• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Gumption by Nick Offerman. Don't waste your time. Boring.
___

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Fall and Rise - The Story of 9/11 by Mitchell Zuckoff. Riveting. Can't put it down.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
John Adams by David McCullough

It's quite voluminous, but a fantastic relatively easy read and really opens one's eyes that John Adams should be much more highly regarded as a Founding Father than he popularly is.

I'm at his Presidency period right now. Woof...he had it tough.

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
John Adams by David McCullough

It's quite huge, but a fantastic read and really opens ones eyes that John Adams should be much more highly regarding as a Founding Father than he popularly is.

I'm at this Presidency period right now. Woof...he had it tough.
Red Jacket by Joseph Heywood. It's about the first game wardens in the Keweenaw Peninsula/ Upper Peninsula in Michigan during the early 1900's. Heywood'd writing takes getting used to, but it's not a bad read.

Reactions: kms

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
9780062954756.jpg

Reactions: kms

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just finished The Vanishing Act by Brit Bennett and it was very good - I got insight in the world of colorism within the black community and the communities created from the children of slave owners and their slaves - I like how the writer creates characters we don't pity but yet we feel their pain and marvel at their pragmatism

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I've been bookless for several months. Maybe the longest stretch ever as an adult. Yesterday, however, I ended the drought and started "The Secret History of WW2". It's a big ol' hardbound book. I might go as far as to call it a 'coffee table book' due to its size and the number of pictures.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm thinking about picking up Submarines of World War Two and between the Wars - by H. Am. Mers

;) :p o_O

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The authoritative book on how Los Angeles got to be the way it is today: Most of the disasters that we equate with L.A. are the result of bad planning and rampant uncontrolled development. But it was written in the mid-1990s and could use some updating.

Mike Davis - Ecology of Fear.jpg

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Wow - I've been reading non-heavy stuff to take my mind off of the family issues.

Finished: The Vanishing, Jayne Ann Krentz

Started: The Thursday Murder Club, Richard Osman

On deck: Just One Damned Thing After Another - The Chronicles of St. Mary's, Jodi Taylor