• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What are you doing for the Holidays?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Being that it is the Friday before Christmas, I would like to pose the question, what are you doing for the Holidays? Personally, I am going to go skiing at Boyne Highlands tomorrow, then head up to Escanaba for Christmas and to go skiing. As for new years, those plans are still up in the Air… Does any one have any good ideas for New Years?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm only taking a couple days off, so we'll mostly stay close to home, except a day trip to visit family north of Tampa, and possibly a day at Universal Studios. Hopefully we'll have a chance to see The Return of the King.

SGB

Cyburbian
On the road again.....

Tuesday afternoon I pack the family into the minvan and drive to southern New Jersey to spend Xmas with my inlaws.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Tonight I light my first menorah and make latkas (sp?) we shall see how it turns out.

donk

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Tonight I light my first menorah and make latkas (sp?) we shall see how it turns out.
If you burn anything, just heap more sour cream and apple sauce on them. Must use homemade apple sauce for things to taste right.

My plans are as follows:

Drinkin' and thinkin'.

Work until wednesday afternoon, go to parents for a few days, work monday until new years eve, off for a few more days.

Hang out with friends and drink.

Hopefully when I get back, I'll have figured some things out.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Re: On the road again.....

SGB said:
drive to southern New Jersey to spend Xmas.
?Where in Southern Jersey?
I am driving to Central Jersey from Indiana over the weekend.

ludes98

Cyburbian
All our family is in town. Christmas Eve with in-laws. Christmas Day with mine. Whooo hooo. Makes for too much Christmas.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
the bf is making home made apple sauce right now. We will make the tatter things later tonight.

Christmas Day we will spend with his brothers and their brood out in Reston. NYE is a gala out in Fairfax. Other than that much sleep and house cleaning with all the house mates gone for a week.

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Re: On the road again.....

JNA said:
?Where in Southern Jersey?
I am driving to Central Jersey from Indiana over the weekend.
We will be about 30 miles north of Atlantic City.

Budgie

Cyburbian
The entire family (estranged spouse included) are going to my parents place northeast of McKinney, Texas. I will spend the entire time trying to be on my best behaviour.

I will be all by myself (no kids or spouse) for New Years. I've been invited to 4 different get togethers within 6 miles of eachother. Or maybe I'll just do a pub glide. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I will be all by myself (no kids or spouse) for New Years. I've been invited to 4 different get togethers within 6 miles of eachother. Or maybe I'll just do a pub glide. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
Pub glide all the way:b:

Christmas will be another adventure so really I'm just looking forward to the day after when I can do nothing. Get day to take off from work this year.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella and I will enjoy the company of family and friends, as well as good eats and drinks! New Year's Eve plans are still up in the air.

I'm looking forward to those few days off!!!

:D

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I used to work for the Vreeland's and Smythe's that lived in Tuckytown.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Staying home with the family.

Sleeping. Maybe catch a ball game. Sitting around in my undies... that sort of thing.

SGB

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I used to work for the Vreeland's and Smythe's that lived in Tuckytown.
[ot]Don't know 'em. My SIL & her husband have lived down there for about 6 years.[/ot]

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Re: Re: Re: Re: On the road again.....

Gedunker said:
Tuckerton?
family has a house on Long Beach Island.
Mom lives in Westfield.

H

Cyburbian
The office will be closed most of next week, so… leaving tomorrow for ATL, then going to the Bahamas with family (12 of us) Christmas day and will return to Miami/work a week from Monday.

I am sure I will check in on Cyburbia when I get bored in ATL, but if I don’t…

Seasons Greetings to all of you. :) :b:

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
The in-laws arrive on Sunday. I have to work right up til Christmas Eve, so I'll miss a few of the days that they're staying (at least during the day). Also, shuttling the kids back and forth to the ex's place all the while. Should be very busy, but I'm still looking forward to it.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
The in-laws arrive on Sunday. I have to work right up til Christmas Eve, so I'll miss a few of the days that they're staying (at least during the day). Also, shuttling the kids back and forth to the ex's place all the while. Should be very busy, but I'm still looking forward to it.
Yeah... this is the first time my mom AND dad have come to visit me since I've moved out of the house. Somewhere there is a pig flying and hades had a temperature drop. :)

My last day of work until Jan 2 was yesterday. Woohoo... I'm on vacation!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
LOTR with an old friend Sunday or Monday night, a hike and Dotty Dumpling's Dowry (best burger in Madison) with some Hoofer friends Tuesday night, may take Wednesday off, then Christmas with the whole family at my parents'. No plans for New Years Eve yet.

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Somewhere there is a pig flying and hades had a temperature drop. :)

correct on hell freezing over, it was -20 last night.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
xmas morning with the fam, afternoon catching a movie, then to the gf's fam house for more jolly gift giving...all local

Jeff

Cyburbian
Just got all my shopping done in around 2 hours. Just don't see what the big deal is ... in the mall by 9 am out before noon. No crowds, no lines, etc.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Spending time with family locally.....dealing with the emotions of my first post-divorce Christmas.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Had friends over for an early Christmas dinner last night. Hosting my family Christmas Eve, then heading up north to the out-laws on Christmas Day - coming back on the weekend. Working between Christmas and New Year's - got a big project dumped on me that needs some results soon. No plans for NYE yet.

JNL

Cyburbian
ZG and Cardinal - I saw Return of the King on Saturday and it is really really really cool. I took some Jaffas (do you have those?) in with me and didn't get round to eating any because I was so absorbed by the movie for the whole 3+ hours!!

Yay New Zealand scenery!! :) :) :)

I will be spending Christmas Eve and Christmas day at the parental units' . Today is work Christmas party, tomorrow drinks with friends.

Don't have to be back at work till Jan 12th but no definite plans yet..... just a matter of choosing which beautiful beach to visit.... should I go visit the nice young man I met 2 weeks ago?? Not sure if there will be flights available.

Rem

Cyburbian
My turn to work this year.

Except for the public holidays (Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day), which we spend in Sydney with my family and the in-laws. We took the kids to the grandparents yesterday so we have until Wednesday night as DINKs.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
My two sons are flying in today for the holidays. They'll be snowboarding most of the time. The evenings are to ourselves.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Mad last-minute shopping, fondue-making, time with parents and in-laws, general crazyness, and then back to work. Sigh.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Leaving the office today around 2:00pm for a ten hour drive south to spend Christmas with the fam. My sister is about to drop her first baby any day now so we are doing our family earlier than usual and having it tomorrow morning - wouldn't want her going into labor during dinner. My dad's big family then comes over for dinner that evening and my moms even larger family is at the house on Christmas night. I will most likely be on family overload by that point so friday I'll most likely go meet some old friends and unwind over a couple of beers.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Heading to my sister's tomorrow for lots of food and drink. Christmas evenig with the inlaws, and home to work on Friday.

tsc

Cyburbian
heading to the parents in Ithaca, NY tomorrow afterwork. Going to smell and bells service downtown as soon as we get there... then finally relaxing on xmas.

boiker

Cyburbian
driving.. a lot

lets see...

tonight finish xmas shopping
wrap

wednesday
wake up, goto to my parents 2 hrs away.
have xmas eve
drive back

thursday
wake up, have xmas day
drive to mine / wife's parents 2 hrs away.
have xmas day
drive to my g-parents another 30 mins
drive back

Friday
wake up, goto work.

bah... hum-bug

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Doesn't anyone come to FL for the holidays anymore? (Hey, just hoping to meet some of ya'll if you hit the theme parks...)

Oh, I will cook big and I did break down and buy a 2 foot tall tree, which my kids graciously put a few pathetic ornaments on. This is the first tree we have had since we moved here. I am generally not into the whole Christmas thing and didn't particularly miss it while too sick to do anything about it. I will probably recieve the obligatory Christmas phone call from mom. With luck, this year it will not result in an argument. And I exchanged Bah, Humbug gifts with a very good friend. They were practical, didn't get wrapped, and there were no expectations, so it was very low key but a lot more meaningful to me than the useless "what on earth will I do with this thing?" presents we used to get from some of my husband's relatives.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
it was very low key but a lot more meaningful to me than the useless "what on earth will I do with this thing?" presents we used to get from some of my husband's relatives.
Boy did that strike a chord! Yes, I am petty, but why does my brother make 5 times what I do, and yet his wife gets all our Christmas gifts from Big Lots??

I don't know, ZG. I don't think money really had anything to do with it in our case. What got me was that these people had theoretically known my husband a lot longer than I had but didn't seem to know the first thing about him.

He is a very low key individual who has always dressed conservatively, in mostly grey and black. I have taught him to dress better than he used to and with a bit more dash, but he remains very conservative, overall. Additionally, he grew up in places like Germany and doesn't get cold easily. Nonetheless, one relative of his sent him a brightly colored plaid flannel shirt every year for a number of years. These shirts never came out of the plastic. Even if they hadn't been offensively garish to his eyes, it rarely gets cold enough for him to wear a long-sleeved flannel shirt.

I tend to feel that if you really do not care that much about a person and are doing it out of a sense of obligation and have no desire whatsoever to put any time or effort or thought into trying to get a gift that might mean something to them, then send money or just a card. lol. I don't have to put up with too much of that silliness anymore: being bedridden for 4 months conveniently cleared the boards of most of my so-called "friends", thus alleviating me of a great deal of empty, obligatory nonsense. Friendships that have developed since then are much deeper and more meaningful. I have been very much blessed in the last year or so.

I think what you are railing at is not the "money" per se but the blatant expression of how little they value you. It sounds like a tasteless display of thinking they are doing something wonderful for a "poor relation" out of the goodness of their hearts. I used to get to play the "poor relation" and it is a very insulting thing to be on the recieving end of. It is the antithesis of "spiritual", treating you as if your heart and mind are irrelevant and you are solely defined by your material wealth and, clearly, you are inadequate. I got over a lot of the lack of fiscal parity when I went and took care of my premature infant niece for a month. I later took care of my sister following her mastectomy. She has made it very clear that my gifts are treasures that money could never buy and the whole "money" thing has largely evaporated. I am not close to the rest of my family and I have given up on ever making much of a connection with them.

God, don't reply directly to me when I am mildly feverish. It only encourages my pontificating. :)