• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

What are your plans for the 4th?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We have no plans for the 4th. I have to work on the 5th so I'm not sure if it's worth it to seek out a fireworks display in the area. At a minimum, I'd like to grill steaks in observance of our great nation declaring its independence from Great Britain.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Parade, seafood festival, dinner at a waterfront restuaruant to watch the fireworks - drag myself to work tomorrow

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Family, Parade, fireworks. Mercifully no travel, which we have done in the past. Working Friday.

Bubba

Cyburbian
In-laws are coming over - going to grill up some chicken thighs and some sausages (and whatever else ends up materializing) and drink a beer or two. No plans to search out fireworks - the lighting bugs in the backyard should put on a good display around dusk, though...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'm trying to prop myself up by considering today the First Friday of this week, as opposed to considering Friday this week's Second Monday. The ex thinks I'm such a Negative Nellie. Phooey on her.

Anyway, Independence Day is supposed to rain, so I'm going to stay at home and see if I can find Yankee Doodle on TV somewhere or other. Maybe have a martini or two. I will go out of my way to avoid watching Boss Trump screw up an otherwise nice holiday tradition.

kms

Cyburbian
I have plans for a bike ride, cookout and fireworks, and regret accepting the invitation.

Really, I hope it storms all day so I can stay home.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have plans for a bike ride, cookout and fireworks, and regret accepting the invitation.

Really, I hope it storms all day so I can stay home.
Isn't there some sort of graceful way to bow out? What say our etiquette experts?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Grilling steaks while we work on the truck. We're so close but this vehicle has GOT to get back on the road for summer!!

kms

Cyburbian
Isn't there some sort of graceful way to bow out? What say our etiquette experts?
I have an easy out for fireworks. I’m the only person who responded to the invitation from a really good friend that I haven’t been able to see much this summer. So, there are extenuating circumstances.

It’s my inner introvert who wants to get out of it. I may be in seclusion for the rest of July.

DVD

Cyburbian
Hot dogs and fireworks with the kids. As soon as I figure out what fireworks are legal here.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm headed up to Port Urine after work this afternoon to go meet up with my wife and kids at the beach. We'll be playing on the beach and in the cold cold cold cold water all afternoon today and all day tomorrow. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to come back home on Friday or Saturday.

We'll grill, we'll make s'mores, and I'll drive around in a Model A and maybe go to the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse (I'm going to try to get the FIL to let me drive the '65 Mustang instead of one of the Model As though). Other than just loafing around for a few days, there is a 140' suspension foot bridge over a river at a park not far from the in-laws that neither my wife nor I have ever been to so we are going to try and check that out Friday morning.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My wife and son went up north to visit family, so I'm home alone with the dogs, so my July 4th will probably entail consoling the dogs when it sounds like the world around them is coming to an end.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What are we NOT doing for the 4th, you ask?
Getting into Lake Michigan. Not only is it too cold this time of year, but it's apparently infested with sea monsters too

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Going to a "New England-style clambake" (but I think it'll be fairly legit since the hostess is originally from RI) and then watching the local fireworks with the kiddos. This year we live close enough to walk over to the fireworks display so I'm stoked.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
* :coffee: :toilet: :poop: :D

* Put the window air conditioner back into my wife's office. (The mini-splits in the other rooms don't have full house coverage.)

* Maybe replace the under-counter lighting system in the kitchen.

* Replace a few more old painted-over brass door hinges with nice, new, smooth action brushed nickel hinges.

* Spread more mulch in the plant beds.

* Maybe take a drive to get some ice cream.

* :beer:

I really need to buy an American flag set. One that's made in the USA.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What are we NOT doing for the 4th, you ask?
Getting into Lake Michigan. Not only is it too cold this time of year, but it's apparently infested with sea monsters too

Yesterday we headed out to a farms stand that's on the way to South Haven. Junior was crushed CRUSHED that we weren't going to South Haven. to see the sea monster, of course.

DVD

Cyburbian
Finally watched Game of Thrones. Watched Stranger Things. Someone in the house made cookies and we did some hot dogs. Later the kids lit off the fireworks. Everything the 4th is meant to be.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
We did make it to the suspension bridge on Friday morning. I was a bit more nervous to walk across it than I thought I would be. At one point my wife told me to turn around so she could snap a picture. That was a big nope from me as I just wanted to get across as quickly as possible.

I also went for a run Friday morning and after about 6 miles I tripped on some uneven pavement and took quite the spill. Both my knees, the palm of my left hand, and my right forearm were really scuffed up. I had about 2 miles to go to back to the house and was planning to tough it out but after a few more blocks I looked down and saw my left leg was now absolutely soaked in blood so I called my wife to come pick me up. Once I washed up, the damage wasn't so bad (I think the heat (body and ambient) and sweat were making the blood flow a lot faster) but I was definitely picking gravel out of my left knee and left palm all weekend long.

Bubba

Cyburbian
In-laws are coming over - going to grill up some chicken thighs and some sausages (and whatever else ends up materializing) and drink a beer or two. No plans to search out fireworks - the lighting bugs in the backyard should put on a good display around dusk, though...
Have some good leftovers to munch on tomorrow for dinner. Did get to listen to what sounded like a pretty good fireworks show, which was a bit puzzling, considering there wasn't anything scheduled for that time in the vicinity...