• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What countries have you visited?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
As inspired by the state thread, what countries have you visited?
Canadian visiting the US and Americans visiting Canada does not count.

Russia - before communism fell
Ukraine - before communism fell
Uzbekistan - before communism fell
Finland
England
Japan
Utah;) :b:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Canada (for a day, so that really doesn't count)
England
France
Switzerland
Italy
Austria
Germany
South Texas :)

There's a lot of places I want to see. In fact I'd spend the rest of my life travelling if I could. Maybe one day...

moose

Mexico
Germany (east and west)
Italy
Switzerland
Austria
Luxembourg
France (didn't leave the airport, though)

Next up is Ireland. Mr. Moose has never left the US, and Ireland is his pick. My next choice is India.

H

Cyburbian
Only 8 so far, but after x-mas I will be able to add quite a bit of the Caribbean. :)

I also completely intend to complete Latin America and Europe (especially Scandinavia where I have really good friends in Sweden)

But for now:

USA
Canada
Mexico
Peru
Bolivia
Ecuador
Germany
Austria

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Sigh ... just three.

United States (40 or 41 states, I think ... I'll be adding Iowa tomorrow.)
Canada (just Ontario)
Mexico (Acapulco and Cuidad Juarez)

I'd like to get to the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, South Africa and/or Cuba sometime in the next few years.

martini

Cyburbian
Germany
East Germany(before the wall fell)

dasit!

Places I'd like to go(in no particular order):
India
Ireland
Scotland
Finland
Sweden
Italy
Morocco
Chile
Argentina(gotta get rid of this vegetarian habit first though, I hear they're total carnivors there)
New Zealand
Australia
Nepal
Chechzlovakia (omg, sp!)
Kenya

I better start saving now if I wanna get anywhere....

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Sigh ... just three.

United States (40 or 41 states, I think ... I'll be adding Iowa tomorrow.)
Canada (just Ontario)
Mexico (Acapulco and Cuidad Juarez)

I'd like to get to the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, South Africa and/or Cuba sometime in the next few years.
Dan, what ya doin in Iowa? Just curious. Used to live in Des Moines.

de-bug

Netherlands
(West) Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Liechtenstein
France
England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Dominican Republic
Paraguay - summer exchange student
Argentina (just the border)
Mexico - year exchange student, plus many, many visits
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Italy - summer study
Greece - vacation after summer study!!
Spain - summer work
Kenya - winter study
Belize
Honduras
Guatemala

In the next couple of weeks I'll be adding Panama, Costa Rica and Jamaica.

Way up high on the next-to-visit list are Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and the rest of South America. Oh yeah, and French Polynesia!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Places I'd like to visit: (in no particular order)
-Germany
-USA (again, more throughly though)
-Canada (same reasons as USA)
-NZ
-Australia
-Japan
-India
-UK
-Italy

Places I'd never ever ever visit:
-Peru (They hate us so why bother?)
-Bolivia (They hate us even more...)
-Irak
-Israel
-Afghanistan
-North Korea
-China
-Colombia
-Venezuela
-Any african country (sorry africans)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Canada, Mexico, England. Pretty vanilla stuff.

I do want to get the the czech republics, visit the homeland so to speak.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Dan, what ya doin in Iowa? Just curious. Used to live in Des Moines.
[ot]Taking a different route from KC to Buffalo; I'm tired of the cross-Missouri I-70 drive. I have to go to the Cleveland area again for a second interview with an agency where I had an interview a few weeks ago.[/ot]

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
England
Belgium
Denmark
France
Italy
Switzerland
the Vatican
Germany (east and west, before the wall came down)
Bahamas
Cayman Islands
Mexico
Jamaica

Would like to see:
Eastern Europe
Egypt
Australia

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Guatemala
Mexico
Venezuela
Canada
England
Switzerland
Greece
Italy
Germany
Luxembourg
St. Martin (French and Dutch side)
British V.I.
Bahamas

With many more places to go.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
US and Canada (though they don't count)
Mexico
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq

My plane landed in Belgium and in Italy. I guess I can't really count them, though.

The Irish One

What is bringing you to Colombia?
A friend. She's real nice and we hit it off a while back, now she's returning to Bogota and I asked if I could tag along and she was really excited about that, so as soon as she tells me when, we're off. Though I wish she was from Medellin or Cali. That would be really exciting. Anyway I'm pumped.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I've did a study abroad in Spain and have traveled to Portugal, France, England, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Netherlands, Czech Republic, the Caribbean and India. But I've never been to Canada.... I guess it's not going anywhere, but I'd love to see the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver (for planning). Someday....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
damn that's ironic... being relatively close to Canada... and haven't been ther yet? I have gone to Toronto.. no, I don't remember much... I was like 7 so I just remember the CN tower and some weird museum in which every visitor got a personal stereo with some history tape or something (May or may not be in Toronto...). Besides that... nothing else... and that was back in 91-92.

bocian

Cyburbian
Poland, Russia (+ the Soviet Union), East Germany, West Germany, unified Germany, Denmark, Sweden, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Morocco, Italy, Austria, Czechoslovakia + Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenja, Serbia, Romania, Belgium, Switzerland, former Yugoslavia, Armenia, Greece, Hungary, Croatia, Belarous, Latvia, Estonia, Ukraine, + going to Argentina for the new year's.... Where I want to go: Bulgaria, China, Mexico, and so on...

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
Cardinal posted
You still don't need it, but the last time I crossed back into the US I was asked for one.
That is because you look Canadian. ;)

Places I've been

US
Belgium - school exchange 3 months
Holland - grocery shopping
Germany - site seeing
Luxumbourg - site seeing

tsc

Cyburbian
Greece
Italy
Switzerland
Austria
Germany
District of Columbia
Netherlands
Belgium
Scotland
England

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
England/Scotland/Wales - "The Homeland"
France (illegally!)
Belgium
Germany (West)
Luxembourg
USA - not supposed to count, I know.

Tom R

Cyburbian
travel

Let's see,

Philppines,
Viet Nam
Thailand,
Japan
Canada

That's it.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mexico
Iceland (though I didn't leave Reykjavik airport)
England
Belgium
West Germany
Denmark
North Dakota

otterpop

Cyburbian
The Irish One

Wow. That sounds cool. My wife is from Colombia. I spent several days in Bogota, and about a week in Pasto. You're in for a treat. A lovely country and wonderful people. I never saw so many beautiful women in all my life!

Warning: the taxicabs in Bogota have brakes, but the cabdrivers don't seem to use them. Riding in a taxi in Colombia beats any thrill ride in an amusement park.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Canada

Indiana

New York

(sorry Hoosiers and New Yorkers!)

donk

Cyburbian
Biscuit asked
Is that what they're calling coffee shop patronage these days?
Going to a different country for groceries struck me as odd, but due to the local economy and proximity to other countries it made sense. We'd go to holland for some types of groceries, mostly vegetables and cheese and go to Germany for meat.

My trip to amsterdam was un remarkble, except I was the only fluent english speaker. Try translating sales pitches for live sex shows to attractive teen girls, you like.

The Irish One

and about a week in Pasto
You dog! That's what I would like to do, hang out in Pasto/ Popoyan. In Bogota what were the things to do? I can tell you some things I'm thinking about

1 Colpatria
2 Montserate
3 Candaleria?? However you spell it?
4 Salt Cathedral
5 A couple of those street markets
6 Dancing/ zona rosa??
7 Looking at lots of women oh lord these Colombian women are an especially beatiful bunch!

8 and we'll be looking at the dark side as well.

Tom R

Cyburbian
countries

I forgot Aroostook County (Maine). Not a separate country, but they think they are.

otterpop

Cyburbian
The Irish One

I went to the Salt Cathedral. That was awesome. Also went to the Museo del Oro. That was incredible. The entrance is a bank vault door, with guards on either side. The pre-Columbian gold work is amazing. The artwork they created with primitive tools is astonishing. we checked out some of the street markets and a shppong mall that looked like one out of any American city, but had very interesting Colombian goods.

Pasto was wonderful. My wife (then fiancee) has sisters living there. Pasto has a wonderful town square and old-world architecture. At the time (1997) the rebels were not in the area, so I was able to move around with little concern of being kidnapped. There was an incredible national park nearby. We took a trip up into Toucan, Ecuador, which was incredible. I was amazed at having lunch in a Chinese restaurant, run by real Chinese up in the Andes! Went to a Feast of the Virgin party, where I danced with many pretty Colombian women and the men kept giving me the local drink, which was a licorice-flavored liquer that burned on the way down and sat heavily in my stomach.

I must say it was a hell of a good trip. As long as you have a good Colombiana to guide you, you can stay out of harm's way.

I have heard a good Spanish phrase to know translates to: "Don't shoot me. I'm Canadian."

Bangorian

Germany
Austria
Czech republic (Prague is awesome!)

Going to Portugal for 3 weeks on the 12th.
Has nobody on the boards been to fair Portugal?

Otis

Cyburbian
Canada
Mexico
Panama (lived there for 2 years)
Cuba (before communism went in)
Japan
Philippines
Viet Nam
Germany
USSR
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
violated Chinese territorial waters once - does that count?
Conch Republic

The Irish One

Forgot about the Museo de Oro. Did you go to Montserate?

a licorice-flavored liquer
aguardiente??

"Don't shoot me. I'm Canadian."
I've hears that too. Also , when in Colombia "No dar papaya".

I was amazed at having lunch in a Chinese restaurant, run by real Chinese up in the Andes!
Someone told me there is a considerable Chinese population in Colombia. I know the visa requirement are very special for Chinese nationals.

As long as you have a good Colombiana to guide you, you can stay out of harm's way.
I know, I've been wanting to go there since I took a geography class in 1998, my teacher got me so into this country. I figured out real quick that having a Colombiana/o friend would be the right way to do it -they're quite the hospitable bunch!
I'm very jealous of the whole Pasto trip! Have you seen this site?

http://www.villegaseditores.com/Home.asp

Do a seatrch for Villegas Editores and you can goto the homepage and choose English.

There are really nice books here (mucho dinero) but a great gift for the wife and something nice to put on the coffee table. Enjoy

H

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
Someone told me there is a considerable Chinese population in Colombia. I know the visa requirement are very special for Chinese nationals.
Peru as well. In Lima there are “Chifas” or Chinese restaurants everywhere. In fact, this Peru/Chinese fusion has become its own style of cuisine. In Miami there are a few restaurants where the sign advertises “Peruvian Style Chinese Food”. It ‘tis good, I will not lie. :-D

I was told (by some old Peruvians in Lima) that the Chinese and Asian people migrated to that region to help build the railroads. Maybe they are connected in ancestry with the Andean Chifa owners you visited to the north?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Huston said:
I was told (by some old Peruvians in Lima) that the Chinese and Asian people migrated to that region to help build the railroads. Maybe they are connected in ancestry with the Andean Chifa owners you visited to the north?
Chinese were being used as slaves (mabye not as slaves with deprived liberty, but worked way too much for little pay) in Peru.. (the ones living in lands that were peruvian but later became Chilean were sure happy...)
Oh I forgot to tell that (although unrelated to chinese) Peru used Easter Island as a leprary... until we came and took the Island (they gladly gave away that bulk of an island)... There are still a few leppers there...

I don't hate Peruvians... don't take it wrongly...

H

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Chinese were being used as slaves (mabye not as slaves with deprived liberty, but worked way too much for little pay) in Peru.. (the ones living in lands that were peruvian but later became Chilean were sure happy...)
Yes I know, I just was trying to say that in a nicer way.

Oh I forgot to tell that (although unrelated to chinese) Peru used Easter Island as a leprary... until we came and took the Island (they gladly gave away that bulk of an island)... There are still a few leppers there...
What is wrong with leper colonies of the past? The US did it too. It was the best way for the time. I have been to one in Louisiana! Carville, Louisiana, named after the infamous James Carville’s family.

nerudite

Cyburbian
In order visited (just so I can remember):
Canada (just had to add it anyway!)
Italy
The Vatican
Greece
England
Spain
Morocco
Portugal
Egypt