• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

What are you getting your special someone for V.D.

Here you go irish - meets your $$ reqs, and is safe for work, because they're only ALMOST naked celebrities.

:)

*crap - the link didn't attach. it was a crazy ebay thing. sorry!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
and my friends, (and maister) can
Ouch!
I'm sure all the decent and intelligent people on this forum (and michaelskis) picked up on that...

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Since we're still paying off the wedding, we've forbidden each other to buy anything for Valentine's. Probably will just tidy up around the house, watch a movie, maybe make dinner. Ahh, married life.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I thought you were talking about some other vd for a moment;)

...it is the gift that keeps on giving...

sent flowers to my girl's office (for tomorrow b/c VD is Sat and she is out on Fri)...picking up a DVD and a card to round it out...she's also getting a new tire fr my car and a new hard drive for my lap top (both went FUBAR this week...tough week...)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Well it is only 11 days away so I thought I would revive this thread I started almost 1 year ago.

What are you getting for your Valantien?

HMMM, for me since this will be our first V.D. :-c as married folks I think I'm gonna have to make it special.

So lets hear what your doing so I can steal your ideas. ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
This year, taking a night away (Wes will be watched by Nana) at a hotel, having dinner, and catching a Manchester Monarchs game.

Tried to find a B&B for a couple of nights away, but all had 3 night minimums, and we don't want to be away from Wes for that long. :) Planner Groupie came up with the hockey game idea. I love her! :)

The One

Cyburbian
Jewels.....

Some sort of jewels....maybe ruby or emerald this year.....oh and the free crystal bowl for spending $200 or more...... :-D ;-) :p Should score big points with Mrs. The One......

el Guapo

Capitalist
On that very special day I usually take her out to a fancy place to eat and to show I lover her I let the old lady supersize her meal. ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I will have a beer after class on Monday.

I have not made plans yet... it all depends on how my date this weekend goes.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Kenny Rogers love songs Volume I. She thinks Kenny is the most sexy man alive. We have tentative plans to go see him in September, provided all works out on the home front.

donk

Cyburbian
I have tentatively been invited to a person, who I wish was that special someone, birthday get together, unfortunately her new beau will probably be there too. Doubt I'll be going. Unlike last year when I was packing, I see this year as an unpacking year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This Valentines Day I am giving my beloved the gift of......an empty house, as I will be staffing the Zoning Board that evening! :-@ :-@ :-@

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
I have tentatively been invited to a person, who I wish was that special someone

Huh, what?! This surely can't be the same person you were talking about last time we chatted...

Not sure what to do this year...we're not huge on Valentines Day, consider it one of those "manufactured" holidays.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am in the early stages of dating a couple of women. I am not sure which one I will be spending Valentine's Day with, so I have not given any thought to what I might get her/them.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I am in the early stages of dating a couple of women. I am not sure which one I will be spending Valentine's Day with, so I have not given any thought to what I might get her/them.

You Go Cardinal.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Ugh... I hate Valentine's Day.

I'm having to save up for a wedding band for the big day in June plus make payments on the coming honeymoon. Oh yeah, and the tuition and car payments aren't helping matters much either. I'll probably take her somewhere nice for dinner and maybe get her something small. She understands that I'm forking over a lot of money on wedding/honeymoon/future home stuff for us right now.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
I think me and the boys will go out to dinner together...will be much better than my expectations for the past 12 V.D.'s just hoping the ex would get it right and bring flowers home or something...this year will be nice, dinner (maybe I will even let them play at the playland or something ;) ) then I will go home and find me a sappy chick flick for myself :)

zman

Cyburbian
Well, we may be doing something "light" as we are going to be buying a house and must save money.
I would like to do a little something, so maybe something 'homemade' ;)
My mother's 50th birthday is the next day, so I think I should get HER something. February seems to be THE month for birthdays in the family. As most of the extended fam on both sides seems to be born in Feb. :-@

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
kVR87K.jpg

/no girlfriend

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I love dining out, but definitely *NOT* on Valentine's Day - it's too darn crowded!

Most likely we'll spend a quiet evening at home and have dinner together, with a good bottle of wine. These days, that's a treat in itself. I don't need any gifts.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

Cardinal, Make sure you go with a generic choice!!!!

As for us we just took a 9 day vacation that was just wonderful so I don't expect much.. Last year he gave me a day at the spa.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
As for us we just took a 9 day vacation that was just wonderful so I don't expect much.

Speaking of which my rents are heading to Maui the week of VD. The last time they went to Hawaii, they got stuck on a boat on September 11, 2001.

clare2582

Cyburbian
I'm going to be miserable, think of how things COULD BE, watch the bachelorette, and go to bed alone.

BAH!

nerudite

Cyburbian
No special plans really. We have the kids that night until 8:00, so that pretty much blows anything romantic out of the water. We don't usually get each other gift or anything, so it's no big deal.

boiker

Cyburbian
I'm going to try to cook up something special for her. I havn't had a chance to do it in the past couple years... well not the way I want to.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
clare2582 said:
I'm going to be miserable, think of how things COULD BE, watch the bachelorette, and go to bed alone.

BAH!

me too :cool: ...just take some sleeping pills early and go to sleep, once ya wake up the silly day will be all over with ;)

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
clare2582 said:

BAH!

aside from watching the bachelorette, I agree with you - especially given that I just broke up with my gf a week ago.

BAH HAMBUG... ;-)

Budgie

Cyburbian
MitchBaby said:
aside from watching the bachelorette, I agree with you - especially given that I just broke up with my gf a week ago.

BAH HAMBUG... ;-)

BAH, bitchandmoan. My sweetie is "single" and is with her "ex" who is help her out with sick kids, because he's still "dad". I can't be openly in the picture yet. ARGHHHHHH !!!!!! :-(

Although she did say something about leaving a flower and VS teddy on my doorstep. :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
That day, I'll be calling my sister (it's her birthday), then climbing into a bottle of Beefeaters.

Dragon

Cyburbian
I think I'll take the GF out for dinner. I need to get her something good, maybe something from Victoria's Secret :D Not going to happen, but it was a nice thought.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Dragon said:
I think I'll take the GF out for dinner. I need to get her something good, maybe something from Victoria's Secret :D Not going to happen, but it was a nice thought.

Notice in my previous post that I mention my sweetie leaving a VS (Victoria Secret) teddy on my doorstep. Her and I have discussed men giving VS stuff to to their ladies and we decided that it is in most cases a selfish gift. If I give BA a teddy, it's for my benefit as much as it is for hers. Not that this is a bad thing. Just something to think about. That's why she might get a VS teddy for me instead of herself.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Well, we are not serious yet, but working towards it, but she is still my date for Saturday. NOW the BIG PROBLEM… I have only know this person for a few weeks, and I asked her this past weekend if she wanted to spend Valentines Day with me. But yesterday I call Monico Bay for reservations, they are booked, so I call almost EVERY FREAKIN restaurant in downtown Kalamazoo, and they are all booked. So unless one of the other local planners has an idea, I am thinking of picking her up at her apt (with flowers) making stuffed lemon pepper chicken breast, red skin butter garlic potatoes and asparagus. But turning it into a candle lit (many many little candles) picnic dinner next to the fireplace. It will be all set to go by the time that we get back to my apt… I was then going to take her out to a piano bar for drinks, and then stopping by one of the local lakes, getting out of the car, putting in a CD of slow songs (currently looking for songs) and slow dancing under the moon light.

Does any other ideas or suggestions? I am thinking that I want to sweep her off her feet, I think that I really like this girl…

She'll go for it. Trust me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Top 10 Survey of Worst Valentine's Gifts include:

10. Vacuum
9. Paper Shredder
8. Electric Frying Pan
7. Crock-pot
6. Rug shampooer
5. Pencil sharpener
4. Ice scraper
3. Can of soup
2. Wisconsin cheese
1. Cold pizza

According to survey from article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050125/sftu059_1.html

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Budgie said:
Hey buddy, don't tempt me. Here's a photo she took of me with my Christmas present.

z734det.jpg
You know, I was going to suggest that you wear this outfit to the SF APA so that we could all identify you.....but this is pretty common south of Market.... (NTTAWWT)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Top 10 Survey of Worst Valentine's Gifts include:

10. Vacuum
9. Paper Shredder
8. Electric Frying Pan
7. Crock-pot
6. Rug shampooer
5. Pencil sharpener
4. Ice scraper
3. Can of soup
2. Wisconsin cheese
1. Cold pizza

According to survey from article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050125/sftu059_1.html

so a orbital sander would be okay since it didn't make the list :-c ...

she did ask for it so...

I might throw in a dinner either some nice whipped up in the kitchen or out somewhere... if she's lucky maybe the Waffle House ;-)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
clare2582 said:

BAH!

Amen sister, sad thing is I'm married.

I have a Council meeting that night, and I doubt we will do anything anyway. Last year, for Mothers Day, my FIRST one ever, he got me a $5 gift certificate from Dairy Queen. When he does it right, he does great, but when he does bad he really screws up. I am so not materialistic, but he could have at least put a little thought into it.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I have Selectboard that night, with me center stage to talk about stormwater regs and sewer allocations. Great, huh?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
It's a Monday this year. How romantic. We'll both be working late, so probably will just make spaghetti or something. We skipped our 1st anniversary dinner, too....ain't married life great? On the other hand, we are saving a lot by not buying cards, chocolates, flowers, etc... :cool:

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm not sure what we're doing. Usually we'll make dinner but no gifts. At least I hope he doesn't buy me anything as he just surprised me with a new pair of shoes and a gift card to one of my favortie clothes stores. I think I may buy us a couples package at a local spa. :)