• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Reading Roadside History of Montana , by Donald E. Spritzer. I am hoping to get a few ideas for places to visit this spring and summer.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Holy Cow! My daughter is about 100 off-pace. I'll let her know you're killing her. She likes a challenge. :)

I'll take the challenge, and take notes again, and maybe we get within 50 books or so, and I'll send her a great book from my childhood (how old is she?).

sfgeoninja

Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. Marco Polo and Kublai Khan discuss the geography, planning, and mysticism of medieval cities, some real, some imaginary.

Amazing stuff, highly recommended!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Reading The Roadside History of Montana. A few interesting tidbits thus far: the most eastern town in Montana is called Westby (the town was the most western town in North Dakota, but the railroad freight rates were higher in Montana, so the railroad put their station across the border and the whole town moved.) And the town of Scobey had several members of the scandalous 1919 White Sox players on their town's team.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I'll take the challenge, and take notes again, and maybe we get within 50 books or so, and I'll send her a great book from my childhood (how old is she?).

Turned 15 in December. She'd think that was cool. Got a suggestion? She likes a lot of stuff and we're going to "The Book Garden" (used book place in my town) tonight since she needs something new to read. She's read everything I ever read already. :r:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Turned 15 in December. She'd think that was cool. Got a suggestion? She likes a lot of stuff and we're going to "The Book Garden" (used book place in my town) tonight since she needs something new to read. She's read everything I ever read already. :r:

Tough age. Not a tween, not an adult. Will have to think.

In the meantime, I am reading Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean. I read some great reviews when this came out a few years ago and it's living up to those reviews.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ursus, I'll go with Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. Doubt she's read that in school, but if so, my next choice is Nevil Shute's On the Beach.

ursus

Ursus, I'll go with Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. Doubt she's read that in school, but if so, my next choice is Nevil Shute's On the Beach.

We'll go look for them tonight at the Book Garden! Thanks ZG, I'll let you know what she thought...

DVD

Cyburbian
Just finished the Nick Offerman, Paddle Your Own Canoe book. Interesting, but nothing earth shattering. I'll send it out to someone if you want it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We'll go look for them tonight at the Book Garden! Thanks ZG, I'll let you know what she thought...

Another challenge: Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave ,The Hollow Hills, and the Last Enchantment, about King Arthur; they may be out of print and hard to find, but they are fabulous books for a teenage girl.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I am so damn slow, I read about a book a month if I'm lucky.

I didn't read a book for the first 3 years after my son was born and I almost died from missing reading, except... I was also abnormally busy at work, and he had colic the first few months. You do what you can.

ursus

Another challenge: Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave ,The Hollow Hills, and the Last Enchantment, about King Arthur; they may be out of print and hard to find, but they are fabulous books for a teenage girl.

I have them in a box somewhere in paperback, my dad gave them to me. I'd forgotten all about them. Good suggest. Gotta dig those out for her....

otterpop

Cyburbian
I didn't read a book for the first 3 years after my son was born and I almost died from missing reading, except... I was also abnormally busy at work, and he had colic the first few months. You do what you can.

I was the same when my son was born, for the first three or four years I was lucky if I got even three books read in a year. A new kid was way more interesting than any book.

Now I average 20-30 new books a year. That doesn't include my favorite books from the past that I read to my son. I think I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books to him at least three times. And Huck Finn twice. He also likes the Stainless Steel Rat series.

But my son is not a reader. He likes for me to read to him but it is like pulling teeth to get him to read anything he doesn't have to. Just one of the ways he is so different from me. I come from a long line of voracious readers.

Last year I hit Western novels pretty hard. This year I think I might try to concentrate more on sci-fi.

Right now I am reading The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells. I will probably finish it this weekend. Which will be book two for 2014.

DVD

Cyburbian
Finally moved on to some book on King Solomon. It's interesting in a conspiracy kind of way, but nothing too insightful yet.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Thought I finished reading Malcolm Gladwell's 'Outliers' a long time ago, but for some reason didn't read the last chapter. I discovered the bookmark this morning at 5 a.m. and quickly read the last part. Great read. Also finished 'Combat Techniques: An Elite Forces Guide to Modern Infantry Tactics' . The book gives a nice overview of basic modern infantry tactics but didn't really delve into much detail about how that all translates into different theaters/environments. A good read, though, for any layperson curious about the subject.

btrage

Cyburbian
I finished Life of Pi several weeks ago. I thought it was a pretty good read and I liked it much better than my wife did. However, I don't think it was the earth shattering book that it was made out to be. We subsequently watched the movie and it was OK. Maybe because it has a spiritual/religious underpinning to it, I immediately because cynical of the book.

I've been reading the 5th Potter book since then, Order of the Phoenix. I'm only about a quarter of the way and I just can't get into it. But I will struggle through.

Finally finished Order of the Phoenix last night. Second half of the book was much better than the first, but still way to long. My daughter is happy because now we can watch the movie.

My next book will be In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson. I read his book The Devil in a White City and really liked it, so I'm looking forward to this read. I may end up just getting all of his books.

Masswich

Cyburbian
Working my way through the American mid-20th century, Started with Bill Bryson's One Summer America: 1927, then moved on to Those Angry Days about Roosevelt and Lindbergh, then Final Victory about Roosevelt's 1994 campaign. Skipped over Truman, couldn't find a good book on him, and now reading Eisenhower: The White House Years

It's always fascinating how history is so much more nuanced than the simple versions you hear in school.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Working my way through the American mid-20th century, Started with Bill Bryson's One Summer America: 1927, then moved on to Those Angry Days about Roosevelt and Lindbergh, then Final Victory about Roosevelt's 1994 campaign. Skipped over Truman, couldn't find a good book on him, and now reading Eisenhower: The White House Years

It's always fascinating how history is so much more nuanced than the simple versions you hear in school.

Totally agree! Some interesting reading you have there. How did you like the Bill Bryson book? I have that on my to-read list.

I recently finished Amsterdam: A History of the World's Most Liberal City by Russell Shorto. Of course, now I want to go back to Amsterdam for a visit...

Masswich

Cyburbian
My next book will be In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson. I read his book The Devil in a White City and really liked it, so I'm looking forward to this read. I may end up just getting all of his books.

Erik Larson is a great author, I have liked all of his books a lot. Garden was one of my favorites, though.

Masswich

Cyburbian
Totally agree! Some interesting reading you have there. How did you like the Bill Bryson book? I have that on my to-read list.

I read some mediocre reviews so my expectations were tempered.I enjoyed it but I wouldn't call it earthshattering. Typical Bill Bryson glib, which made it fun to read.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Adriana Trigiani's new book "The Supreme Macaroni Company". It's funnier than the earlier books, but I didn't like the ending.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Finished "Moonwalking with Einstein" by Joshua Foer (I remembered his name :p ) over the weekend and highly recommend it. I was hoping for a few more "memory tricks" but I thought it was a well-written and entertaining balance between brain physiology, the history of "human memory" and memory tools/techniques, and his experience going from an average Joe to being a finalist in an international memory competition in just one year.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Randy Wayne White's Deceived. It's his second Hannah Smith novel.

And Tim Dorsey's Tiger Shrimp Tango. Serge will not disappoint.

Love our Florida authors!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Josh Hanagarne's The World's Strongest Librarian:; non-fiction about a 6'7" Mormon with Tourettes's who becomes a librarian. Lots of serious stuff (Mormonism, missionary trips, bullying) but the author is very amusing.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A few new books on the table by the comfy chair:
  • One Summer: America, 1927 - Bill Bryson
  • Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now--As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It - Craig Taylor
  • There Goes the Neighborhood: Racial, Ethnic, and Class Tensions in Four Chicago Neighborhoods and Their Meaning for America - William Julius Wilson
  • Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010 - Charles Murray
  • Art of Manliness Collection - Brett McKay

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Yesterday at lunch I went to the library and picked up Escape from Camp 14 which is true story about a young man who was born and raised in a North Korean prison camp and escaped to China then South Korea and eventually the U.S. He is the only documented person to have been born in one of these camps and actually escape to the west. The story was amazing. Even though I knew how it turned out from newspaper articles and a couple stories on NPR when the book came out I was still totally intrigued. I finished the book at lunch today - I cannot recall the last time I finished a 200 page book that quickly. Being written by a newspaper reporter and in the general style of a very long form piece of journalism probably helped, but it was still a very interesting book.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's about time to break out all 20 books of Patrick Obrian's Aubrey-Maturin series for a re-read.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Completed Unfinished Tales: the Lost Lore of Middle Earth. Ther interesting parts were those dealing with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The stuff about Numenor put me to sleep. One thing became clear after reading it is the writers for the Hobbit movie based much of their script on this book.

btrage

Cyburbian

I'm done with In the Garden of Beasts. It was a pretty good book, although a little boring at times.

Next book is The Snowman, by Jo Nesbo. I haven't read any of his other Harry Hole books, so I'm not sure how much I'll miss. But my wife happened to have the book laying around and it sounds good.

DVD

Cyburbian
I finally got the last book to the Game of Thrones series. I guess there is supposed to be some more after that.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm done with In the Garden of Beasts. It was a pretty good book, although a little boring at times.

I read that when it came out, and agree with your review. Altho' I always like the historical perspective, as what was it like to live during those times, not so long ago really, but so different from our time?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I just finished Randy Wayne White's new Doc Ford novel Bone Deep. It's the first time I've been disappointed; he's one of my favorite Florida authors. It just seemed too disjointed from the beginning. Although I'll admit it's the first time that the last line of one of his books has given me goose bumps.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980's by Jeff Pearlman. This is a good read.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I'm reading another excellent thriller in the Department Q series by Jussi Adler-Olsen. He's from Denmark. I think I've read 4 of his books so far.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Nevada Barr's Destroyer Angel. It's very tense, so I've been reading a couple of light-hearted chick-lit books over the weekend before I read the rest of it. Maybe some people wouldn't understand getting so into a book...

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Carly's Voice: Breaking Through Autism, by Arthur and Carly Fleischmann

Video below is based on an excerpt from the book:

[youtube]KmDGvquzn2k[/youtube]

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Anna Quindlen's novel, Still Life With Bread Crumbs. I loved this book, could not put it down, and that's unusual for me. I guess it could be construed as chick lit but I wouldn't classify it that way.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Nevada Barr's Destroyer Angel. It's very tense, so I've been reading a couple of light-hearted chick-lit books over the weekend before I read the rest of it. Maybe some people wouldn't understand getting so into a book...

That's the latest Nevada Barr, isn't it? I want to read that one too.

I'm reading another excellent thriller in the Department Q series by Jussi Adler-Olsen. He's from Denmark. I think I've read 4 of his books so far.

After finishing this book, I went to the online library catalog to reserve the next one in the series... only to discover that the one I was reading (purchased in paperback) was the newest. Ga!! Now I have to wait until fall for the next one to be released. :(