• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night, I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you're a new user, please re-register. If you posted yesterday, post twice as much on Friday. Again, I apologize. :(

What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Masswich

Cyburbian
Walkable City

I am not usually a fan of the preachy, New Urbanist, "planners should do better" kind of works (cough <<Kunstler>> cough) but I have been enjoying "Walkable City" by Jeff Speck. He knows that most planners know this stuff, and provides lots of good data and a light, enjoyable writing style that is refreshingly unpretentious. Basically, he argues that walkability is not just good for how a city looks, or the environment, but is quantifiably good for the city's economy.

He also acknowledges how hard it is to make change, particularly in smaller cities and places off the coasts. A good read (at least, so far.)

http://www.amazon.com/Walkable-City-Downtown-Save-America/dp/0865477728

Masswich

Cyburbian
The Modern Man by Anthony Flint, about Le Corbusier. A decent read but it jumps around a bit. Sure doesn't make me like Le Corbusier or his concepts any more than I did before.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I started it probably a year ago and put it down. My sister convinced me to start it again and now I'm really into it. Must have been a slow start, I suppose.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Books read count for 2014: 218
Up from 2013's 202

Clearly, i have no life... :r:
:) You have a fantastic life. I'm trying to read more this year and watch TV less. Accordingly, my kids gave me a copy of "As I Lay Dying" for Christmas. Started it the other night. Typical Faulkner, and I love it so far.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Started "Daughter of the God-King" by Anne Cleeland yesterday. Like it so much I've already put another book of hers on my library list.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Reading "Unbroken"
Great book!! I read it when it came out and gave it to RJ but I think he thought it was too depressing, plus he only reads books by the pool in the summer, so not much action there. Then I got the author's book about Seabiscuit and loved that, too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I'm trying something very different for me and picked up one of my wife's books "The Heist" by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. It's the closest I've come to reading a romance novel. So far It's fluff pure and simple, but it's not un-enjoyable in a guilty pleasure kinda way.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm trying something very different for me and picked up one of my wife's books "The Heist" by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. It's the closest I've come to reading a romance novel. So far It's fluff pure and simple, but it's not un-enjoyable in a guilty pleasure kinda way.
Just say it, Maister: you are reading "chick lit". Bwahahahaha...

otterpop

Cyburbian
Just say it, Maister: you are reading "chick lit". Bwahahahaha...
Next step is joining a book club and sitting around drinking wine with the girls. Not necessarily a bad thing.:D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Gift from my Secret Santa - Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette

Next up - from office Christmas gift exchange - Unbroken by Laura Hillembrand

otterpop

Cyburbian
Gone To Texas, by Forrest Carter, which is the book that the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales" is based on. The writing is very good and fast-paced. The movie follows the story pretty close and borrows a lot of the best lines from the book.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
"Clouds of Glory: the Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee"

I'm finished with the 'chick lit' phase of my life. That's over with. I enjoyed sharing a box o' Chardonnay with the gals while we talked about 50 Shades, Oprah, and The View, but that chapter is now behind me.

DVD

Cyburbian
I always feel so bad when I read this thread. It looks like everyone (but Maister) is reading some quality stuff. I tend to read fluff sci-fi or fantasy. Right now I'm reading some classics from Pierce Anthony, A Spell for A Chameleon and on occasion I pick up my ABZs of Planning book and read a little. I guess as long as I'm not reading the chick-lit like Maister and my wife. She reads that stuff too, but she has better taste and rejected 50 Shades and sometimes reads WEB Griffin. So yeah, she's more manly the Maister. Should I be scared?

otterpop

Cyburbian
I always feel so bad when I read this thread. It looks like everyone (but Maister) is reading some quality stuff. I tend to read fluff sci-fi or fantasy.
I have an unofficial rule of reading something "quality" and then reading something I just will enjoy. Sure Buddenbrooks was a classic but, man, it was long and quite a chore at times. I needed to cleanse the literary palate after that one with some Max Brand. I am thinking now that I finished Gone To Texas, I am going to read a Star Trek novel.

Reading a book takes a lot of time. Unless you are a reading powerhouse like Zoning Goddess. Read what you want.

The other day I was watching a Bonanza episode and it was one where the writers did a version of Of Mice and Men. Which got me thinking that I had never read it. I've seen countless versions or variations of the story in film and TV, but never read the source. I went online and checked out our local library and was surpised our library did not have a copy of it, in fact they hadn't had the print version since 2006.

DVD

Cyburbian
I find I read the fun books - slowly, not like ZG - and on occasion I'll find something like Mice and Men that I just decide I need to read that. It's a good book by the way. The author writes smoothly so it flows well. Not like Hawthorne or some of the older writers that tend to be a little more descriptive and jarring to read. I do tend to avoid the chick lit though. I haven't read Pride and Prejudice (my wife's favorite - hint for someone's reading), but I might read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. They sound interesting.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I always feel so bad when I read this thread. It looks like everyone (but Maister) is reading some quality stuff. I tend to read fluff sci-fi or fantasy. Right now I'm reading some classics from Pierce Anthony, A Spell for A Chameleon and on occasion I pick up my ABZs of Planning book and read a little. I guess as long as I'm not reading the chick-lit like Maister and my wife. She reads that stuff too, but she has better taste and rejected 50 Shades and sometimes reads WEB Griffin. So yeah, she's more manly the Maister. Should I be scared?
Hey, I'm sure many of us read sci-fi/fantasy. I read every thing Piers Anthony wrote decades ago, I have A Spell for a Chameleon probably first edition paperback. I am reading Lev Grossman's The Magician series, Deborah Harkness's All Soul's Trilogy, and Magnus Flyte, So you are not alone!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Checked out How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World by Steven Johnson this weekend. So far very interesting and has little facts/stories about famous inventions.

DVD

Cyburbian
For something different, I'm reading Starship Troopers. Remember the bad movie about marines killing bugs. Forget that. The book is mostly about the importance of doing your civic duty and why a hard volunteer military service (or other service) should be a basis for citizenship and voting. There just happens to be a bug war going on at the same time.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I am getting the impression some of you think I read junk; well, I do but I read a lot of good stuff, too. Being unemployed, which I'd rather not be, and having only so many opportunities to clean the white tile floors, I have to do something...

DVD

Cyburbian
I am getting the impression some of you think I read junk; well, I do but I read a lot of good stuff, too. Being unemployed, which I'd rather not be, and having only so many opportunities to clean the white tile floors, I have to do something...
Read the junk, hell I'm reading about space marines killing space roaches. If that's not junk I don't know what is.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Read the junk, hell I'm reading about space marines killing space roaches. If that's not junk I don't know what is.
I am reading Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant . So, a combination of junk and "good stuff". A win-win. :p

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
:) You have a fantastic life. I'm trying to read more this year and watch TV less. Accordingly, my kids gave me a copy of "As I Lay Dying" for Christmas. Started it the other night. Typical Faulkner, and I love it so far.
Good for you. I have some kind of phobia about reading "classic literature". I would rather die. Must have to do with required classes way back when.

DVD

Cyburbian
Okay, done with the Starship Troopers book, it's more about the philosophy of civic duty than killing bugs, but not bad. I've picked up A Brave New World, mostly because it was on the list of books to read, but also because Ursus mentioned reading it sometime.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Just finished "Trust No One" by Jayne Ann Krentz. Pretty good, just not one of her best.

About to start "Murder In Thrall" by Anne Cleeland.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I am reading Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant . So, a combination of junk and "good stuff". A win-win. :p
Interesting, I'm doing something quite similar as I'm currently reading The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly.

This morning I started the chapter about determinism and the illusion of free will.

DVD

Cyburbian
I was reading this classic Star Wars tale as told by Shakespeare from the online library, but something happened and I can't bring it up on the ipad anymore. I'll have to try checking it out again after I read my Assassin's Apprentice book (more trash).
http://media.firebox.com/pdfs/Star-Wars_excerpt.pdf
Enjoy the excerpt though.

Coragus

Cyburbian
I'm rereading God's Debris by Scott Adams. It's not a Dilbert book, just a thought experiment.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Gail Carriger's Changeless, book 2 in a series of 5. Have the next one on order at the library, and the remaining 2 bookmarked. I love her alternate version of Victorian England - just off enough to be weird, but hinting at things to come in man's timeline (dirigibles, other inventions, supernatural beings).

The One

Cyburbian
Yeah.....

As I've said before, I have my books read to me:science::brofist:

Impact by Douglas Preston right now.....

DVD

Cyburbian
Reading some series by David Eddings. I think the one I'm on is called The Queen of Prophecy. Usual epic tale about boy who saves the world from an evil god.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Reading some series by David Eddings. I think the one I'm on is called The Queen of Prophecy. Usual epic tale about boy who saves the world from an evil god.
The Belgariad and the follow-up series The Mallorean. Excellent choices in the Sword and Horse fantasy genre! I have both series and reread them every few years. Eddings has another series with jewels in the titles that is also good, but his Elder Gods series is a snoozer.

DVD

Cyburbian
The Belgariad and the follow-up series The Mallorean. Excellent choices in the Sword and Horse fantasy genre! I have both series and reread them every few years. Eddings has another series with jewels in the titles that is also good, but his Elder Gods series is a snoozer.
Not bad, it's no Lord of the Rings or Dragonlance, but it works for me.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Finished The Empty Throne, which is really good if you like the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. I started This Band Could Be Your Life, which covers the post punk/hard core/alternative movement from 1981-1991.