• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What can and cannot be done/constructed on land that is zoned for agriculture?

ElmoHongZito

I am trying to seek some guidance and as much information as possible regarding the ins and outs (what can and cannot be done/constructed) on land that is zoned for agricultural use and used as an event venue space (weddings, mitzvahs, and other large events). I see them on theknot.com and weddingwire.com and they appear to be legitimate functioning businesses on what I would consider very large parcels of land (5 Acres+).

I am doing my due diligence exploring this model as an option for an event space since brick and mortar commercial space with sufficient parking is scarce and extremely expensive for a new entrepreneur like myself in my neck of the woods (South Florida).

I would be very grateful for any and all input or references of how I can find out more useful, free, and reliable information without going crazy.

For reference, here are 2 examples of venues I found in my area (same owners).

https://www.uniquepalms.com/

https://www.thevintagevenue.com/

DVD

Cyburbian
Every place is different. When I worked in rural Kansas it was pretty much start the business if you have a barn. I'm sure Florida when have a few more regulations than Kansas. I would start by contacting the local county planner if the property is outside city limits. You want to find out if it's an allowed use in the zoning. In which case you basically get your permits and go. More likely it's a conditional use of some kind which means you need to do a public hearing, which is not a hard thing depending on the place. Also find out what kind of building codes you need to follow. This could kick in things like fire sprinklers, which will be pricey. Things to consider:

• Do you have enough parking, people can't just park in the street
  • Do you have sewer or septic capacity. Nothing worse than a septic tank overflowing during someones wedding (heard stories from the last guy I warned)
  • Water supply, electric, other utilities
  • Do you have enough bathrooms (don't be the guy that just lined up port-a-potties - another bad story)
  • How are the roads getting to the place? Dirt roads do not make the best venues
  • Are people next door going to be okay with the extra traffic?
  • How will you make sure the people coming and going don't do anything like throw trash on the roads, party and make noise driving down the road, pee on the neighbor's driveway (we shut someone down for the last one)

ElmoHongZito

Every place is different. When I worked in rural Kansas it was pretty much start the business if you have a barn. I'm sure Florida when have a few more regulations than Kansas. I would start by contacting the local county planner if the property is outside city limits. You want to find out if it's an allowed use in the zoning. In which case you basically get your permits and go. More likely it's a conditional use of some kind which means you need to do a public hearing, which is not a hard thing depending on the place. Also find out what kind of building codes you need to follow. This could kick in things like fire sprinklers, which will be pricey. Things to consider:

• Do you have enough parking, people can't just park in the street
  • Do you have sewer or septic capacity. Nothing worse than a septic tank overflowing during someones wedding (heard stories from the last guy I warned)
  • Water supply, electric, other utilities
  • Do you have enough bathrooms (don't be the guy that just lined up port-a-potties - another bad story)
  • How are the roads getting to the place? Dirt roads do not make the best venues
  • Are people next door going to be okay with the extra traffic?
  • How will you make sure the people coming and going don't do anything like throw trash on the roads, party and make noise driving down the road, pee on the neighbor's driveway (we shut someone down for the last one)

All great observations and things I would definitely take into consideration as I continue to do my due diligence. Right now I just would like to know what are the possibilities while not breaking any laws that could as you state "shut me down" because that would be devastating after putting all the time, effort and financial investment behind an expensive project like this.