• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What color are your soils?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am in the process of creating a soils map, and I can not find the standards for color distribution for mapping. Does anyone know if such standards are out there?

biscuit

Cyburbian
There are literally dozens of colors and keys depending on what kind of soil map you're wanting to make (type, composition, etc..). I would suggest contacting your local US Geological Survey (USGS) office to get their standards if the great throbbing Brain can't give you the info you're wanting.

kms

Cyburbian
And you can try NRCS (formerly Soil Conservation Service) to get their standards. Many districts are digitizing Soil Survey.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Oh, when I read the title I thought you meant the color of the dirt outside. BAD SUBJECT RIGHT NOW!

The dust storms in the southwest deposited a nice layer of red silt on all of our cars overnight. Not happy. Its been wet for two days, sothe crap is getting kicked up on roads, mess extraordinaire!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Soils are classified by Hues and gradations of that hue.

Refer to the Munsell soil color charts.

donk

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Oh, when I read the title I thought you meant the color of the dirt outside. BAD SUBJECT RIGHT NOW!

The dust storms in the southwest deposited a nice layer of red silt on all of our cars overnight. Not happy. Its been wet for two days, sothe crap is getting kicked up on roads, mess extraordinaire!

What is this soil you speak of? All I see is snow.

On topic, our soil maps are done with zip tones with better soils being denser patterns.