• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Recently finished RED VICTORY (A HISTORY OF THE RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR), by W. Bruce Lincoln.

Awesome read for those interested in the commie pinkos, their fight with the remnants of the Czar's army, and how the world dealt with a "new" Russia that thought itself champion of a new world revolution.

What is amazing are the very horrible things that people did to each other, in the name of ideologies that were each as disgusting as the other.

Comrade Bear

vaughan

Cyburbian
I'm halfway through the 911 commission's official report... hands down the most fascinating thing the federal government has ever read. Impossible to read the first chapter without feeling emotionally exhausted.

tsc

Cyburbian
"Miracle at Sing Sing" most facinating book about the warden of Sing Sing from 1920-1941.... Lewis Lawes. He wrote books, screen plays, broadway shows.... was a proponent of reform and spoke adamantly against racism, Anti-Semitism and Nazi germany. Was remarkable how he used popular media to the hilt to get his views out. He was also against capital punishment...yet still oversaw over 300 electricutions...

To paraphrase a reviewer (Mario Cuomo) ......if it were written as fiction it would be dismissed as unbelievable and farfetched.

I was so interested in this fellow that I just purchased a book on Ebay Lewis Lawes wrote in the 30's.... "20,000 Years at Sing Sing"..... so that will be my next book!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Just finished "City on Fire" by Bill Minutaglio.
It is about the Texas City, TX ammonium nitrate explosions in 1947.

donk

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Am part way through 'Brave New World' but finding it a little hard going. Have 'Burning Chrome' by William Gibson waiting in the wings.

Burning chrome was a hard read for me and probbaly the last Gibson book I'll ever read, he's had his 2 chance with me and both did nothing for me. Guess I'm not a cyberpunk

Just finished "what is welsh for zen? - the autobiography of john cale" Picked it up relatively cheaply a few weeks ago.

In the queue is Ken Kesey's "sailor song".

JNL

Cyburbian
donk said:
Burning chrome was a hard read for me and probbaly the last Gibson book I'll ever read, he's had his 2 chance with me and both did nothing for me. Guess I'm not a cyberpunk

I have read and really enjoyed Neuromancer, Idoru and Virtual Light. Have heard Burning Chrome is a bit different from the others.

SkeL recommended another cyberpunk novel that has become one of my favourite books: Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson.

nighthawk1959

Cyburbian
no pshrinks please

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, The Gor series by John Norman, The entire Dune series by Frank Herbert and son[also have the movies], alternate history series The Great War by Harry Turtledove, almost anything by Isaac Asimov. See why I said no pshrinks? I'm a freak.

BKM

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Am part way through 'Brave New World' but finding it a little hard going. Have 'Burning Chrome' by William Gibson waiting in the wings.

Yeah. despite the ideas (which are spot on), he is not that good of a WRITER, IMO Its sitting in my bookcase for a while now-I need to finish it.

Is Burning Chrome the newest Gibson? I really, really like his last novel about the label-phobic "coolfinder"!

nighthawk1959 said:
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, The Gor series by John Norman, The entire Dune series by Frank Herbert and son[also have the movies], alternate history series The Great War by Harry Turtledove, almost anything by Isaac Asimov. See why I said no pshrinks? I'm a freak.

Ah. Don't feel that way. If you look up and down these threads, there's a lot of science fiction and fantasy (see my Dark Tower post). Remember, michaelskis and El Guapo aside, planner=nerd :) :)

On another note, I got so pissed off at the Gene Wolf collection mentioned above (the second volume in the collection) that I, for the first time ever, threw a book in the TRASH. Book of the Long Sun turned out to be pretty lousy and BORING. Endless pontificating about a weird cyber-religion and no real plot. Awful, awful dialogue in the second volume.

Last edited by a moderator:

jordanb

Cyburbian
I'm between books right now. I just finished Farewell to Arms, before that, I read The Sun Also Rises. I'm on a big Hemmingway trip right now. I think I'll go to a used bookstore and see if I can find more of his stuff.

Tom R

Cyburbian

vaughan said:
I'm halfway through the 911 commission's official report... hands down the most fascinating thing the federal government has ever read. Impossible to read the first chapter without feeling emotionally exhausted.

I'm doing the same and feeling the same. bummer alert!.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Sue Grafton: "R is for Ricochet", a Kinsey Millhone mystery

Gosh, Sue is already up to R! What is she going to do once she passes Z? Will she go onto AA, BB, etc. or onto numbers, from 1 to the nth number?

In the last little while, my selection of readings has been rather limited. They're curriculum guidelines, profiles (how to do lessons for a unit), specific and dry rules at the high school, a Grade 9 Academic Geography textbook, and the usual set of readings for classes.

Maybe I'll digress this coming weekend as it's Thanksgiving up here in Canada! :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I just picked up the new Clive Cussler "Black Wind" a Dirk Pitt Novel. :h:

Man With a Plan

Cyburbian
A People's History of the United States.

The more I read this book, the more I am angered because I was taught the wrong history.

I highly recommend it!!! In addition, if anyone would like to discuss it, game on.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Having more time to read finally (AICP exam is OVER), I can get on with my to-read list:

The Apothocary Rose - set in medievil York. It's the first one for me in the Owen Archer series, and at 1/2 way through, I'm definately going to read more.
"The Belgariad" series from David (and Leigh) Eddings for the umpteenth time. I love this series!
I have a couple of issues of Archeology magazine waiting.

I'm waiting for Lauren Haney's next Lt. Bak book - set in ancient Eqypt under Pharaoh Hapshetsut. I also have Christian Jacq on my amazon list - his Ramses series was awesome, even if I disagreed on several key points.

Pride of Place

Cyburbian
Skimmng through Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead for the third time. Funny, it's just as painful this time as it was in high school (1984) and the first go round in college (1985) as it is in my current attempt at higher education. Will they EVER make the Cliff's Notes to this book?! Don't even get me started on Atlas Shrugged...ugh.

Tom R

Cyburbian
books

Finished the 911 Commission Report and just started "And a voive to sing with" (I think that's the correct wording). It's a circa 1988 memoir of Joan Baez.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
At the present time I am not reading anything other than the newspaper and the occasional planning mag. I'm taking December off to eat sweets and go to christmas parties

Come the new year I will be reading the same thing as TNOS.... The Green Bible
the north omaha star said:
The Green Bible. It's AICP exam time.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I just finished "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. I scrolled this thread quickly, but I didn't see any other mention of it. I thought it was great.

I'm about to read the academic-y "From Chicago to L.A. - Making Sense of Urban Theory" by Michael Dear.

JNL

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Is Burning Chrome the newest Gibson? I really, really like his last novel about the label-phobic "coolfinder"!
Sorry didn't see your question back when you posted it. The answer is no - Burning Chrome is a collection of some of his early short stories. I still haven't read it! I believe Pattern Recognition is his latest.

Currently I'm reading a NZ book called Swim, about a young widow who discovers she has breast cancer, and she finds swimming a comfort when she wants to forget anything. Quite an emotional read!

BKM

Cyburbian
Now reading "In the Hot Zone" an Australian journalist's impressions of several southeastern Asian cities. So far, Malaysia/Kuala Lumpur, which actually sounds rather nice.

Man With a Plan said:
A People's History of the United States.

The more I read this book, the more I am angered because I was taught the wrong history.

I highly recommend it!!! In addition, if anyone would like to discuss it, game on.

Is this the right history, though? Of course, it has its own biases. Every event is victimization of the poor oppressed working class by the evil, monolithic corporate rulers. Its been a long while, so maybe I need to read it again???

Last edited by a moderator:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Vacation readings plans...

Hmmm I have no plans for vacations readings yet, I generally wait until Christmas to start on any books (you know, sometimes Santa brings books as presents); although The da Vinci code is looking interesting there in the bookshelf :) I could also start some readings for my courses next semester... but I generally do that around February (I mean c'mon I gotta relax a bit, I just finished my semester a few days ago!)
When I go back to classes in March I'll see if I take out a Jane Jacobs book I' saw before, that I forgot to take out before comming to Valdivia :p

EDIT: I just saw this and I had to add my opinion :)
JNL said:
I believe Pattern Recognition is his latest.
Yup, Pattern Recognition is his latest, I read it last (southern) summer (if I'm not mistaken). It's quite an interesting book to read with some really fun (in Gibson style of course) parts :) I had a great time reading it and it cought me fast! So if anybody is interested, you at least know it has my aproval :-D

donk

Cyburbian
Finishing up on Hunter Thompson's "Hey Rube", a collection of his work from espn.

Started reading I am Charlotte Simmons last night

Looking forward to Douglas Coupland's new one due out any time now.

Coragus

Cyburbian
Right now, I'm kind of reading the second of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Honestly, it's not as entertaining as I want, but it's one of those things where I've invested so much time into it that I'm damn well going to finish it now.

Oh yeah, I'm also re-reading a role playing book for a potential game after the holidays!

nerudite

Cyburbian
I just read Henry and June, and I am currently working through Nin's childhood diary. I can only read about 50 pages at a time before I start to nod off... so it will take a long time! I'm about to get into Nabokov's Despair, which I received for Christmas. After that, who knows... maybe I'll even read a planning related book (yeah right!) ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Last Ridge by McKay Jenkins

Subtitle: The Epic Story of the U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Divsion and the Assualt on Hitler's Europe

IMO - The original 10th Mountain Division = RUGGED

BKM

Cyburbian
Now reading (almost finished) China Mieville's Iron Council, an absolutely interesting "Steam-Punk" Science Fiction Novel.

China Mieville is a (somewhat Marxist-oriented) Economics researcher in London who has created this fascinatingly complex City-State named "New Crobruzon" based largely on the horrors of Victorian London with a strong dose of magical technology, steam punk, and non-human (and very odd) species thrown in. For example, much of the scut work is done by "ReMade" ex-cons transformed by "punishment factories" into weird combinations of man and machine or man and animal.

His first novel, Perdido Street Station (railroad lovers will love this city!) envisioned the City under attack by murderous "slake moths" who infected the entire city's dreams via nightmares and could not easily be killed because the moths existed only partly in our dimension. His second novel, The Scar, followed its characters on a floating Sargasso Sea melange of ships and vessels pulled by giant sea monsters in the search for a rip in the fabric of reality. The current novel looks at a city at war with a shadowy enemy while in the grips of working class revolution. The term Iron Council refers to a railroad train that during a dispute over unpaid wages escaped the control of the city and its murderous militia and is now a source of inspiration to the (fading) revolution. Defitiely the most explicitly Marxist of the three novels.

He is a writer who requires a LOT of patience. His details and the world he creates are fascinating, but his writing skills (plot, character development, pacing, balance, proportion) are a work in progress. Another poster on another board noted that in his first New Crobruzon novel, Perdido Street Station, he "lost view of the plot entirely :) ) Nonetheless, despite the novels' shortcomings, the worlds he creates, especially the horrific technology, is absolutely fascinating. Enough so to overlook the semi-Marxist cant in his current book.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The Old Way of Seeing - Jonathan Hale

The Baltimore Rowhouse - Hayward & Belfoure

clare2582

Cyburbian
Total trash, yet entertaining: "He's Just Not That Into You" Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo
and now "The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green" by Joshua Braff.

I haven't been really reading anything lately, this is a good way to ease my way back into it.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Stiff - The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach

Also going through the 25th anniversary edition of "Granta" magazine

Finally read "Emergence: Labeled Autistic" by Temple Grandin last night. Now I need to read "The Gift of a Dyslexia" and "Thinking in Pictures". :)

nighthawk1959

Cyburbian
Coragus, the second book of that series is the slowest of the bunch. But stick with it because all the factors will be important before you get all 10 or is it 12 books read. Then you will start back through them to pick up even more stuff. I think I am up to 5 or 6 readings so far. Every time he comes out with a new one I go back through the entire series. I need a life.

JNL

Cyburbian
I'm reading The God of Small Things. Finding it hard to get started. Has anyone else read this?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'm currently starting America: The Book by Jon Stewart (Christmas present). I've heard good things and love The Daily Show, so I've got good vibes on this one.

I've got People's History of the United States reserved at the library.

I've got about a week left to do some pleasure reading before the next semester of grad classes cranks up. :-c

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Just finished a novel, Jim Harrison's True North, which you U.P. types should enjoy. I thought it was a very good story about a very dysfunctional family.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I have gotta get my trash fill so I am reading Julie Garwood's "The Wedding." I love this fluff stuff.

Budgie

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I'm about to get into Nabokov's Despair, which I received for Christmas.

Let me know what you think about Despair. I've read Nabakov's Lolita and Glory. Obviously I recommend Lolita but wouldn't recommend Glory.

I finished The Idiot by Dostoyevsky and am about half way through Gogol's Dead Souls, which may be the greatest novel that was never finished. The author took 8 years to finish Part 1 of what was to be a novel in 3 parts. He finished the first 4 Chapters of Part 2 and wrote one of the final chapters. Gogol went insane with religious fanatacism and ultimately committed suicide. My kind of author. I just finished Sylvia Plath's Bell Jar a couple of months ago. Nothing like authors on the brink.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just started "D-Day June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle Of World War II", by Stephen Ambrose.

Bear

donk

Cyburbian
GMAT study manuals blahhh.

Good reading

Charlotte Simmons was rally good, even teh bad sex scene.

Coupland's Eleanor Rigby was also entertaining.

Spider Robinson - Unpleasant Deaths 9 I think that was teh title) - not as good as his earlier works. Can kind of tell he is now writing to fulfill contractual agreements.

Rereading some of my book collection.

Next anticipated read is Will Eisner's interpretation of the "Elders of Zion", the book that is responsible for most anti semiticism in the world.

Due to being unemployed, book buying habit is going to have to go on hold. Good thing is that there are good libraries in Toronto.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I just finished The Lewis and Clark Companion , an encyclopedia of Lewis and Clark information. It was an intersting, though fragmented way of learning more about the Voyage of Discovery.

Also am reading American the Book, by Jon Stewart and those cut-ups from the Daily Show. It is a hoot.

zman

Cyburbian
I am almost done with Tales from Margaritaville from Jimmy Buffett. It is a collection of short stories that he wrote when his album "Off to see the Lizard" came out "way back when...." It is pretty good and I am enjoying the short story format very much.

My library pile also includes a book about a guy who rode across Australia on his bike (which is next, probably to be started tonight).

I also ordered a rerelease of The Masked Rider by Neil Peart (drummer for Rush) about his cycling adventures through West Africa.

The cycling books are to keep me inspired to ride as the weather gets warmer.