• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

clare2582

Cyburbian
A "younger readers" book suggested by a co-worker. It is definitely meant for 14 year old girls to read, but its cute no less ... "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants". Can't remember the author.

BKM

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
My library pile also includes a book about a guy who rode across Australia on his bike (which is next, probably to be started tonight).

I read his National Geographic article-quite, quite interesting, but....

Maybe its because I am getting old or lazy or something, but it merely confirms my growing dislike of the "extreme sport" mania exemplified by magazines like Outside. :-$

Is that much misery for so little purpose really an admirable thing? Still, it was interesting.

zman

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I read his National Geographic article-quite, quite interesting, but....

Maybe its because I am getting old or lazy or something, but it merely confirms my growing dislike of the "extreme sport" mania exemplified by magazines like Outside. :-$

Is that much misery for so little purpose really an admirable thing? Still, it was interesting.

I agree, I just want to read something to keep me inspired to keep biking... usually if I read something that has to do with what I am doing/interested in, then I will keep at it.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer
Is worth reading!

Hey Gedunker have you read it yet ?

SGB

Cyburbian
The Best American Short Stories, 1997, edited by E. Annie Proulx.

A great collection of previously published short fiction.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
John Grisham's "The Broker"

Finally read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" last night and am wondering what the big deal about this book is? It was pretty ho-hum to me.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Just finished The Da Vinci Code (I know, I'm late)....started Black Wind by Clive & Dirk Cussler.

Next is Labrynth of Evil....the Star Wars book set in between Episode II and III.

Hceux

Cyburbian
I've only read one fictional book in the last little while It's "Five people who you meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. It's quite a good book.

Also, I've read two "graphic novels" which are a cross-over of comic books and fictions. The titles are "Beg to Question" and "Paul has a summer job."

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Just finished The Da Vinci Code
Heh.. I read that recently too...(a week ago) Sadly I had read Angels and Demons a year before; and even with that faint memory of A&D I sensed that The Da Vinci Code resembles "slightly" to A&D... kind of... formulaic... :-{
Sucks to feel like you're reading the book twice when you're actually not.

Jen

Cyburbian
I've just finished Kitchen Confidential:Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by ANthony Bourdain.2000.

This is a page turner of a book, Tony is a chef from New York used to have his own FN show called a "A Cooks Tour" takin his viewers on culinary expeditions looking for authentic legendary dishes. Here he exposes his passion, the restaurant business and his rise from a fry house junkie cook to an executive chef in NYC. He's like the Hunter S, Thompson of the cooking world!

psylo

Cyburbian
Right now I'm reading John Rawls' Political Liberalism and Robert Dahl's On Democracy for classes. There interesting books, but let just say you probably wouldn't want to take these on vacation.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I just finished reading Long Way Round, about a three-month long motorcycle trip from London to New York by actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. I'm not into motorcycles at all, but I really enjoy travelogues, whether people are driving or biking or walking or even traveling by camel. The descriptions of the Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia were especially interesting.

They filmed the trip, and the six-part documentary is supposed to be on Bravo in a couple of weeks...

http://www.longwayround.com/lwr.htm

Groovy Iguana

Hceux said:
I've only read one fictional book in the last little while It's "Five people who you meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. It's quite a good book.

I read the other one that he wrote - Tuesdays with Morrie. Really enjoyed it. Hard to find a book that makes people feel good about dying.

About the fiction... I have a no fiction rule while college is in session, so I'm reading The Sling and the Stone: On War in the 21st century. Fun stuff.

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
Lets see - There are two or three of them...

1. A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)
2. In a sunburnt Country (Bill Bryson)
3. The Gunslinger Series (Steven King)
4. The Da Vinci Code (can't remember)
5. Surrey Zoning By-Law and Official Community Plan

I've always got two or three or more books on the go...

donk

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
I agree, I just want to read something to keep me inspired to keep biking... usually if I read something that has to do with what I am doing/interested in, then I will keep at it.

Might I suggest checking out "Bicycle Love" from www.breakawaybooks.com

It is a collection of short stories written by average peopl eand sent in to the publisher about their passion for cycling. Some are good, most are ok, some are full on glurge. Interesting enough read.

BKM

Cyburbian
MitchBaby said:
Lets see - There are two or three of them...

1. A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)
2. In a sunburnt Country (Bill Bryson)
3. The Gunslinger Series (Steven King)
4. The Da Vinci Code (can't remember)
5. Surrey Zoning By-Law and Official Community Plan

I've always got two or three or more books on the go...

Just finished The Dark Tower this fall. Somewhat of a let-down, but interesting nonetheless and fascinating to the end. I don't think you will guess the ending.

I just bought Kafka on the Shore, by a Japanese writer named Murakama. Rave reviews in New York Times and the local bird cage liner, so it's time to get a little more "literary." Also picked up "In the Rose Garden of the Martyrs," a memoir written by a reporter for The Economist who is married to a Persian and lives in Tehran.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
"The Winshaw Legacy" - Jonathan Coe

"Slaughterhouse Five" - Kurt Vonnegut (first time for me :-$ )

Also leafing through "How to Build Almost Anything" - ?, and Popular Woodworking's "Tips and Techniques for Building with wood" (?). I'm trying to get my built-in bookcases done.

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
"Slaughterhouse Five" - Kurt Vonnegut (first time for me :-$ )

If you like it, let me know and I'll suggest others. My favourite Vonnegut is Jailbird, or "for deal nancy and good old ralph..." ;)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I've always wanted to read an Ian McEwan book. I've heard so much about his writing abilities and know that he's won the UK Booker prize and maybe even a Pulitizer (for "Amsterdam" or "Atonement".

The only book that wasn't checked out from the library was his first novel, "The Cement Garden." It is well written, but quite strange. I will finish it, but there are some disturbing dynamics that I couln't stomach at first. I'll get "Enduring Love" next by him if I can find it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I just finished The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck and Best of American Splendor by Harvey Pekar. The News from Paraguay is overrated, IMHO; the pacing is awkward, and as a reader I kept feeling I was missing out on backstory, if not missing important parts of the plot. Tuck tried to pack too much story into 200-plus pages.

Currently, I'm working my way through The Smell of Apples by Mark Behr, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

On the bookshelf and in the queue are:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (science fiction)
Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (novel)
The Marx Family Saga by Juan Goytisolo (surrealist fiction)
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (surrealist fiction)
Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong by Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow (non-fiction)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I got the Vintage guide to Paul Bowles's works yesterday at the library. He is awesome for anyone who likes dark, psychological fiction. He writes mostly about North Africa, where he lived as an American ex-patriate for years.

"The Sheltering Sky" by him is one of my favorite books.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Just finished Bad Beats & Lucky Draws by poker pro Phil Hellmuth.....still in the midst of reading Cussler's Black Wind.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Read two of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels over the weekend (I love them... only takes me about 2.5 hours per book, woohoo!) Going to start Hitchiker's Guide tonight (unless I give in to the urge to finish the last three books of the Plum series, which is very tempting!).

Budgie

Cyburbian
Finished Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol.

1/3 of the way through Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev.

SideshowBob

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Also am reading American the Book, by Jon Stewart and those cut-ups from the Daily Show. It is a hoot.

This book is hilarious. I just read it--most of it on airplanes. I could barely control my laughter--I must have looked pretty stupid.

This is a must read. It is just tremendous satire/cynicism.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Me, I'm readig "Risk - A Practical Guide for deciding What's Really Safe and What's Really Dangerous in the World Around You" by David Ropeik and George Gray. This book was offered as a stusy guide to participants in a provincial government "risk management and communiciaitons group" to which I belong.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
I'm into light romance vampire books right now...known as "mental candy" . This one is called "Undead...Unwed"....just plain relaxing to read. Escape reading.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
I'm into light romance vampire books right now...known as "mental candy" . This one is called "Undead...Unwed"....just plain relaxing to read. Escape reading.
And I'm reading the 4th book in a vampire series that sc and TN recommended. Great read!

BKM

Cyburbian
I'm reading a sword and sorcery series right now. Glen Cook's Dark Company series. Awesome! :-$

zman

Cyburbian
I am reading Neil Peart's Traveling Music, sort of a story of his life as the drummer for Rush and his musical influences of his life. It is interesting, but I often find myself bored while he drones on about obscure bands he likes.
But I still like his writing prowess as well as his ability to tell other stories in the book.

So far my resolution for this year is progressing quite nicely: Reading a book a month has turned into 5 books so far and it is only mid March. :-D :-D

All thanks to bad TV and no NHL.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have always been a fan of historical novels.....such as the James Michener books like "Hawaii", "Texas", "Poland", and "Alaska".

These novels usually span a long period of time, focusing on a family or a group of families who inhabit a certain area.

Question: Does anybody know of any novels that treat the Great Lakes area like this?

Bear

zman

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
I have always been a fan of historical novels.....such as the James Michener books like "Hawaii", "Texas", "Poland", and "Alaska".

Bear

James Michener was a figure at my (and The One's) University.
Having taught there, and wrote his novel Centennial about the land just east of there he was pretty popular at the school. (Back then of course) The library is named after him and has sort of a mini museum of his life and works there)

I may have been the only recent student to look at the collection in the museum as well as read one of his books, The Bridge at Andau, about the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.

Good call, Bear, I will have to check some of his other titles out for later reading.

BKM

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I just finished The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck and Best of American Splendor by Harvey Pekar. The News from Paraguay is overrated, IMHO; the pacing is awkward, and as a reader I kept feeling I was missing out on backstory, if not missing important parts of the plot. Tuck tried to pack too much story into 200-plus pages.

Currently, I'm working my way through The Smell of Apples by Mark Behr, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

On the bookshelf and in the queue are:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (science fiction)
Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (novel)
The Marx Family Saga by Juan Goytisolo (surrealist fiction)
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (surrealist fiction)
Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong by Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow (non-fiction)

Dan: What did you think of American Gods? I quite enjoyed it.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Wicked...

Just finished reading "Wicked" - the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and believe it or not, there was so much in there that I need to read it again (this time with someone else so we can discuss it at every turn). SUCH A GREAT BOOK on the social/economic/political LAND OF OZ.

(yep, you know who it's about...Dorothy kills her at the end of the movie) Come to find out, she and Glinda, the good witch, were roommates in college (WHO KNEW??)

B

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
My reading process has changed in the last year or so. Not sure if it is a lack of concentration or too much time on my hands. All of my life I was a person who read a book, from start to finish, before starting another book.

Color that "changed".

Now I am in the process of reading ALL of the following:

War & Peace
The Stand (My third or fourth reading of this great King novel.)
D-Day
The Hobbit (My sixth or seventh reading of this pre-Lord Of The Rings fantasy)
Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer
Minnesota Atlas & Gazetter
Northern California Atlas & Gazetter

My daily mood determines what I grab to read. Today I spent some time with "D-Day".

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Just starting Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". But I suspect, as always, nothing he's done measures up to The Andromeda Strain.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I am reading a Sophie Kinsella book on tape. She is such a hoot! I just started reading the Shopaholics series. Oh, she is a great author.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
I am reading a Sophie Kinsella book on tape. She is such a hoot! I just started reading the Shopaholics series. Oh, she is a great author.
You haven't emailed your author suggestions to me yet!

Mine:

Anne George
Elizabeth Peters
Janet Evanovich (for god's sake read these, you'll die laughing!)

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:

I agree - she's a great author - and such a quick read. I think it took me about a week to get through all three Shopaholic books (the 4th one wasn't out yet).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Just finished:

"Loser Goes First" - Dan Kennedy (lent to me by Donk). Hilarious read
"Fast Food Nation" - Eric Schlosser (?). Very informative, not as aggressive as I had heard.
"Timequake" - Kurt Vonnegut.

Next up:

"Deadeye Dick" - Kurt Vonnegut.

Bear, I tend to read the way you are these days. One book for commuting, one in the office, and one or two laying aroudn at home usually.

BKM

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Bear, I tend to read the way you are these days. One book for commuting, one in the office, and one or two laying aroudn at home usually.

Me, too.

Although, I have to admit this silly sword and sorcery series is holding my interest pretty well (Glen Cook). I'm on book 3 now! ;-)

I also collect architecture and urban photography books, which I typically don't "read" from cover to cover but peruse at leisure. GIven my fetish for old industrial architecture, I am now reading "Lofts of Berlin" (I loved this architecture before it was hip, I'll have you know :) )

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hmm:
-Climatology text books :-| (Thank god, it's not the dull Strahler text books! :D)
and other university related books :( :victory: