• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What Are You Having for Thanksgiving Dinner? [American-Centric Poll]

What Are You Having for Thanksgiving Dinner?

• Turkey [img]http://www.meijer.com/partyguide/images/82.jpg[/img]

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Ham [img]http://www.meijer.com/partyguide/images/83.jpg[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pizza & Beer [img]http://www.buona.com/images/pizza_beer.jpg[/img]

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Roadkill [img]http://www.prankplace.com/images/rkh_f.jpg[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SCREW THE DAMN AMERICANS! [img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/portuguese/images/020503_franca300.jpg[/img]

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Hee hee...

SkeLeton said:
Shouldn't this be in the FAC?
Oh, I thought about that. But for those who make Thanksgiving dinner, we know that it isn't a small endeavor and must be planned with the utmost attention to detail. Big plans man, big plans! Especially when the in-laws come over...

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
Hee hee...

Oh, I thought about that. But for those who make Thanksgiving dinner, we know that it isn't a small endeavor and must be planned with the utmost attention to detail. Big plans man, big plans! Especially when the in-laws come over...

Too late.....thread moved.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
giff57 said:
Too late.....thread moved.
The STUFFED SHIRTS OF CYBURBIA strike again! Manoman, sometimes I think you moderators have no sense of humor. NONE. None at all.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
none of the above

My wife and I will be having Thanksgiving without the family. Just the two of us. So, we decided to try something new. We'll be boiling up some nice big lobsters with homemade bread, potatoes, and whatever else we want to have.

I can't wait to see my neighborhood on Thanksgiving. All the trixies and chads will be gone for the holiday, and it's going to be nice and quiet without them yabbing on their cellys.;-)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
We do a big potluck based on family favorites and stuff from those glossy food mags. Thinking of doing a pumpkin creme brulee this year---that way I get to bring out the blowtorch.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Pizza and beer! No turkey stupid. I remember when I was living in picksburg and we had barely any money, so for thanksgiving we took all of our change to one of those change machines and got enough money to buy 1 turkey, 1 bottle of bourban and 1 case of beer. No side dishes, just beer basted turkey. Man that week sucked cause our hot water heater exploded and cold showers just suck. Good thing we had the whiskey.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm probably not going to be able to go home this Thanksgiving so I'll be having dinner with the fiancees family. Her Dad is really excited about this because he wants me to deep fry a turkey for them. I'm willing to do this but the last time (first time by myself) I put to much oil in the deep fryer, and when I dropped the turkey in, created a big fireball that almost took out my sisters carport.

It should be an interesting time.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ugh... please don't make me remember the thanksgiving season.. I just hated the menu of the week: Thanksgiving dinner: Turkey, Lunch and dinner for the next 3-4 days... yup you guessed it! TURKEY! One sure gets bored after a while... and you just hate when they sell big 'n cheap turkeys that last for a week...

kms

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I'm probably not going to be able to go home this Thanksgiving so I'll be having dinner with the fiancees family. Her Dad is really excited about this because he wants me to deep fry a turkey for them. I'm willing to do this but the last time (first time by myself) I put to much oil in the deep fryer, and when I dropped the turkey in, created a big fireball that almost took out my sisters carport.

It should be an interesting time.
While the turkey is still wrapped, put it in the empty fryer, and add water to cover it. Remove the turkey and measure the water to know how much oil you need. Knowing this doesn't mean I'm smarter than you. Someone else is smarter than both of us, at least about this subject. It is not good karma to burn down something that belongs to future in-laws.

We'll have the traditional meal, the works. We invite family only and everyone contributes something.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Thanksgiving was soooo last month. Get with the times people ;)
Yeah, no doubt! Not that I got to cook anything this year... too busy with the moving and stuff.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Wanigas? said:
The STUFFED SHIRTS OF CYBURBIA strike again! Manoman, sometimes I think you moderators have no sense of humor. NONE. None at all.
You tryin' to be funny there fellow?

Cut and paste this wav file in your browers. Death to Geocities!

http://www.geocities.com/mikeandjenna1999/smokey/SMOKEY02.wav

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
While the turkey is still wrapped, put it in the empty fryer, and add water to cover it. Remove the turkey and measure the water to know how much oil you need. Knowing this doesn't mean I'm smarter than you. Someone else is smarter than both of us, at least about this subject. It is not good karma to burn down something that belongs to future in-laws.

We'll have the traditional meal, the works. We invite family only and everyone contributes something.
Thanks kms

That's such an obviously simple way to prevent turkey fire balls...no wonder I didn't think of it myself.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Thanksgiving was soooo last month. Get with the times people ;)
You Canadians are always trying to do things before the us Americans do them.

Well, technically, Canadians are Americans, as well as those in South and Central America. After all, anyone living in one of the "Americas" is an American, right?

Okay, so Canadians are always trying to to things before us rude, obnoxious, generally overweight inhabitants of the United States do them. There. :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
My youngest son is planning on shooting one of the wild turkeys that live near our property. Fine with me provides he cleans it. Anyone ever have a wild turkey? Any special way to cook it?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
My youngest son is planning on shooting one of the wild turkeys that live near our property. Fine with me provides he cleans it. Anyone ever have a wild turkey? Any special way to cook it?
Have not but heard they are much better than the hormone filled store turkeys. Deep frying is a good way to do it. Just be careful, people have caused large fires with the fryers, but only because they did it wrong.

[/IMG]

biscuit

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Have not but heard they are much better than the hormone filled store turkeys. Deep frying is a good way to do it. Just be careful, people have caused large fires with the fryers, but only because they did it wrong.
The best way is to inject the turkey with marinade before frying it. Very, very good.

I couldn't imagine that anyone around here would be stupid enough to start a fire with a turkey...Oh, wait, nevermind.

kms

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
The best way is to inject the turkey with marinade before frying it. Very, very good.

I couldn't imagine that anyone around here would be stupid enough to start a fire with a turkey...Oh, wait, nevermind.
I wouldn't recommend using the fryer during a powerfule windstorm, either. :)

What flavor marinade do you use? I use a local brand wing sauce, and just found creole butter marinade at our supermarket. We tried the garlic marinade that the fryer company sells, but it is too flavorful.

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
I wouldn't recommend using the fryer during a powerfule windstorm, either. :)

What flavor marinade do you use? I use a local brand wing sauce, and just found creole butter marinade at our supermarket. We tried the garlic marinade that the fryer company sells, but it is too flavorful.

Neither is it advisable to do so while nude. :)

I don't know what brand it is , but we've always used a mild cajun marinade. I bet the wing sauce is even better. Mmmmm... I'm getting hungry again.

Richmond Jake

I don't know....I haven't heard anything good about these deep fryers. A lot of evidence that they're dangerous. Unless of course, the womyn folk are doing the cooking.

JNL

Cyburbian
It'll be my first Thanksgiving - my Texan housemate is going to cook for us, Turkey and all!

Slightly OT: I saw this thing on TV about how new oven sizes have gotten smaller and most are not big enough to fit turkeys, so there's this NZ company that's making turkey-sized ovens and the American market can't get enough!! There's a waiting list of several months.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
I don't know....I haven't heard anything good about these deep fryers. A lot of evidence that they're dangerous. Unless of course, the womyn folk are doing the cooking.
I have one of those units, and they are a little dangerous. Like anything you have to be smart about it. You know you have 2-3 gallons of flammable oil boiling above an open flame. So, don't set the thing up on your deck. Set it on a slab of concrete well away from anything that will burn. Test dip the turkey in the pot with water so you know how much oil to use.

If you do have a problem, you lose the fryer and the turkey and nothing else.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
They are much leaner than the others so cooking times should be much shorter. They can get very dry and tough if over cooked.

I LOVE Thanksgiving. We do the full turkey dinner. This year however, Baby Downtown is due that week, so I hope he makes his appearance early in the week so I can be home from the hospital in time for my Mother in Law's T-giving dinner!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Fried turkey is good and all, but have you guys ever heard of a Turducken ?
URL] Hmmm.....turducken......
Nope... but that definitely looks yummy! I'll give the address where you can ship leftovers... ;)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Have not gone home for thanksgiving since 1976.

but I have had thanksgiving dinner occasionally and now
I am even more apprehensive about eating too much of the wrong thing.

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We'll be at mom's having the exact same Thanksgiving menu we've had my entire life. Love Mom's stuffing!

One caveat: my brother's mother-in-law won't be here this year, so we are spared the creamed onions, and the pumpkin souffle alleged-pie that we have been subjected to for the last 10 years. No wonder my sister-in-law never learned to cook a decent meal!

Rem

Cyburbian
I've just found out the date - 4th Thursday in November. So it's a month away and menus are being discussed?

Zoning Goddess said:
..... my brother's mother-in-law won't be here this year, so we are spared the creamed onions, and the pumpkin souffle alleged-pie that we have been subjected to for the last 10 years. No wonder my sister-in-law never learned to cook a decent meal!
This is very dangerous territory ZG. It's one thing to take the risk of paying out on your employer and colleagues on Cyburbia - but in-laws once removed is suicidal. You should start thinking about a name change a la "H".

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Rem said:
So it's a month away and menus are being discussed?
We look forward to Thanksgiving all year. A 4-day weeked. Football games, and eating all weekend. The day after is also the traditional first day fo Christmas shopping. Retailers have everything on sale.

Richmond Jake

SlaveToTheGrind said:
We look forward to Thanksgiving all year. A 4-day weeked. Football games, and eating all weekend. The day after is also the traditional first day fo Christmas shopping. Retailers have everything on sale.
I think the only things you omitted were heavy alcohol consumption and family arguements.

ludes98

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:

Yes, yes. There is nothing like a large group of people over-eating followed by a huge dose of retail consumption. Look forward to it every year. Then it magically repeats itself as Christmas... or is the other way around...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Rem said:

This is very dangerous territory ZG. It's one thing to take the risk of paying out on your employer and colleagues on Cyburbia - but in-laws once removed is suicidal. You should start thinking about a name change a la "H".
Luckily, nobody on that side of the family has a clue about planning, so Cyburbia is my little secret.

P.S. I don't think I have ever heard the phrase "in-laws once removed" before. I wish they had been removed!

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I'll probably be eating pizza and drinking beer on thanksgiving while catching up on a research paper I have procrastinated on. Ahhhhh...gotta love the student life. I never really was a big fan of the holiday. Celebrating things with food/eating doesn't seem like a celebratory act to me. I'm more thankful for other things. And what's up with the fried turkey?!?! That sounds like a arterius cloggus to me....

I do appreciate the time off and away from school/work though. :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
I'll probably be eating pizza and drinking beer on thanksgiving while catching up on a research paper I have procrastinated on. B]

You picked that one too, the pizza looks like it needs a little more cheese though. Ah screw it I'm getting a turkey.

donk

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I think the only things you omitted were heavy alcohol consumption and family arguements.
It is not a good family get together unless at least one member cries.

Richmond Jake

donk said:
It is not a good family get together unless at least one member cries.
Or passes out on the couch during a football game.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Turkey and my grandmother/mother's french meat stuffing will be the highlight of my Thanksgiving....and not having to hear my wife bitch about how Thanksgiving is better with her family will be nice too.