• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Finished Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol.

1/3 of the way through Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev.

Finished - Fathers and Sons and a compilation of letters written by Abraham Lincoln.
Started - The Pearl by Steinbeck today.
On Deck - My Uncle's Dream by Dostoyevsky and Deception Point by Brown.

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky
also some plays by Eugene Ionesco
uhhh... and my course readings... of course... ;)

Budgie

Cyburbian
abrowne said:
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I finished The Idiot a few months ago. IMO it's one of his 5 best. I've read 14 of his novels and here are my top 5 in order.

Crime and Punishment
Brothers Karamazov
The Possessed (Demons)
The Idiot
The Gambler

His weakest, IMO

The Insulted and Injured

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
RandomPlanner... said:
I agree - she's a great author - and such a quick read. I think it took me about a week to get through all three Shopaholic books (the 4th one wasn't out yet).

If you like Sophie Kinsella's books, try Jenny Colgan's Amanda's Wedding. I really enjoyed her book and now have some short stories by her.

BKM

Cyburbian
Book 5 in the Glen Cook series. The Black Company is now facing...The Shadowmasters! :-D

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
Rereading the Fiery Cross. Only Gabaldon book that I have not read more than once.

I started to do the same thing, but then got distracted with another book and put it back down.

BikePlanIt

Cyburbian
Brooks' "Planning Theory for Practitioners"
I dig the feedback model idea, just wish somebody else could receive all the feedback. This book does a better job of describing planning processes clearly than any other. Simply getting stakeholders to define a problem, rather than starting with a goal is huge.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Nevada Barr's "Hard Truth"
13th story with Anna Pigeon, now in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Nevada Barr's "Hard Truth"
13th story with Anna Pigeon, now in Rocky Mountain National Park.
Oooh, I love those, I have Hard Truth on hold at the library but it will probably be a couple weeks before I get a copy.
Currently, I'm reading Randy Wayne White's "Tampa Burn", another excellent Florida author.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear is still reading "D-Day". As I read each paragraph I flip back to maps of the battle areas in France.....makes for a very slow read but wow what a story!

Incredible planning.....many things went wrong.....some things that went wrong actually helped the cause of the Allies, because it confused the Germans. And boy did they screw up.....asleep at the switch when we crossed the Channel.

Dwight David Bear

GISgal

Cyburbian
Finding Serenity. Book about Firefly television show that was on a short time. Nwe movie I will be out in August.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Fascinating for Gearheads, Bizheads, and Anyone Else

Just started - Wheels for the World: Henry Ford, His Company, and a Century of Progress by Douglas Brinkley. Looks to be a grand read; I've enjoyed Brinkley's other works. He does a very thorough job on his topics and Henry Ford is a real interesting one.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Zoning Goddess said:
.... Anybody else know what "Another shirt ruined!" means?
ahhh, dripping red wine on a new shirt? Right now: "Seasons of Real Florida" by Jeff Klinkenberg. Da Man lent it to me.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
ahhh, dripping red wine on a new shirt? Right now: "Seasons of Real Florida" by Jeff Klinkenberg. Da Man lent it to me.
Is that a FL history book?
And the shirt thing: it's a line in a series of books about Amelia Peabody, Egyptologist.
Also "Another year. Another dead body."

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I had to select a public administration/politics book for one of my grad courses to write a report on.

The book I've selected is God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It by Jim Wallis.

I just started reading it and it definitely seems to be a very interesting read thus far for those of you into these types of books. It was featured on The Daily Show sometime back, and Jon Stewart hasn't led me astray yet! This is probably a good book to pick up for those of you that are always fed-up with the candidate choices and don't feel like there's anyone to represent your opinion or find your politics matching up with parts of each candidate. I'll post my report on it once I finish it up. Also, if any of you have already read this, please let me know as I am kind of under a deadline (procrastinating) and have to finish a research paper this week.

I've also thought about picking up Friedman's The World is Flat. I read The Lexus and the Olive Tree last year and enjoyed the read, though I didn't necessarily agree with all his views.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Finished - "My Uncle's Dream" by Dostoyevsky
Started - "The Nature of Economies" by Jacobs
Several on the Shelf.

My reading has slowed recently..... mind on other things.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Just finished Jon Stewart's America, which was fairly amusing. Got old toward the end but was quite funny in the beginning.

Will probably start Despair by Nabokov next.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Shelby Foote's Shiloh, it is about the Civil War battle.
and I have visited the National Park.

BKM

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Carl Hiaasen's "Hoot". It's actually a kids book, but it's pretty amusing in Hiaasen's usual twisted way.

"Hoot" rocked! I read it last year when I rode the sardine can (aka "airplane) back east last year. My mother also got a big kick out of it. I love Hiaasen. Something about the twisted reality :p of Florida inspires great novels-especially "detective novels."

noj

Cyburbian
Am currently reading 'The London Pigeon Wars' by Patrick Neate. So far, its funny and very clever. One of the best books I've read for a while, and a little bit different.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
I got the Vintage guide to Paul Bowles's works yesterday at the library. He is awesome for anyone who likes dark, psychological fiction. He writes mostly about North Africa, where he lived as an American ex-patriate for years.

"The Sheltering Sky" by him is one of my favorite books.

I love his short stories... his wife has a book of short stories as well that are quite good.

Budgie

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Will probably start Despair by Nabokov next.

Let me know how it is. Have you read much Nabokov? Obviously, Lolita was really good, but Glory wasn't, IMO.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Let me know how it is. Have you read much Nabokov? Obviously, Lolita was really good, but Glory wasn't, IMO.

Yeah, I have read a lot of Nabokov. My favourites are King, Queen, Knave, Invitation to a Beheading and Mary (Mary being my absolute favourite). Lolita is great too. The copy of Despair I have I received for Christmas (it's a first edition so I'll have to be careful!)

GISgal

Cyburbian
Rural Renaissance: Renewing the Quest for the Good Life by John Ivanko adn Lisa Kivirist.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Finished - "The Nature of Economies" by Jacobs
Started - "The Oldest City - St. Augustine - Saga of Survival"
On the Shelf - "Animal Farm - 1984" by Orwell; "The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories" by Tolstoy; and others

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Yeah, I have read a lot of Nabokov. My favourites are King, Queen, Knave, Invitation to a Beheading and Mary (Mary being my absolute favourite). Lolita is great too. The copy of Despair I have I received for Christmas (it's a first edition so I'll have to be careful!)

I love Nabokov and even took a course on him in college. Lolita is one of my favorite books. I did like Glory a lot, too. It was much lighter, but a nice story with a whimsical ending. The Defense and Invitation to a Beheading were also great. I did not really get The Gift and never attempted Pale Fire- I bet I wouldn't get that either. The volume of his short stories is great, too.

I just read 1984- I never read it before and really liked it. I want to read something else by Ian McEwan next, maybe Enduring Love. Now that I'm done with school, I feel like I have more time for fun and challenging fiction reading.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Quick little book "FISH"

Anybody else out there been talked to about the FISH theory to boost morale and improve your workplace?

JNL

Cyburbian
My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. First I've read of hers. Not bad so far.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Quick little book "FISH"

Anybody else out there been talked to about the FISH theory to boost morale and improve your workplace?

Yes, but I do everything I can to espouse a contradictory theory of workplace productivity and morale. :-@

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Nevada Barr's "Hard Truth". The latest in a series of mysteries about a National Park ranger. Each book is set in a different park.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Confederates in the Attic, by Tony Horwitz. Just finished it actually. It's about how the "lost cause" still resonates in the south and I recommend it although it is a bit dated.

Budgie

Cyburbian
In a weak moment last night I bought "Hadji Murad" by Tolstoy and started reading it. Now I've got two books going at once. Do people typically have two books or more going at once? I ususlly only have one going at a time.

BKM

Cyburbian
Whose Yur Planner said:
Ringworld's Children by Larry Nivens. I know, I know, I'm a geek. :r:

At least you're not six volumes into a sword and sorcery series. :p Glen Cook's Black Company saga continue, with "She is the Darkness"

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
In a weak moment last night I bought "Hadji Murad" by Tolstoy and started reading it. Now I've got two books going at once. Do people typically have two books or more going at once? I ususlly only have one going at a time.
I usually have 2 or 3 going at once. One at home, one in the car (waiting in lines, etc) and one at work for lunch hours.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I usually have 2 or 3 going at once. One at home, one in the car (waiting in lines, etc) and one at work for lunch hours.

Wow, no can do. When this happens to me it's because I get sucked into the abyss which is Barnes & Noble. If I get to a city 2 or 3 hours before I need to, I spend $30 at the book store and plop downs somewhere to read. In fact, JR called me tonight while I was at a convenience store finishing up

"Hadji Murad" by Tolstoy and started
"The Sorrows of Young Werther" by Goethe. I can tell this book is going to be emotionally trying for me. I can already see that the main character (the book is written as a series of letters) is in many ways like me. He apparently falls in complete and consuming love with a woman who is engaged. HMMMM, sound familiar....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
On Deck - My Uncle's Dream by Dostoyevsky and Deception Point by Brown.
Hmmm Deception point is uhm... disappointing... Oh well, it's a fun read although and like all Dan Brown books, they're easy to read and movie-ish written.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Finished - "The Sorrow of Young Werther" by van Goethe
Started - "Animal Farm" and "1984" by Orwell
On-Deck - I don't know......

BKM

Cyburbian
You guys are all soooooo literary. I just picked up the new "Spenser for Hire" novel :p (Hawk is shot in a Russian mob hit :-c )

Also, the first compilation volume of the Wraethru series.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm about to complete "Lost Light" by Michael Connelly. A murder/mystery.