• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What baseball team do you support?

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Summer is the time for the National Past time? I see references to favorite baseball teams but was wondering if there were any Dodger fans out there. Mr. SisterCeleste and I...well our blood pumps royal blue for the Dodgers (which is not so easy to do around here cause everyone is a Braves fan). My husband's grandfather use to take him to Ebbet's field. We got married during the baseball strike of '81...weak moment in his life. I had to promise not to have babies during the World Series. Let's hear from you in support of your team!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
When I lived in Denver I followed the very beginning of the Rockies, even attended some of the last games of the then Zephyrs (AAA) - both played in the old / now gone Mile Stadium.

Now it is the St. Louis Cardinals.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I stopped following baseball a few years back. This is the first year our Brewers are fielding a team worth watching, so I'm going to about 6-8 games. I wont watch baseball on TV though.

sisterceleste said:
Summer is the time for the National Past time? I see references to favorite baseball teams but was wondering if there were any Dodger fans out there. Mr. SisterCeleste and I...well our blood pumps royal blue for the Dodgers (which is not so easy to do around here cause everyone is a Braves fan). My husband's grandfather use to take him to Ebbet's field. We got married during the baseball strike of '81...weak moment in his life. I had to promise not to have babies during the World Series. Let's hear from you in support of your team!
I hate to add to your besieged feeling, but I'm a Braves fan. Family illness has kept me from following very closely this season, but I even get a kick out of listening to repeats of radio broadcasts of historic Braves games ... my favorites are the 1948 series especially the game featuring Sain (Boston Braves) and Feller (Cleveland), and one of the best series of all time, the 1957 Milwaukee Braves-Yankees series. Spahn, Burdette, Aaron, Mathews, Mantle, Ford, Kubek, Berra, Larsen ... do I need to go on?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I get to experience enough baseball vicariously via our secretary, who is a huge Cubs fan. Our office gets an update every morning after a game. So nope, I'm not a fan of any team myself.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
None. I just want the Yankees to lose.

boiker

Cyburbian
I support the other chicago baseball team... (i can hear some already..."do they have another?")

The White Sox! Go Go White Sox!

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
I've always been a Detroit Tigers fan, though I have to admit I don't keep up with baseball that much anymore. I didn't like the Braves growing up because it seemed every redneck was a Braves fan, but now that I live in Atlanta, I cheer for them. I haven't managed to get $1 tickets yet but the $5 tickets are fine since its a short jump to the stadium. If going to the ballpark was a huge production that involved driving through traffic, paying for parking, lugging kids along, etc., I probably would never go. But $5 for an evening of entertainment and hanging out with friends is pretty good.

Luckily the Braves and Tigers are in different leagues so there isn't a conflict too often. I did have to cheer for the Tigers this past week during inter-league play.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Larry Felton Johnson said:
do I need to go on?
According to Mr. Sisterceleste, the greatest game ever played was game 7 of the 1955 Series when Johnny Podres pitched a two nothing shutout against the hated Yankees and the first time the Dodgers beat the Yankees in the World Series.

I got him a book for Christmas that you might enjoy...The Best Baseball Games Ever Played by John McCollister. He loved it.

boiker said:
I support the other chicago baseball team... (i can hear some already..."do they have another?")

The White Sox! Go Go White Sox!
I'm familiar with the Cubs. Are the White Sox a minor league team?

Having raised the ire of White Sox fans, I also have a good Dodgers comment, although I'm not the one who made it. Bill Terry was the last National League hitter to bat .400. He was raised here in Atlanta (I'm part of a volunteer group which is cleaning up the cemetery in which his grandparents and great grandparents are buried). He became manager of the New York Giants after his career as a first baseman, and was detested by many New Yorkers because he was perceived as aloof and arrogant (in a reversal of the usual regional stereotypes). He worked one particular borough into a rage during an interview. The Brooklyn Dodgers had been
in the cellar for several years in a row. Terry was asked by a reporter what he thought of the Dodgers's prospects. He replied "I haven't heard a peep from them in years. Are they still in the League?".

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was at Yankee Stadium (161st and River) when Mel Stottlemyre hit an inside the park grand slam, so I grew up a Yankees fan, and Roger Maris was my idol. When the Yankees didn't want Roger anymore and he was traded to the Cardinals, I figured I'd go along with him and have been bleeding Cardinal red ever since.

I have recently learned that Billy Hermann, a Hall-of-Fame second baseman for the Chcago Little Bears lived in my house for a short while. He was born and raised in this City, but I'm still trying to document his time in this very house (though the County historian assures me that it is true, I want to see it for myself.)

My dad was a Dodger fan and, when they moved to LA, he was without a team until the Mets came along. Oh! the arguments we'd have until both the Mets and Cards got to be pretty good (mid-80s). I remember fondly waking up in the morning after a Cards-Mets game and finding pink feathers on the floor outside my bedroom -- my dad's way of telling me the Mets had beaten the Cards |-)

I love baseball -- what a grand and glorious game!

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I grew up as a Cardinals fan, got to see Stan Musial play at the very end of his career, Bob Gibson, Tim McCarver, et al. Now I just like baseball, root for whoever seems to be putting out the energy and effort.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Originally from Baltimore, I grew up an Orioles fan. Used to see Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson at the old stadium.
Now I am a Marlins fan. It hacked me off that I went to most of the games last year when NO ONE was in the stands...then couldn't get tickets to playoff games, etc. Dang "fair weather" fans!
I also love the Cubs. I've been to Wrigley Field on a few occassions and to be it is the BEST ball field ever. Even got to "sing with Harry" before he was gone.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I grew up a Detroit Tigers fan... and I still am. BUT I would rather see Cubs v Red Sox in the World Series.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
nobody in particular.

I'll watch the Cubs and White Sox highlights on the morning news though.

I do this to simply make semi-plausible sports banter if the moment requires it. :-D

I'm with JNA, Gedunker and Lee Ellis. St. Louis Cardinals since the 80s. With the likes of:

Terry Pendleton
Ozzie Smith
Jack Clark
Todd Worrell
Willie McGee
Vince Coleman and others

It's funny growing up in Omaha, the Kansas City Royals were the closest MLB team but I hated them :-# . They were always on TV, and I couldn't see any of the other teams unless it was the Cubs on WGN, the Braves on TBS or the Mets on WOR. (Cable TV is a wonderful invention! :-D ) However, I didn't mind going to the Triple A Omaha Royals games.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Life long Red Sox fan. You're born with it around here.

And actually, for the first time in my life, after about 20 or so previous trips to Fenway Park, I FINALLY saw them win a game in person Friday night, when Planner Groupie and I sat in free $70 seats. :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am a lifelong Milwaukee Brewers fan even though it has been very very difficult over the past 10 years or so. As Chet mentioned they seem to be back on track and they are very exciting to watch so I anticipate I will attend more games this year.

I liked the Cubs since my Dad's side of the family are life-long Cubs fans. When the Brewers switched to the National League they became public enemy number 1. I hate them and I hate most of their obnoxious fans.

I like the Red Sox and the Padres too but don't follow them too closely unless they are in the playoffs.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I love the Yankees. They've got the cutest two guys in baseball, they always win, and celebrities like them. ;-)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:
I love the Yankees. They've got the cutest two guys in baseball, they always win, and celebrities like them. ;-)
There were some "great" shirts being hawked on the way back to the T Friday night....

"Jeter S**ks A-Rod"
"Posada is a little b**ch"

along with the usual "Yankees s**k" shirts....I should have picked up a couple for you Seabishop. ;-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
There were some "great" shirts being hawked on the way back to the T Friday night....

"Jeter S**ks A-Rod"

along with the usual "Yankees s**k" shirts....I should have picked up a couple for you Seabishop. ;-)
Yikes, I'm not that bad. :-D

I don't think I'll see a Sox/Yankees game in person again. I've never been surrounded by more drunken idiots before. (I've never been to a laefest ;-) )Friendly rivalry is one thing but people get way too carried away. I'd be perfectly happy seeing the dozens of other teams visit.

Then again, I probably won't save up enough for another pair of tickets for about 10 years. :-\

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:
Yikes, I'm not that bad. :-D

I don't think I'll see a Sox/Yankees game in person again. I've never been surrounded by more drunken idiots before. (I've never been to a laefest ;-) )Friendly rivalry is one thing but people get way too carried away. I'd be perfectly happy seeing the dozens of other teams visit.

Then again, I probably won't save up enough for another pair of tickets for about 10 years. :-\
I'm with you on going to Sox-Yankees games.....too many idiots around the park. I've only been to one (a couple of years ago), and that is enough to last me a few decades. ;-)

The ticket prices are awful.....I wouldn't have been there Friday if Planner Groupie hadn't won the tickets in a drawing at her office. Best seats I've ever had at Fenway.....Loge Box 99, Row B, Seats 1 & 2.....right field line, not too far back from first base ($70 seats). Next time I'm sure I'll be back to bleachers ($20, the cheapest seats in the house) or obstructed view grandstand seats (for $40 a pop).

Tom R

Cyburbian
Bucs

Being born and raised near Pittsburgh, I've allways been a Pirates fan. This goes back to old Forbes Field and Roberto Clemente, Bill Mazeroski and Elroy Face. Recently though, the Pirates have functioned as either a farm team for the rest of pro baseball or a pre-retirement home for the aged. Locally, its fun to go watch the Akron Aeros (AA) and a lot cheaper too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
nobody in particular.

I'll watch the Cubs and White Sox highlights on the morning news though.

I do this to simply make semi-plausible sports banter if the moment requires it. :-D
Like Mendelman, I 'follow' sports insofar as it allows me an opportunity to make semi-plausible banter and come off looking somewhat normal . I'd like to think I do a passable job of it, but you'd have to ask Michaelskis how successful I am with the whole charade.....
"So.......Mr. Brownshoes......how about that local sports team?"
- Montgomery Burns attempting to establish cameraderie with an employee

MD Planner

Cyburbian
How 'bout those O's? Life long Oriole fan here. I was in attendance yesterday as the Oriole braintrust thought the smart thing to do would be to pitch to Barry. One pitch, 2 runs. If you make a mistake with that guy he will make you pay everytime. He almost hit one out of the park, opposite field with a check swing.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Used to see the Twins play at old Met Stadiu. Rod Carew, Roy Smalley, Butch Winegar, Mike Cubbage, to name a few. Still follow the Twins, even though I have not lived in Minnesota since 1983. But with baseball and too many games, I can't really get into it until the world series. Although I did catch a White Sox/Indians game when I went to the APA conference in Chicago. Baseball is much easier to watch in person.

boiker

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Baseball is much easier to watch in person.
But if I can't be at the game (which is nearly all the time now).. radio is the way to "watch" baseball.

H

Cyburbian
1. The Braves my real hometown team
2. The Fish my surrogate hometown team

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
LET'S GO YANK-EES!

born and raised a yankee fan...wouldn't wear my little league team hat, only my yankee cap.

Budgie said:
The stinking ROYALS !!!!
Budgie, I'm still upset about the '85 series. I thought the Cards had that one. I dislike the Diamondbacks too. In the 2001 NLCS, we were sooooo close to getting back to the World Series.

Floridays

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

"Jeter S**ks A-Rod"
I saw one @ the Marlin's game that said "YANK THIS!" :-D

Budgie

Cyburbian
the north omaha star said:
Budgie, I'm still upset about the '85 series.
Seeing Joaquin Andujar come unglued was too much fun. I will always remember Daryl Motley's Game 7 tater that hit the foul pole in left. I think John Tudor was pitching. If I'm not mistaken 1985 was a career year for both Andujar and Tudor.

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Red Sox Fan

sisterceleste said:

I follow the Boston Red Sox and get my heart broke every September. I live near Baltimore so I go to their games except when the Sox are playing.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I'm a cubbies fan. :-D

The Yankees suck. I don't know why anyone would be a Yankees fan. It's like rooting for the Empire in Star Wars.

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
The Yankees suck. I don't know why anyone would be a Yankees fan. It's like rooting for the Empire in Star Wars.

People are Yankee fans because it's what they grew up with--it's history. I come from a long line of Yankee fans--I'm a 4th generation and my nephew is the 5th! Furthermore, let's reflect--everyone dislikes the Yanks because they "win all the time." Sure, historically, they've won 26 World Series but only 4 have been relatively recent--prior to the 1996 win, the Yanks hadn't won a world series since 1981 (coincidentally, the year of my birth). Therefore, for the formative years of my youth I dealt with loss, a World Series win for the Amazin' Mets in '86 (Buckner), and all I had was Donny Baseball and the Albany/Colonie Yankees to see me through.

So, sure, get annoyed with people who wear pink baseball hats and who think Jeter is God and that have become bandwagon Yankee fans (or Red Sox).

But in the past couple years, aside from Giambi and A-Rod (who the Red Sox couldn't land and Yanks didn't want until they NEEDED a 3rd baseman when Boone blew his knee out), the majority of the Yanks core players were all farm team players. Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, Andy Pettite (former Yank), Soriano (now with Rangers), Shane Spencer (was clutch during the '98 series)--all came up through the farm system.

And, lastly, it's my contention that if you have enough money invest in a major league baseball team, then you probably have enough money to spend to get the marquis players. Which begs the question, is George Steinbrenner really a terrible person/owner because he's willing to put his own money towards something he truly believes in or are other owners just too cheap to shell out money to get decent players? He bought the team for 12 million in 1973--one hell of an investment. Do I think there should be a salary cap? Sure. But I can't blame the guy (Steinbrenner) for wanting to win.

Attachments

NHPlanner

Staff member
Elisabeth said:
Which begs the question, is George Steinbrenner really a terrible person/owner because he's willing to put his own money towards something he truly believes in or are other owners just too cheap to shell out money to get decent players?
The issue isn't Steinbrenner, it's revenue streams.....and the Yankee's dwarf's everyone elses....that's where the inequity comes from.

tsc

Cyburbian
I live about 25 miles from Yankee stadium....but I admit.... I am a Mets Fan.. :-\

boiker

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
And, lastly, it's my contention that if you have enough money invest in a major league baseball team, then you probably have enough money to spend to get the marquis players. Which begs the question, is George Steinbrenner really a terrible person/owner because he's willing to put his own money towards something he truly believes in or are other owners just too cheap to shell out money to get decent players? He bought the team for 12 million in 1973--one hell of an investment. Do I think there should be a salary cap? Sure. But I can't blame the guy (Steinbrenner) for wanting to win.
Two words that have saved the NFL. REVENUE SHARING.

The only reason the NFL is competitve and unpredictable is due to this. Every team, regardless of market has the same income flowing in.. the same salary cap, etc.. Administration is a level playing field. Then it becomes a game of whoe is crafty enough to draft, sign, develop, and trade the right players and staff.

The Yankees are worth almost 1 billion. That is due to their massive television contract to serve the NY metro area. There's over 20 mil possible tv viewers for any Yankees game. Contrast that to Pittsburgh with a possible audience in the local metro of maybe 3 million. TV contracts and geography helped Steiny make his money.

Yes.. there are lots of stingy owners, but that's only part of the reason why the payrolls are so varied.

plankton

Cyburbian
Tigers, Cubs, and Mariners

Baseball is all outta whack. I agree with the previous post about revenue sharing. And, the Brewers need to get their trespassing a$$e$ back into the American League.

Now, let's go Pistons!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
Being born and raised near Pittsburgh, I've allways been a Pirates fan. This goes back to old Forbes Field and Roberto Clemente, Bill Mazeroski and Elroy Face. Recently though, the Pirates have functioned as either a farm team for the rest of pro baseball or a pre-retirement home for the aged.
But you have to admit that PNC Park has to be one of the best AAA ball fields in the US. ;-)

I was a born and raised Braves fan. I first cut my baseball teeth at AA Greenville Braves games and then graduated to making trips to Atlanta to see the real deal at the old Fulton County Stadium. In fact, one of my fondest birthday memories was seeing my name up on the jumbotron there on my thirteenth.

On a sad Braves related note... The AA-Braves are playing their last season in Greenville because they didn't get the shiny new downtown stadium they wanted and will be relocating to Pearle, Mississippi. :-( For their sake, Jestes and Dragon best not have had anything to do with that. ;-)