• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What big private-sector firms are best on flex-time, remote work, etc.?

aicp_yawn

I have worked in public sector planning for a long time, and have grown very tired of the traditional workplace model (be in your office 8:00 to 5:00, no other options). I recently started applying for private-sector jobs, but was dismayed on my first interview with a large firm to hear that they don't have flex-time or telecommuting, and they expect you to be in your office for longer hours than any of the government jobs I've worked at.

Among the major private-sector firms that hire planners, are there any that offer good flex-time and remote work options?

Or should I just learn to code and take my "millennial" mindset over to the world of startups? :woozy:

Hink

OH....IO
Most of my friends who work in private sector planning either A.) Travel a ton, or B.) Work more hours than me.

I would imagine that once you become a section head or run your own studio, you have a lot more flexibility. Otherwise you are eating what you kill and are expected to get more work if you have down time.

Personally, I would want my planning team to be physically in my office. Remote work isn't really something that makes sense for most of what planners do. If you are talking about graphic design or other components than I can see that, but general planning requires people to actually be there.

Good luck though. Hopefully you find a place that meets your expectations. :up:

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'd suggest a few more interviews before punting on the private sector planning thing. The policy (formal or informal) on work flexibility will vary by firm, by office, and by team.