• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What are you getting your special someone for V.D.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
What are you getting your special someone for Valentine'd Day?

Since it is only 4 days away I thought I'd ask all the love birds here what they have planned for Valentine's Day?

This year is the first year I've had a serious Valentine in a about 3 years so I am actually looking forward to it this year.

I am going to take my Valentine out of town, somewhere we can get out and play in the snow (x-country ski, snowshoe or downhill) then have some dinner and head back to the hotel.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Since she already knows about it, and reading it here won't be any suprise:

I'm taking Planner Groupie to see Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse in Boston.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I thought you were talking about some other vd for a moment;)

She wants diamond earrings, but I don't know. The price will set me back a bit, but I'm just not sure about something anymore.....

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Since we've decided to strictly budget ourselves - dinner using our gift certificate, and little gifts. Yeah, I'm a big spender. ;)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
The price will set me back a bit, but I'm just not sure about something anymore.....

Whats that Rumpy? What are you not sure about anymore?

Having second thoughts about having her as your Valentine or are you thinking of a different type of ring. One for the hand and not the ears?

Queen B

Cyburbian
I got him a new stud earring and to my surprise the other day he said he would like the new Rod Stewart, were he sings old romantic classics. I will pick up a card. But that's about it, no big romantic plans, he will be out of town with his girls at a band concert. I won't even see him until 8 or 9 that night.

biscuit

Cyburbian
When I first glanced at the thread title I thought it said "Are you giving someone special V.D.?" And all I could think was, "Well, how did he know my plans?!" ;-)

The fiancee and I are having the engagement photos done on Valentine's morning and then we spend the rest of the day driving all over God's creation tying up loose ends, finishing the gift registry and other "fun" wedding stuff.... ugh. I may suprise her with flowers at work on friday but that will be about it. Most likely Valentine's will consist of sitting in front of the fireplace and sharing a bottle (or four) of wine.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Valentine's Day has me perplexed. We just bought a house and that first mortgage is due the first of March, so money is tight. On the other hand, the wife sure is a sweetie and I would like to do something nice for her. Trying to come up with something but not sure what. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
NHPlanner said:
Since she already knows about it, and reading it here won't be any suprise:

I'm taking Planner Groupie to see Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse in Boston.

I saw that show at the Chas Playhouse four years ago. My first BMG experience! You won't be disappointed. However, if your girl ain't into "weird sh!t," then maybe it will suck for you both. I saw BMG in Chicago last Septemeber with the GF and she was so nice about the whole experience - "Wanigas hunny-buns, it wasn't that bad... except for the weird parts..." Luckily we had tix for Circ Du Soliel the next day and she loved it!!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife and I are heading to the Carribean on Valentine's Day. Gonna spend a week on a nice beach somewhere. Oh yeah...

I can't really claim this as a Valentine's gift as my father-in-law will be tagging along. Shouldn't complain though, he's paying for half the trip.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
We are making a nice dinner together at his place (away from roomies and dogs) home made choclates from me (VERY good). Ive made a MP CD of love songs we like and we plan to dance by candle light in the living room.

Ive surprised him and ordered a replica of a National Cathedral Gargoyle he loves! I have no idea if hes doing anything else for me but Ive been hinting about diamond studs or stuff for my Ipod.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We are hoping to take what little money we have and get out of town for a few days. I got the best gift of all for this valentine's day: Elmo and I have a four-day weekend with no kids in the house. :)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Wow, when I first saw the title of this post, I was thinking of diseases. I don't think it is a good idea to pass those things around.

Unfortunately, my Valentine is in Las Vegas for a convention, so I don't have to do anything. The stress of it all. Maybe when he gets back, we will go to dinner if we can get a baby sitter.

I hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day!

donk

Cyburbian
What is this "special someone" you speak of?

I think I'm getting "set up" on Friday night by friends. I'll be breaking the news to this group of friends that I am moving in 3 weeks.

Plans for saturday, grouting the new tile, painting the window sills and baseboard, starting to pack.

Since it's Mardi Gras time and the season is in full swing, BEK and I are going to a few parades Saturday night where he'll catch me a few baubles for my ever-growing collection. :-D

What am I getting him? Well, that's for me to know and for him to find out! :h:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Plans for the 14th...

Well, we are not serious yet, but working towards it, but she is still my date for Saturday. NOW the BIG PROBLEM… I have only know this person for a few weeks, and I asked her this past weekend if she wanted to spend Valentines Day with me. But yesterday I call Monico Bay for reservations, they are booked, so I call almost EVERY FREAKIN restaurant in downtown Kalamazoo, and they are all booked. So unless one of the other local planners has an idea, I am thinking of picking her up at her apt (with flowers) making stuffed lemon pepper chicken breast, red skin butter garlic potatoes and asparagus. But turning it into a candle lit (many many little candles) picnic dinner next to the fireplace. It will be all set to go by the time that we get back to my apt… I was then going to take her out to a piano bar for drinks, and then stopping by one of the local lakes, getting out of the car, putting in a CD of slow songs (currently looking for songs) and slow dancing under the moon light.

Does any other ideas or suggestions? I am thinking that I want to sweep her off her feet, I think that I really like this girl…

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mrs. Gedunker's birthday is the 12th, so Valentine's gets a little bit of the short shrift. With the kitchen almost finished, she has told me that what she would really like is a couple of trees for the front yard and some small diamond studs. So that's probably what I'll do.

The chances for a little nooky will be slim as the kids will likely be hopped up on sugar. :-(

Queen B

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Valentine's Day has me perplexed. We just bought a house and that first mortgage is due the first of March, so money is tight. On the other hand, the wife sure is a sweetie and I would like to do something nice for her. Trying to come up with something but not sure what. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Otterpop,
Last year I bought packet of frilly note paper and wrote little love notes and tucked them all over the house. he kept finding them for a couple of weeks. I would think your sweetie would get a kick out of finding a little note in the laundry that says you really appreciate that she takes care of you or express how nice she looks by a note on her mirror. Just get creative and tuck them everywhere!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Whats that Rumpy? What are you not sure about anymore?

Having second thoughts about having her as your Valentine or are you thinking of a different type of ring. One for the hand and not the ears?

I'm not sure what I'm doing, kind of been thinking alot lately about stuff. I'm not at the point of a
ring yet, but at one point I was. But being poor and all, by chance whats a good price for a set of white gold, 1/2 to 1/3 carat diamond earrings?

Floridays

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
I got him a new stud earring and to my surprise the other day he said he would like the new Rod Stewart, were he sings old romantic classics. I will pick up a card. But that's about it, no big romantic plans, he will be out of town with his girls at a band concert. I won't even see him until 8 or 9 that night.
My sister in law bought both of those Rod Stewart CDs for me for Christmas...they are awesome! V. romantic, too. Go for it!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Who is this "special someone" you that speak of?

Single besides like X-Mas thread,
to me this just another commercial conspiracy by the card, flower, chocolate, etc. companies.
maybe that why I am still single, I am too thrifty, ok a cheap B!

michaelskis said:
Does any other ideas or suggestions? I am thinking that I want to sweep her off her feet, I think that I really like this girl…

Seems like the only thing missing is THE RING!!!! What you have planned sounds perfect, especially since you two are "not serious yet." :)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Seems like the only thing missing is THE RING!!!! What you have planned sounds perfect, especially since you two are "not serious yet." :)
We have not known each other all that long... but for the first time in a long time, I am nervious around her, and my friends, (and maister) can contest, I don't get nervious around anyone for any reason. She is also a little on the quiet and shy side, but has started to warm up to me, even to the point while watching a movie last weekend at my place, where where cuddled up next to each other and she fell asleep in my arms. Although, it may not be a big deal, it felt right. And after the movie, she woke up, and I walked her out to her car.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Yeah, like I'd have a special someone. If I did, too, I'd probably be giving them the royal treatment, while I'd get a very special "let's just be friends!" speech.

Russian brides look better every day.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Since it's Mardi Gras time and the season is in full swing, BEK and I are going to a few parades Saturday night where he'll catch me a few baubles for my ever-growing collection. :-D

What am I getting him? Well, that's for me to know and for him to find out! :h:

Planderella and I will have a great time and I know that she'll love her gifts!!! I already have the greatest gift she could ever give me...her heart!!! :h:

:-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have a first date set up for tomorrow night. Nothing elaborate, just dinner and chatting. If it goes well, though, how do I handle "Saturday night?" It would be nice to find a decent woman I can warm up to. The last few have gone nowhere. If this doesn't work out maybe I'll be joining Dan and Donk in a search abroad.

donk

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
The last few have gone nowhere. If this doesn't work out maybe I'll be joining Dan and Donk in a search abroad.

I was only kidding, on a planner's salary you expect to be able to afford one?

At least by foreign women you can date a Canadian.

I had a date with a Russian girl (not mail order) a few months ago, nice enough girl, just with different life goals than I have.

Hopefully the new location has a deeper pool then my present one.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
I saw that show at the Chas Playhouse four years ago. My first BMG experience! You won't be disappointed. However, if your girl ain't into "weird sh!t," then maybe it will suck for you both. I saw BMG in Chicago last Septemeber with the GF and she was so nice about the whole experience - "Wanigas hunny-buns, it wasn't that bad... except for the weird parts..." Luckily we had tix for Circ Du Soliel the next day and she loved it!!

She had mentioned in the past she wanted to see BMG....so I thought this would be a great opportunity to suprise her with it. :) I can't wait....been wanting to go down and see it for quite some time.....

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
wow michaelski. I am impressed and a bit envious. Sounds like you have a wonderful night planned.
Not that I don't absolutely love my gift (if he could have kept it a secret ;-) ). I am very much looking forward to seeing BMG. I don't know if I could classify myself as liking strange things. To each his own I say.

Dragon

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
without any significant other... it's "just another day". whoo hooo... :(

I understand the feeling there. I plan on meeting one of my single friends and going to the Big Easy to :b:.

JNL

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Trying to come up with something but not sure what. Suggestions would be appreciated.

otterpop - to me Valentines Day is not about buying gifts, it's about taking time out to spend some time together, remembering all the things you like/love about your partner, and maybe sharing some of those things with them (could be in a card, or you could just tell them). So, I think something simple like a picnic dinner and some wine, you don't even have to go out but could set up a room and pretend you're somewhere else. Also, minimise distractions as much as possible!! Phones off, TV off etc. Hope it goes well :)

michaelskis - hell, I wouldn't complain if a guy did all that for me! Sounds great.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
thanks for the approval.

I just hope that she will like it and that her and I will continue to grow closer. I ended up being not single by the end of the weekend, I don’t think that I would have a problem with that. When I am around her, no matter where we are, I can’t help but smile and feel great about everything going on in my life right now. Wish me luck…

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
When I am around her, no matter where we are, I can’t help but smile and feel great
about everything going on in my life right now. Wish me luck…

Michaelskis, I know the feeling.

I feel the same way when I'm with the woman I seeing right now. We use the "L" word 8-! and have discussed the "M" word. 8-!

Good luck this weekend. I'll be rootin for you and we all are looking forward to the monday morning report.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:

Well I never thought I'd actually, you know, HELP you in any meaningful way....but here goes....You need to do for her what others before you have not thought of...... Take her to dinner at the Schnitzlebank in Grand Rapids. If there's a live theater production take her there (only if it's a comedy, though) afterwards. As far as music goes, remember the cardinal rule "at all times have Led Zepplin IV playing in the background"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Budgie said:
Anal lube and a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

So what time will you be over? ;)

Seriously, going out to Eddie Martini's for din din, one of the best steak houses in the midwest. If it doesnt cost 25% of a paycheck I'll be surprised.

Rem

Cyburbian
It's not a big deal in Australia, though it is growing (creeping US cultural imperialism? :-E). I haven't thought about it myself as yet.
otterpop said:
Valentine's Day has me perplexed. We just bought a house......
otterpop, BeenB's suggestion has it all over mine but I was thinking if you could find something house related (lowering the opportunity cost) it may be good. I made a rose garden one year which has gone very well and is still appreciated. I realise you guys are in the middle of winter so the garden options may be limited. Maybe a small fix up inside the house which is way down the list of priorities but you know Mrs otterpop would appreciate (you know, like put a seat on the toilet ;-) ).

otterpop said:
When money has been tight for us, I always appreciated a gift that didn't further strain the budget.

You know that saying: Women have sex to get love and men say they love you to get sex? (or something like that) There is an element of truth to it, especially if you are significantly below the age of 40 (the sexes become less polarized as they age): most women tend to really value something that tells her how deeply you FEEL for her and value her. I think the emphasis on expensive gifts is about trying to get a man to "prove" he values her "THIS much".

When we were 18, my husband used to write me really, really, really baaaad poetry. But it came from the heart and it meant a lot to me. (Enough that I married him when we were 19.) We both like to read a lot and book marks used to cost 99 cents. We had quite the collection of bookmarks with images and saying that were personally meaningful. We could always afford to spend a dollar plus tax, no matter how tight money was, to express our feelings for each other. Having kids "7 years ahead of schedule" meant that money was very tight for a lot of years. Whenever he gave me a deeply meaningful gift that wasn't another source of financial stress during the toughest times, I always felt that the NOT spending big was part of the gift: he knew how much I fretted about paying the bills and I was the one that kept the checkbook.

HTH.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I used to dread Valentines Day before SHE came around. :h: But I still think its a pretty unnecessary day - romantic couples have no shortage of anniversaries, birthdays and other meaningful dates to shower themselves with love, candy and greeting cards.

SIL is taking Jack, and Rob's taking me to fancy dinner, then out to see 50 First Dates.

Then (unbeknownst to him) he's getting lucky for the first time since I was about 5 months pregant (which would be last August).

Best Valentine's Ever!

The Irish One

This morning I was talking with a coworker about our being "quirkyalone" and she threw out an invite to be my illegitimate valentine. Illegite because in her words "we're not screwing". What fun, we have a gift limit of five dollars and it has to be a creative gift, she's artsy and I'm about as one dimensional as a person can get.