• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

What beers do planners drink?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Why was I so quiet before? Because any message I start here, I fear, will turn into a novel. Seriously. As a teenager in the early '80s, I was always the one who bought a six-pack of Beck's or Anchor Steam to the park, rather than the usual fake ID fare of Milwaukee's Best. My beer snobbery began early. Same thing with cigars, too ... Dad was a cigar salesman, and before cigars became trendy I'd suck down that St. Pauli Girl with a Macanudo. Good times. Good times.

In college, my friends frequently mulled among themselves "What the f*** kind of obscure stuff will Dan bring along to this party?" It could be a German rauchbier (mmmmmm!) or a Belgian lambic; it could be some available-north-of-the-border-only brew that I absconded from Fort Erie; it could be a case of Coqui 900 Malt Liquor in 40 ounce bottles.

Anyhow, now ... no, I'm not brand loyal with beer the way cigarette smokers are with their coffin sticks. Florida is something of a beer wasteland compared to Colorado, though, and I'm disappointed with what's found on store shelves here. Generally, the selection of European beers is marginally better than in Colorado, there's a huge selection of British and Irish brews, but few American micros on the shelves. When I find a Colorado beer on a Florida store shelf, it's mine!

Everyday beer ... if I had to pick one, probably Michelob Amber or Michelob Wheat. Good lawn-mowing beers. In Denver, it was Fat Tire.

Special occasion beer ... something I haven't had before, although there's few of those left. Probably a Belgian lambic or an obscure Eastern European pilsener.

One beer for the rest of my life ... Guinness. It's a meal in a can.

Tom R

Cyburbian
bud

I hope, attached in info about DuBois Bud.

Attachments

• budweiser beer is named after a czech town.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 32

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
peter lowitt said:
Magic Hat # 9

Magic Hat #9

I'm still looking....and enjoying the search!

i decided to try magic hat's humble patience in place of my usual killians...and it is quite interesting...i think i have a new contender for the fridge...

Good questions!

This soon to be planning STUDENT says:

1. What is your "everyday" beer ---FOSTERS OIL CAN

2. What is your "special occasion" beer ---GROLSCH

3. one kind of beer for the rest of my life it would be:
------FOSTERS OIL CAN, MATE

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Coors - original

2. Negro Modelo

3. Yuengling Lager

Actually, Keystone Beer is made by Coors so I guess it's actually brewed in Colorado.