• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

geobandito

Cyburbian
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer - read during many flight delays on a Euro vacation last month.

The writing itself is not the greatest - he's trying a little too hard to do an In-Cold- Blood weaving of stories together and to prove to us that he did lots of research - but I knew very little about the history of the Mormons and it's, uh, very interesting.

Hceux

Cyburbian
"The 50 Best Ways to Simplify Your Life: Proven Techniques for Achieving Lasting Balance" by Patrick Fanning and Heather Garnos Mitchener.

Lots of good ideas, but the same thing happens: I don't want to do the exercise that these self-help books suggest. :cool:

Budgie said:
Finished - "The Nature of Economies" by Jacobs
Started - "The Oldest City - St. Augustine - Saga of Survival"
On the Shelf - "Animal Farm - 1984" by Orwell; "The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories" by Tolstoy; and others

Budgie, how is Jacobs' The Nature of Economies"? I got it for Christmas a few years ago and still haven't touched it.

And, to answer your question about if I read more than one book at a time. I say YES! I got to do it so that I cannot not get bored with the book. Yet, I'm trying to overcome my "university way of reading" - skimming for the jist - so that I can take the time to enjoy the books. I haven't conquer it yet probably because I go back to this skimming style every fall despite having the summers off. Am I alone with this syndrome?

Last edited by a moderator:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Hceux said:
Budgie, how is Jacobs' The Nature of Economies"? I got it for Christmas a few years ago and still haven't touched it.

It is a non-fiction book written as an ongoing conversation among acquaintances. The organic economic theory is sound and thought provoking, but the format is a bit droning towards the end. But given the topic (even though it is one I am very interested in), the book does keep your interest long enough to have some of it soak in. It's any easy read, so pick it up and finish it.

Found a copy of Nabakov's "King, Queen, Knave" on the library give away (discard) shelf. After chastizing the Library Director a bit (her and I are always picking on eachother in jest), I placed the book on my to read shelf. Nice find.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Stephanie Plum

I just got Janet Evanovich's "Eleven on Top" from Amazon today. I'm sure it'll be another hysterically-funny read.

zman

Cyburbian
Reading Blue Latitudes, which is a modern day trek on the course Captain Cook embarked on during the 1700's

I'm also trying to get through Kuntsler's Geography of Nowhere, but the read mentioned above is keeping me occupied.

BKM

Cyburbian
I'd forgotten how good a writer Ursula LeGuin is. I'm reading an old book of hers I'd never read. The Left Hand of Darkness

Fascinating. I like "politica/sociological" science fiction.

Also: Classicism in Copenhaven. I really like Nordic Neoclassicism.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I just got Janet Evanovich's "Eleven on Top" from Amazon today. I'm sure it'll be another hysterically-funny read.

Very funny book. Although Lula wasn't in it enough. Lula is the ex-hooker who wants to be a bounty hunter. LOL funny.

BKM

Cyburbian
Soldiers Live, the last novel in Glen Cook's "Black Company" series. It's a little slow going, and he is killing off his characters one by one.

Anyone with a military background at all interested in fantasy/science fiction might find this series interesting, by the way. He has an interesting way about describing the minutia of a military campaign. It's the only fantasy series I've read that has a discussion of military camp sanitation sprinkled :)

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
In Honor of The Man...

My daughter generously presented me with a Barnes & Noble Gift Card for Father's Day this year and this week I acquired the 3rd volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative.

Being a Civil War buff, I'd always wanted to read his stuff and his recent departure reminded me of the need to do so.

It's a massive tome - 1,000 pages - so I'll be immersed in his rich prose well past Labor Day, I think...

BKM

Cyburbian
Having finished Soldiers Live, I am now just starting Bangkok Tattoo, by John Burdett. I found fascinating Bangkok 8, his first novel in the series about a Buddhist police lieutenant in Thailand and the cultural issues. In Bangkok Tattoo, one of the prostitutes in the brothel owned by his mother and the district Police Commander murders a customer, and they try to blame the killing on Al Qaeda.

Budgie

Cyburbian
7-11-05

Finished - Animal Farm & 1984 by Orwell
Started - A Confession and Other Religious Writings by Tolstoy
On Deck - The Republic and Other Works by Plato; King, Queen, Knave by Nabakov; Bushwhacked by Ivins.

BKM

Cyburbian
I've started (tend to read a few books, inefficiently, at one time):

Michael Moorcock: The Skrayling Tree-fascinating mumbo jumbo fantasy/theology/philosophy. Too much expository text to flow very well as a novel, but still, I love Moorcock. He lives in TEXAS now :p .

Almost finished: Plazas de Cataluna: Fantastic photoessay on urban squares in Catalonia. Awesome!

Also: Classicism in Copenhagen-love Nordic Classicism!

Next Up: Cortili in Lombardia-a great photoessay on courtyards and plazas in Lombardy, Italy.

Reading: Salt Fish Girl by Larissa Lai - amazing work. I thought fiction was dead and buried, with every character and scenario already having been written in every combination. I was wrong.

Just read: Dostoevsky's The Idiot and Jane Jacobs' Dark Age Ahead.

Next up: Mumford's inimitable The City in History should be arriving by mail shortly, alongside In Seach of Elegance: Towards an Architecture of Satisfaction. (I was interested in the latter book, but not enough given its $40-ish price. Fortunately Amazon decided to put it on sale at 75% off and I picked it up for $8.xx CDN.)

nerudite

Cyburbian
On Vacation...

Re-read The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles (one of my favourite books). When I was in the library I saw a romance by James Howard Kunstler and so I read it out of sheer curiosity more than anything (it was called Maggie Darling). It was pretty bad, but I guess that's standard for romance novels.

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
When I was in the library I saw a romance by James Howard Kunstler and so I read it out of sheer curiosity more than anything (it was called Maggie Darling). It was pretty bad, but I guess that's standard for romance novels.

And Kunstler's writing in general. ;) (too easy)

I am currently reading the following

Orson Scott Caird - Ender's Game series, on book 4 of 6. The series is starting to drag and I am unsure if I am going to read teh last 2 books.

Just finished On the Road with the Ramones by Monte Melnick. Neat book of quotes from band memebrs and roadies. Good pictures

The following are in the queue

Nick Hornby Book
The Big book of Jewish Conspiracies. Too bad it is not in comic form like other "big" books.

ericlee

As a baseball fan, I just finished The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty by Buster Olney. It's a good book especially if you don't like the New York Yankees.

chukky

Cyburbian
White Teeth by Zadie Smith. Hilarious opening chapter. goes down hill from there. Its awfully LONG.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Today the new Harry Potter book is out. I can tell you what I'm starting to read today. They are a fun read.

Finished the Harry Potter book this afternoon. You don't know what I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I just finished Malcolm Gladwell's, "The Tipping Point." Very interesting and I'd recommend it. My friend gave me Jared Diamond's "Collapse" and I'm getting stared on that now... it's a beast though.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Gettysburg by Stephen W. Sears. It is the best one volume account of the epic battle I've read, especially his account of the first day (which is sadly overlooked in most histories, IMO). The maps are just okay. Regrettably, Sears and his editor insist on scratching their collective fingernails on the proverbial blackboard by assaulting the reader with "try and" on seemingly every other page.:-c

nerudite

Cyburbian
Just started Sarah Dunant's Birth of Venus on the plane back from vacation. Seems good so far, but I'm only on page 45 or so.

greginboise

Cyburbian
The Last Valley, by Martin Windrow. I started it, but put it down until my trip to NY next month. It's about the run-up to, and the seige of, Dien Bien Phu in 1954.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Okay, I am reading the new Harry Potter book - slowly. Just having a hard time remembering everything from the previous book.

BKM

Cyburbian
abrowne said:
Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake

Let us know about that one. It got mixed reviews.

Have you read Handmaiden's Tale? My mother actually just finished it.:p

In addition to the Robert B. Parker Spenser novel I am pickiong away slowly at, I picked up a book called "Between Holy Water and Salt Water: A History of Southern Italy." I'm kinda an Italophile. Campagnolo rocks! :)

psylo

Cyburbian
I've just finished reading "Where Wizards Stay Up Late". It's a short history about the creation of the internet and the people who developed it. It's a quick and interesting read if anyone is curious into that history.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Finished - A Confession and Other Religious Writings by Tolstoy
Started - King, Queen, Knave by Nabakov
On Deck - The Republic and Other Works by Plato; Bushwhacked by Ivins; others.

BKM said:
Let us know about that one. It got mixed reviews.

Have you read Handmaiden's Tale? My mother actually just finished it.:p

In addition to the Robert B. Parker Spenser novel I am pickiong away slowly at, I picked up a book called "Between Holy Water and Salt Water: A History of Southern Italy." I'm kinda an Italophile. Campagnolo rocks! :)

I still have about an eighth of the book to go, but I can tell you that my review is not mixed. This book is an excellent read. Some wonderfully thought-provoking story elements woven together. I'm looking forward to the ending as I feel it might be building to something quite unexpected.

A book similar to it in scope (concerns over genetic engineering, corporate compounds, dystopian futures that do not seem so far off from our present) is Larissa Lai's Salt Fish Girl. It tells the tale of a shape-shifting female character who travels in mind thru time from the beginning to ancient china to a futuristic pacific northwest. It almost sounds hokey writing this but it is an amazing novel and uses interesting methods of telling a story.

I've not read Handmaiden's Tale, but I have seen the movie. I am told that this is one of the rare occurences where the movie is preferable.

donk

Cyburbian
Finished another book in Orson Scott Caird's Ender series and now onto Nick Hornby's "fever Pitch. Thought is was his new book, but it turns out it was written a few years ago. it is about his love of soccer, and how it shapes his memories of childhood. Not being a soccer fan, fortunately it is well written and the short stories that make up the book are entertaining.

Still have 4 more books in the ender series to buy and read, plus 3 other books on my night stand.:-$

nerudite

Cyburbian
Sarah Dunant's Birth of Venus was reallllly good. So much so, that I'm looking forward to reading her other books. I'm starting Snowstorms in a Hot Climate as my next Dunant book, and if that turns out to be as good... I'll probably read her other six books in due time.

BKM

Cyburbian
abrowne said:
I still have about an eighth of the book to go, but I can tell you that my review is not mixed. This book is an excellent read. Some wonderfully thought-provoking story elements woven together. I'm looking forward to the ending as I feel it might be building to something quite unexpected.

A book similar to it in scope (concerns over genetic engineering, corporate compounds, dystopian futures that do not seem so far off from our present) is Larissa Lai's Salt Fish Girl. It tells the tale of a shape-shifting female character who travels in mind thru time from the beginning to ancient china to a futuristic pacific northwest. It almost sounds hokey writing this but it is an amazing novel and uses interesting methods of telling a story.

I've not read Handmaiden's Tale, but I have seen the movie. I am told that this is one of the rare occurences where the movie is preferable.

Well, I found the Tale terrifying. The Larissa Lai novel sounds intriguing.

I am six months behind in reading-and I am very bad at starting multuiple books at the same time. discipline is needed!

I've found a wealth of time for reading lately - ever since I started my job at city hall and have been obligated to take 1.5 hours of lunch and break time out of an 8 hour work day. Of course, I'm still behind. I hope I always will be. This means there continues to be items worthy of reading.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Read Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation" while on vacation the other week. I would highly recommend it for sorta-liberal history buffs who can appreciate a quirky if not somewhat dark sense of humor.

Plan-it

Cyburbian
Augusten Burrows "Magical Thinking" a collection of short stories and a biography on John Adams.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
abrowne said:

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite books. I haven't seen the movie but if it is all true to the book it should be wonderful. I would definitely suggest reading the book!

right now i should be reading "Planning for Habitat Conservation" but instead i shall be taking a planning book hiatus while i'm on vacation. i think some trashy fiction will much more suit the mood.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Just finished "Bravely into Battle" by Strome Galloway. Autobiographical account of his experiences in WWII.

Need to find something to read now...maybe I'll bug Donk to borrow his "Fever Pitch", that sounds good.

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Need to find something to read now...maybe I'll bug Donk to borrow his "Fever Pitch", that sounds good.

I'll bring it Friday.

Now I am onto Carter beats the Devil. A book about a magician and the death of a US president.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Finished - King, Queen, Knave by Nabakov
Started - Scene of the Clerical Life by George Eliot
On Deck - The Republic and Other Works by Plato; Bushwhacked by Ivins; others.

donk

Cyburbian
Done Carter Beats teh Devil, actually a pretty good read. it is based around the assassination of Harding and teh magic craze of teh 1920's, with a bit of a mystery and a love story thrown in for good measure. Mostly bought it for the cover.

Now onto the Nick Hornby book I thought I was buyin, got it for 50% off - Long Way Down. Not sure if I am rally in the mood to read a "light" book about suicide right now. May try to read teh conspiracy book I have on the go also.

Down to 3 books on the night stand to read. If the heat keeps up could be all caught up by the weekend.

Then there is of course reading the serialized version of Door into Summer I just bought.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Jailbird by Vonnegut; picked it up at the local library book sale this weekend for a buck - it's a hard cover first edition with the orginial dust jacket - now if I could just get Vonnegut to sign it, it would be really cool.

I was reading Clockers by Richard Price, but was having trouble getting through it for some reason so had to put it to the side for now.

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Jailbird by Vonnegut; picked it up at the local library book sale this weekend for a buck - it's a hard cover first edition with the orginial dust jacket - now if I could just get Vonnegut to sign it, it would be really cool.

This is my favourite Vonnegut book, just remember that the "weather sympathizes". If you don't want it because it is not signed, I'll take it off your hands.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
donk said:
This is my favourite Vonnegut book, just remember that the "weather sympathizes". If you don't want it because it is not signed, I'll take it off your hands.
Well, after I'm done reading it, and if I decide to get rid of it, I'll let you know. I don't mind that it's not signed, I just think it would be neat to have a signed first edition (I'm not 100% sure it is) by one of my favorite authors.

The boards on the binding have a small bit of water damage, but the jacket looks to be in really good condition (with my untrained eye).

donk

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Well, after I'm done reading it, and if I decide to get rid of it, I'll let you know. I don't mind that it's not signed, I just think it would be neat to have a signed first edition (I'm not 100% sure it is) by one of my favorite authors.

The boards on the binding have a small bit of water damage, but the jacket looks to be in really good condition (with my untrained eye).

Should have included a ;).