• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Book club 📖 What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Various cookbooks and home reno books, depending on what I'm working on at the moment.

Went to the library last night and put holds on a few things - biography of General Auchinleck, biography of General Percival, Martin Amis's "Yellow Dog".

Still waiting for Donk to lend me "Fever Pitch" ;)

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Various cookbooks and home reno books, depending on what I'm working on at the moment.

Went to the library last night and put holds on a few things - biography of General Auchinleck, biography of General Percival, Martin Amis's "Yellow Dog".

Still waiting for Donk to lend me "Fever Pitch" ;)

Remind me to bring it on staurday, that and the tupperware container I still have. :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Because she gets free shipping, ZG ordered me a couple of NY Times cookbooks last night from Amazon. Hopefully, I'll get them this weekend.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Just read Mapping the Edge by Dunant. Not as good as Birth of Venus. For the next few weeks we'll be concentrating on cabinet/woodworking books.

Bailey

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

A fun fiction book about abstract cities in 12th century as told with imaginary conversations between Marco Polo and a Khan.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Dudewheresmyplan? said:
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

A fun fiction book about abstract cities in 12th century as told with imaginary conversations between Marco Polo and a Khan.

Very very interesting premise and delivery !!!! Sounds worth a gander.

Bailey

Budgie said:
Very very interesting premise and delivery !!!! Sounds worth a gander.

The book is quite interesting and all in a very short package (around 150-160 pages).

If you read it, let me know how you like it.

Andrew

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I just finished "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd, who also wrote "The Secret Life of Bees", which I read is being made into a movie. Liked "Bees' the best, by far. Good Southern stuff. Great book.

The One

Cyburbian
Hmmm....

My wife's reading a book called Wicked by Gregory Maguire, now a Broadway musical about the history of the Wicked Witch of the West:-c from the Wizard of Oz....kinda interesting....I might take a look when she's done.....Anyone from Kansas reading this book yet?? Anyone seen the musical??

Bailey

Myself and my girlfriend at the time went to see Wicked on Broadway last year. It was VERY good and I recommend it to any theatre enthusiasts. The stage was amazingly beautiful and the actors talented. I remember the girl who played Glenda accidently broke her wand during the performance and instead of letting it stop her, she just threw it over her shoulder and giggled "Who needs a stupid wand anyway!"

Very funny.

From what I hear, the ending of the book and the broadway performance differ, but I wouldn't know any specifics as I haven't read the book.

Andrew

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
"A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey -- interesting memoir about struggling and eventual recovery from drug and alcohol addiction.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Max Weber's Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism and Hannah Arendt's Human Condition.... Friggin Sociology... :( (I have to read the first one completely) :-@

Thank god my other courses aren't too read-heavy :)

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
It's Pretty Good When You Get Into It..

SkeLeton said:
Max Weber's Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism and Hannah Arendt's Human Condition.... Friggin Sociology... :( (I have to read the first one completely) :-@

Thank god my other courses aren't too read-heavy :)
Skel:

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Hannah Arendt's work when you get to it. My undergrad work was in Political Science and I read quite a bit of her stuff - voluntarily - as I found her to be a very lucid writer and thinker.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
On deck as soon as Amazon gets it to me:

On Paradise Drive by David Brooks. Though he has a reputation as a conservative writer (though a little more moderate) for the New York Times, many of my more liberal friends have told me that they loved the book. From what I understand, Brooks spends most of the book making fun of the middle-upper class way of life with our never-ending consumerism and giant houses, etc. My friends recommended the book knowing my interest in sociology and observing behaviors of people. I may write up a review on this one when I finish since it sounds like it hits on the causes for some problems affecting planning and urban issues.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Kangaroo by Yuz Aleshkovsky.

It's form is like Portnoy's Compliant (one long, slightly disjointed monologue) and satirzes the history and compostion and culture of Soviet Russia from the point of view of a long time russian criminal being sent through the State investigation/imprisonment system.

Last edited:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Finished - Scene of the Clerical Life by George Eliot
Started - The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories by Tolstoy
On Deck - First Love and Other Stories by Turgenev; The Republic and Other Works by Plato; Bushwhacked by Ivins; others.

JNL

Cyburbian
I am reading and enjoying Jessica by Bryce Courtenay. Like his other books that I've read it is quite dark & depressing in its portrayal of human nature.. but he's such a good storyteller I have to keep reading in the hope that Jessica's life must eventually improve!! Set in Australia in the early 1900s if anyone is interested.

ZG - your bees reference reminded me of A Recipe for Bees which is a book I really enjoyed - have you read that one? By Gail Anderson-Dargatz. Also loved A Rhinestone Button by her.

donk

Cyburbian
Just about finished reading "The Crazy Years" by Spider Robinson. It is a collection of his columns from the Globe and Mail from the past 10 years. The title is from Robert A Heinlein's description of the time at the turn of teh 21st Century.

Not sure what i snext, I have a conspiracy book to read and then maybe pick up another book in the ender series by orson scott caird.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke

It's a grown-ups Harry Potter about the last 2 English magicians in England in the early 1800's. Very complex; lots of long footnotes that would make sense if there really was magic in England, referring to past "events" and "books" like they really happened. I've read 444 pages this weekend out of this 782 page book. It's a slow start, but then really, really good.

donk

Cyburbian
Picked up enders shadow by orson scott caird yesterday. Much better/more my style than books 2 and 3 in the series, but then again it is a companion volume to the first book. About half way through, should be done by tuesday. I sometimes wish I did not like owning books as much as I do. The I'll be on to the next in the series

Still working on the conspiracy book as time permits

jenniplans

Cyburbian
Finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I love these books, it takes me no time to read them.

This doesn't give the ending away, but WTF??? Rowling has to go beyond the 7 books intended for this series.

Margin Walker

Cyburbian
I agree Rowling should do more than the planned 7 Potter books. I think there are a lot of great stories still in that world. I read an article in Time (I think) a while back where she already has a book in mind for after she finishes the 7th Potter one - in a different genre entirely although I don't remember what. She said that she was tired of writing fantasy novels. :-\\

I am reading a novel called "War Trash" by Ha Jin and it is the story of a Chinese soldier captured by Americans during the Korean war and his struggle to survive being a POW a dealing with the two Chinese factions in the prison camp - the Communists and the Nationalists. It is written in the style of a memoir and is a very good read so far.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Started: "Lucky You" by Carl Hiaasen (barrowed from ZG). On deck: "Florida Roadkill" by Tim Dorsey (recommended by ZG). Next: "Eisenhower" by David Eisenhower (yes, lent to me by ZG....geez, will y'all leave me alone?).

BKM

Cyburbian
Just finished an amazing book: Bangkock Tattoo, about a Thai Police Officer/part time brothel operator. It has everything: Bhuddism, Police Corruption, horrif crimes, sleazy nightlife, meditations on the American mind version the Bhuddist philosophy. Almost impossible to describe! What an amazing book!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dorothy Cannell's "How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams". But it's a very pedestrian mystery, so I'll probably toss it, and visit the library tomorrow for something more interesting. I hate waiting a year or more in between for my favorite authors to publish something new.

transformer

Just finished The Partner by John Grisham. I thought it was one of his better books. Looking for a good science fiction book to read.

donk

Cyburbian
transformer said:
Just finished The Partner by John Grisham. I thought it was one of his better books. Looking for a good science fiction book to read.

Here is a list of Sci Fi books I've read and enjoyed and reccomend to people.

Door into Summer - Robert Heinlein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Caird
Stone God Awakens Phillip Jose Farmer
Callahans Crosstime Saloon - Spider Robinson
The Dreaming Jewels - Theodore Sturgeon

BKM

Cyburbian
donk said:
Here is a list of Sci Fi books I've read and enjoyed and reccomend to people.

Door into Summer - Robert Heinlein
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Caird
Stone God Awakens Phillip Jose Farmer
Callahans Crosstime Saloon - Spider Robinson
The Dreaming Jewels - Theodore Sturgeon

I really, really liked Ursula LeGuin's classic from 1969, The Left Hand of Darkness. A very intense, meditative book.

City planners should definitely check out the steam punk classic Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Awesome Dickensian city with some really strange fantasy elements in a well-realized "world" He loses control of the novel in places (five pages describing, it seems, every single step or dodge in a chase scene gets...annoying :)) but worth wading through the flawed structure. I like his following novel, The Scar, even more. The last novel, Iron Council, is intriguing but marred by Marxist cant (As a good agnostic, I can't handle the religious silliness of communism. Can't believe in the purity of "the working class" very much) Still a good, young writer with a great future.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Read "Eleven on Top" by Evanovich in a day about a week ago. Quick read. I've since started on "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Kesey, and Kerouac's "On the Road" is on hold for me at the library.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Now that the days are getting shorter, the weather will be getting cooler (not yet.....three straight 90-degree daays in NW Ohio), and this Bear will curl-up with a goode book.

Time to get back to WAR AND PEACE.

I also want to buy the Bill Maher collection, NEW RULES.

Bear

BKM

Cyburbian
Halfway through the new China Mieville short story collection. some really creepy stuff :)

Also starting the Wraethlu series. In a sci fi mood, I guess.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
I'm reading The Stand finally, and I don't think I'm going to finish it. King bores me with all his details and I don't like any of his characters. And this is supposed to be his masterpiece?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
hilldweller said:
I'm reading The Stand finally, and I don't think I'm going to finish it. King bores me with all his details and I don't like any of his characters. And this is supposed to be his masterpiece?
I agree. It is the only King book I have tried to read, and I got about half way through it and it just stalled....hard. It seemed like there were multiple chapters in a row that discuss the establishment of new goverance in Boulder....snooze-fest...

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Collapse by Jared Diamond. just starting it but sounds interesting. i haven't yet read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Diamond but that's on the list too.

donk

Cyburbian
Halfway through the last book in the "ender series"

Started reading "Born to Kvetch" a book about the history of yiddish language and culture.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Martin Amis - Yellow Dog I like it, but it's a bit bizarre.
Is that the guy that did London Fields? That was an AWESOME book. I'd actually read it again. What did you think of the whole Yellow Dog book? Good enough to recommend?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:
Is that the guy that did London Fields? That was an AWESOME book. I'd actually read it again. What did you think of the whole Yellow Dog book? Good enough to recommend?

Yes, I think it's the same guy. I would definitely recommend Yellow Dog, at least for those with an offbeat sense of humour.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Bought and started to read Neuromancer by Gibson, the first cyber punk sci-fi novel. Still a good read 21 years after it was published.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Up for Grabs by Rothchild. Figured I needed to learn a little about Florida's history and this book has been perfect for that.

Future Planner

Cyburbian
Crabgrass Frontier Ken Jackson
Design First Walters and Brown
Readings in Planning Theory Campbell and Fainstein
Geography of Urban Transportation Hanson and Giulano
The Regional City Calthorpe and Fulton

All great books so far.
Too much to digest at one time but that's grad school.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Now that I'm back to school, I've not been reading a lot of non-academic books. So here are a few academic books that I've been reading:

"A Journey into the Deaf-World" by Harlan Lane, Robert Hoffmeister, and Ben Bahan.

"Educating Deaf Students" by Marschark, Lang, and Albertini,

"Language across the curriculum" by B. Luetke-Stahlman

"Language Issues in Deaf Education" by B. Luetke-Stahlman

"Language Development: A reader for Teachers" by Power and Hubbard.

However, earlier in the summer, I read a few non-academic books:

- "Dibs: In search of Self"
- "Brian Piccolo: A Short Season" by Jeannie Morris

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hceux said:
- "Brian Piccolo: A Short Season" by Jeannie Morris

I went to the regional speech finals in high school using a piece about Brian Piccolo. Pretty funny from someone who pays no attention whatsoever to sports...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Working on "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It got some really good reviews. It has 3 parallel stories about researching, and perhaps encountering, Vlad the Impaler (Dracula): a teenager in the '70's, her father in the '50's, and his mentor in the '30's.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
book club

currently reading with my street's Book Club "Reading Lolita in Tehran" - who knew a subdivision with 2 acre plus lots could be so new urbanism to have a social circle? lol

also reading "the high cost of free parking" when i can't sleep - lol