me adult stuff like John D McDonald, Alistair McLean, and I was off and running.

The best thing my parents did for me was not limit me. When I was a kid, parents had to sign off for their kid to access adult books at the library, and mine did. The world was mine! Just don't ever limit your daughter, no matter what she wants to read.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Yes. Except for the 3 yrs after my son was born; I didn't read a single book for 3 yrs and thought I would lose my mind. Maybe I did.

I was a devotee of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and my 5th grade teacher turned me on to S.E. Hinton, the Newbery winners, Tolkien; and my dad gave me adult stuff like John D McDonald, Alistair McLean, and I was off and running.

The best thing my parents did for me was not limit me. When I was a kid, parents had to sign off for their kid to access adult books at the library, and mine did. The world was mine! Just don't ever limit your daughter, no matter what she wants to read.

Good advice that I will take. Thanks!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dave Barry's new novel, "Insane City". Stupid groom and party arrive in Miami for wedding, meet up with usual Miami denizens, mayhem ensues. I'm liking it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Preston and Childs, "Two Graves". I've read a few of their books years ago, didn't know this was a series I'd missed out on a few.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
My uncle was the type of man to read at least 3 books a week, maybe more depending on circumstances. He read literature and novels, some biographies, and interesting historicical topics. He recently passed away. In honor of his memory, I've decided to start reading more literature. You know, the type of books that you (should have) read in high school and college. I am starting with "Pride & Prejudice". From there I think I'll browse the stacks at the library.

I'm not planning any great order or timeframe to this endeavor. But I will plan on adding one literature work to the reading list in between novels and fluffy summer reading.

btrage

Cyburbian
Finished the 2nd Potter book. Definitely better than the first.

I'm now reading Detroit: An American Autopsy, by Charlie LeDuff. LeDuff is a controversial, local boy/reporter that came home in 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_LeDuff

http://www.amazon.com/Detroit-American-Autopsy-Charlie-LeDuff/dp/1594205345

I'm only a little ways into it, but its strikingly accurate in its depiction of the mindset of "Detroiters". Depressing as well.

I'm done with Detroit: An American Autopsy. It was a quick, easy read. Nothing that I didn't already know however.

I just started on the 3rd Harry Potter book.

clint

What's happened in Detroit is depressing and symptomatic of the mindset of the residents there. Also, some governmental tragedies happening. I've been reading Eat to Live by Dr Joel Fuhrmann and though it's tough to see myself adopting the full program there are lots of good nuggets of wisdom in it.

. . .I've been reading Eat to Live by Dr Joel Fuhrmann and though it's tough to see myself adopting the full program there are lots of good nuggets of wisdom in it.
I read that book; if I were somehow forced to go on that diet, I'm not sure staying alive would be worth it!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The newest in Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand mystery series: "Dead, White, and Blue". She's a favorite author of mine. The series takes place on a fictional island off the coast of South Carolina, where a youngish couple and their friends are continually caught up in deaths, disappearances, etc. The wife owns a mystery bookstore called Death on Demand.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Frozen in Time by Mitchell Zuckoff. It's set in Greenland during WWII and involves aircraft crashing and the attempts at rescue...some successful, some not so much. Nonfiction.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Edna Buchanan's "A Dark and Lonely Place". I don't know how I missed this one from 2011. Buchanan is a former Miami Herald crime reporter who has written some excellent true-crime nonfiction and several novels. This one fictionalizes the story of a couple of real outlaws from the early 1900's in Miami, with a parallel story about a present day cop.

tbagato

Cyburbian
Well my reading is geared to my main hobby/passion working out. The latest book I read is called "Lift - Run - Bang". It is an e-book and pretty raw editing. But if you are into strength training, it is a one year program designed to make your progress explode!

Other than that, I am gearing up to read some parenting books. Any good ones anyone may know of?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Carl Hiaasen's "Bad Monkey". I had high hopes. It wasn't as funny as his former books, although he takes on current issues affecting FL. And no sign of the former governor...

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm almost finished with the first Game of Thrones book.
So far it's pretty good and follows along with the show well enough, or is it the show that follows the book, I get confused.
No one tell me about the next seven or eight or whatever I have left to read.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dorothea Benton Frank has always written predictable but highly entertaining relationship novels centered on the GA/SC coasts. Her new book The Last Original Wife is in a totally different tone and I'm under the 10% mark on my Kindle but this is a hoot.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dorothea Benton Frank has always written predictable but highly entertaining relationship novels centered on the GA/SC coasts. Her new book The Last Original Wife is in a totally different tone and I'm under the 10% mark on my Kindle but this is a hoot.

Super book! Not lit fiction by any means, but a fun fun book. For women.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Just finished "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and I highly recommend it, the author did an awesome job of combining the historical and personal stories of Henrietta Lacks, her cells, and her family. The epilogue was really interesting too, I had no clue that a piece of me might be out there in some lab (or freezer) somewhere...

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
Coming War for Jobs. Good read but poorly sourced which was suprising since it was written by Gallup's CEO. Focus is on cities and the fight for jobs...nice to see someone recongizing the importance of economic development outside that is outside the field.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Right now I am reading The Master of Ballantrae, by R.L. Stevenson. The old Scottish dialect is throwing me for a loop and I am considering throwing in the towel.

Also reading Rama Revealed to my son, which is a little weird because he is in Colombia for another three weeks and I am reading to him via Skype. Not exactly something a Luddite like myself is really comfortable about. This is the fourth in the Rama series. One is incredible. Two is pretty good. Three kind of sucked. No. 4 is maybe showing some promise. Can't wait to see what gets revealed.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Nothing right now but for my 2 week vacation, I have

Cain at Gettysburg by Ralph Peters - some reviewers have compared it to Shaara’s Killer Angels
and
waiting for the new Brad Thor release - pure escape action thriller adventure

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My book count for the first half of 2013 is 118.

Tonight I am reading "Good News Bad News" by David Wolstencroft, a very convoluted spy novel.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Just finished 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann and starting 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by the same author. Both have to do with new world cultural and environmental changes brought on by European exploration. Not easy reading but interesting if you've got an interest in archaeology/anthropology, geography, and the environment.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Half way through "The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls" by Anton Disclafani. It's a new book that's been getting some good reviews. It takes place in 1930, when a 15 y.o. girl is sent from her FL hometown (maybe based on the town of Micanopy; RJ posted pics recently) to a camp/school in western NC for reasons not yet revealed. Enjoying it so far.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I am reading Killer Colt, which is mostly about John Colt, brother of Samuel Colt (inventor of the first practical repeating revolvers and rifles). John Colt murdered a man named Sam Adams (no relation to the patriot or the beer maker). Colt did not use a gun, though. The murder and the trial were covered in the yellow press and created quite a stir.

DVD

Cyburbian
Finally made it to book 3 of the Game of Thrones series. They're not all dead yet!

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Just finished reading The Audacity of Hops by Tom Acitelli. It was an excellent history of the craft brewing movement in the U.S.--exceptionally well-researched and detailed. Chapters were short, which helps for quick reading during lunch breaks, etc. The writing style wasn't as fluid as I would prefer, which made the organization a bit confusing & repetitive at times. Overall though, an excellent read. I've had beers from most of the pioneer breweries, but haven't made it to San Francisco for an Anchor. I saw it was on tap somewhere in Portland while I was there, but decided it could wait for a separate trip to San Francisco.

btrage

Cyburbian
I'm done with Detroit: An American Autopsy. It was a quick, easy read. Nothing that I didn't already know however.

I just started on the 3rd Harry Potter book.

All done with the 3rd Harry Potter book. It was an OK read.

I've started reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Not sure I'm going to finish it right now though. I started it as a stop-gap on my Kindle because I couldn't borrow any more books at the time through Amazon Prime.

I may just start on the 4th Potter book, especially since my daughter is already on number 6.

otterpop

Cyburbian
80% done with US Grant's memoirs

Mark Twain published Grant's memoirs and insisted his publishing house make no profit, giving all profits to the Civil War hero and former President, who was dying of cancer. I believe Grant's memoirs netted Grant about $500,000, which was a fortune in those days.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Mark Twain published Grant's memoirs and insisted his publishing house make no profit, giving all profits to the Civil War hero and former President, who was dying of cancer. I believe Grant's memoirs netted Grant about $500,000, which was a fortune in those days.

That's correct, Grant died without ever seeing a penny of the proceeds but his widow and family were well provided for after he passed away. Apart from generalship, Grant was an exceedingly unlucky individual, failing in every business venture he put his hand to.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Struggling through "Ethical Land Use" by Timothy Beatley while I'd rather be reading something more enjoyable.

Vancity

Cyburbian
Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey.

.. ZG I am envious of your reading. I am lucky if I get through a book a year... it takes me forever to get through books. I wish I would read more.

Can you recommend any page-turner fiction novels?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
That's correct, Grant died without ever seeing a penny of the proceeds but his widow and family were well provided for after he passed away. Apart from generalship, Grant was an exceedingly unlucky individual, failing in every business venture he put his hand to.

Maister, you might enjoy visiting Grant Cottage here in upstate NY. It's where he spent his final days.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How Chance and Stupidity Have Changed History. So far rather disappointing from a military history perspective. The author tries way too hard to make it an 'entertaining' read by including in several chapters speculative narrative accounts of what battles must have seemed like to the foot soldiers in the ranks. I'll take a dry/factual "elements of third battallion deployed along the west flank without having adequate artillery support available....." any day

btrage

Cyburbian
All done with the 3rd Harry Potter book. It was an OK read.

I've started reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Not sure I'm going to finish it right now though. I started it as a stop-gap on my Kindle because I couldn't borrow any more books at the time through Amazon Prime.

I may just start on the 4th Potter book, especially since my daughter is already on number 6.

I stopped reading the Third Reich book and started on Goblet of Fire.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
A Short Bright Flash: Augustin Fresnel and the Birth of the Modern Lighthouse
by Theresa Levitt

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Palisades Park by Alan Brennert. It's a novel following a family from the 1920's onward, and much of their life/work is connected to an old-fashioned amusement park in NJ. It's pretty good so far.