• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What are you doing on July 30th???

jmf

Cyburbian
A huge concert headlined by the Rolling Stones has just been announced for Toronto. Sounds like a great time for $16US!

Tranplanner - I expect a full report!!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
There are supposedly a couple of other huge bands coming as a part of this concert...they're talking U2, Rush (only in Canada would they be considered huge, eh?).

I doubt I'll be going - it's not that I don't like the Rolling Stones, it's just that I think they should have stopped touring a decade or two ago.

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's hosted by Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi... like *that* act isn't old and boring... jeez. Let the skit die already!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think maybe I'll be out of town that day. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of town.

Here's the lineup:

Rolling Stones, AC/DC, the Flaming Lips, Sam Roberts, the Guess Who, Justin Timberlake and Sass Jordan.

And a
link

Tranplanner said:
I think maybe I'll be out of town that day. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of town.

Here's the lineup:

Rolling Stones, AC/DC, the Flaming Lips, Sam Roberts, the Guess Who, Justin Timberlake and Sass Jordan.

And a
link
Justin Timberlake???????

Can we say one of these things don't belong????

jmf

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
I'm puzzled why the Flaming Lips are in the line-up. What a motley crew.
I think, Tranplanner you can correct me if I am wrong, that the Stones have had a long history in TO. They use it as a base and practice venue for their North American tours. The last couple of times they have had a concert at a fairly small venue in the city with the date and location only anounced a couple days before the concert.

I know they are old but I still would like to see them in concert (this coming from someone who would LOVE to see Tina Turner, she's awesome), if U2 is showing up too it will be a struggle to stay away.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Doesn't look like U2 is coming right now...but they say more bands will probably be added.

Yeah, the Stones love T.O. - last time through they played a small gig out at the Palais Royale. They usually practice for a week or so before heading out on tour.

donk

Cyburbian
What alanah miles was not available? You know it is going to be a hot concert when sass jordan is on the bill. They could have found so many more can con artists to pad the bill.

As for the stones, they know how to put on a show. I saw them on the steel wheels tour and was amazed.

The big question is why is the money going to the hospital workers, for doing what they are paid to do, and not the non unionized hotel and restaurant workers that have been layed off due to the WHO's actions?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
What alanah miles was not available? You know it is going to be a hot concert when sass jordan is on the bill. They could have found so many more can con artists to pad the bill.
The better concert was the one held last weekend - Avril Lavinge, Diana Krall, Tragically Hip, Sarah McLaughlin, Our Lady Peace, Bare Naked Ladies, and a bunch more.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Rolling Stones ..... give it up already, jeez. But then again I am going to see the Dead 3x this week.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Yes, the Rolling Stones should give it up, but let's at least admit that they were a great band. But come on now, the Guess Who?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Yes, the Rolling Stones should give it up, but let's at least admit that they were a great band. But come on now, the Guess Who?
Oh, yes, the Stones were a great band. I would've loved to have seen them in '72 though.

I guess in this same vein of aging rockers - I'm actually going to see Neil Young next week. I saw him 6 years ago in concert and it was terrific, I hope he still has the same energy. Lucinda Williams is opening and she's pretty awesome, too.

donk

Cyburbian
Greenescapist posted:
I'm actually going to see Neil Young next week
Neil Young has to have been the worst concert I have ever seen.

I saw him at Canada's Wnderland playing acoustic and solo. it was rotten.

Hope your experience is better.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
donk said:
Greenescapist posted:

Neil Young has to have been the worst concert I have ever seen.

I saw him at Canada's Wnderland playing acoustic and solo. it was rotten.

Hope your experience is better.
I think he is someone you either love or hate. I've seen him before and enjoyed it, so I'm not worried.

donk

Cyburbian
I enjoy his music, it was just that the show was rotten. I think seeing him with crazy horse or other back up band and electric guitar could be a great show.

tsc

Cyburbian
was it David Letterman who said "there will be a nuclear war.. and all that will be left roaming the earth will be cockroaches and... Keith Richards!"