• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What do Cyburbanites collect redux?

What do you collect?

• Dude, collecting is for nerds.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Ass chewings at work.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • STD's.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Unemployment.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, specify.

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
For some reason the prior post did not come through. My wife hates my beer can collection (any old beer cans you want to get rid of, send my way, serious). So it made me wonder what do other Cyburbanites collect?

MOD - please delete the earlier post. Thanks.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Hair and underwear samples from every gi................Noooooo, I like to collect maps from different cities. I also like to collect beer bottles and grow flowers out of them. Currently got a beer collection going for my bar, but collecting and maintaining liquor is becoming a challenge unless I don't like to drink the liquor. I've got some beer cans laying around if you want them.:b:

H

Cyburbian
I don’t collect anything right now. I wish I could collect art and wine. I like these items, and have some, but the finances are a little tight right now for a “collection” worth a durn;)

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
Ive always grabbed rocks everywhere I go....I'm the reason they put those signs up that say "Enjoy your National Park, but please leave it here for others" :D

I also collect foriegn money...but the way I do this is a bit different. While I havent travelled anywhere but the UK, Mexico, and around the US, I know a few people who do, and I always have them bring me back a coin or two.

My biggest and most evolving collection, however is CDs. I love music and buy a new cd probably two or three times a month.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I have a wine collection in my basement---about 20 cases at this point. All domestic.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Maps
and
5 copies of each of the the State Quarters issued by the US Mint

Pretty Dull collections

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I have a collection of baseball caps. I also collect the state quarters issued by the U.S. Mint and a newspaper from any city that I visit.

Tom R

Cyburbian
$

Coins. It used to be a lot more fun when one could get neat coins in change.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Not counting CDs, other than some maps I really don't have a collection. Moving around so much in the past few years has prohibited me from getting any real collection started. However, I will admit to being a big geek and collecting boxes and boxes of comic books when I was younger. That's okay because I've accepted and come to terms with my inner geek.

As for future collections, I wouldn't mind getting a decent collection of art going. That is, if I can't make enough to start amassing Porsches. :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Records....lots and lots of records. Especially 60s rock, 80s new wave, and 80s and 90s punk.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
JoshD said:
A new nickle will be released soon!
Due to be released in 2004, the new nickel will feature the existing profile of Thomas Jefferson on the front side and on the back side, Monticello and a representation of the Louisiana Purchase.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I collect plants, NO not that type… (you wish). But I do have almost 20 plants now in my new apartment. Tonight I am getting a banana tree!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I used to collect the Dept. 56 North Pole Village houses and people. I still have it, but stopped acquiring any new ones when I ran out of room to display them all at Christmas.

Most of the books I've ever owned.

My son and I collect souvenir spoons when we travel. We started the collection with several spoons that a great-aunt had from her travels in the 50's and 60's.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
Due to be released in 2004, the new nickel will feature the existing profile of Thomas Jefferson on the front side and on the back side, Monticello and a representation of the Louisiana Purchase.
Actually, one will have the Louisana Purchase and the other will have Lewis and Clark. Monticello is already on the back of the nickel.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Tonight I am getting a banana tree!
Sounds like one for the ladies.

Coins, wine, books, and art. I just made my first foray onto ebay to purchase a Leon Pescherert etching.

BKM

Cyburbian
No drugs or (really very much) alcohol, just collections:

maps, architecture books, cds, pueblo pottery, talavera pottery, and glassware. I am pretty obsessive.

Rem

Cyburbian
Beer Can Collector Questions

When collecting beer cans, do you collect full ones or empty ones? Is there an agreed position among collectors on this?

If it's empties, are there any Australian cans you covet? PM me and I will see if I can track them down for you (it's the kind of research I would be prepared to give up some personal time for).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Mine are empty... but I think I'll fill them with sand or something, 'cause they tend to fall with the summer winds.
Australian beer? I just got a Foster's can...
US beer? Bud (quite obvious), Schlitz, Guiness, Stroh's
Canadian Beer, eh? Moosehead, Blue Star and Alpine.
Most are german or european...

Queen B: I have like 18 soda cans too. But my main collection is beer cans.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Re: Beer Can Collector Questions

Rem said:
When collecting beer cans, do you collect full ones or empty ones? Is there an agreed position among collectors on this?

If it's empties, are there any Australian cans you covet? PM me and I will see if I can track them down for you (it's the kind of research I would be prepared to give up some personal time for).
I have a a few, Tooths KB Lager, Fosters Lager, Broken Hill, and Carlton are some I can remember. I never actively pursued Australian cans. I have just come across them over time. As with all cans, I prefer steel cans. I do have some with the beer still in, however, I have also had some cause leaking and rusting of the seam over time. It's best just to empty (read: drink) the beer.

donk

Cyburbian
I know this topic has been done before, so here si my list again plus some mods.

Books, comics, cd's, cycling related pint glasses.

Just bought a complete set of "where the wild things are" figures off of ebay.

Just bought an original page of artwork from of the comic Hate.

I'd like to collect more comic book art, but the size of my hosue is not condusive to displaying it, plus the comics I like are not really public viewing friendly.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Oh and I collect fire marks too, forgot about that one. They are the metal insurance company tags that used to go on the front of your house. If you didn't have one, or if the company didn't pay the fire department, your house burned.

jmf

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Canadian Beer, eh? Moosehead, Blue Star and Alpine.
Blue Star - blech!!!!!!!!! fuzzy water from the rock shiver

I collect stamps, postal history and postcards. Also books - mostly local history and literature.

I am addicted to EBay - but I admit it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I still have and covet my coin collection. Though I have not been very active with it because it is at a point at which the coins I am missing are the expensive ones.

Also, had a largish (40-45) collection of 1/18 scale model cars, which I was pretty proud, but it was becoming a burden for storage and/or display, so I gave it all to my brother.

I am now trying to find a path for becoming a real estate collector. Big investment, but man would it be cool.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
1/48 scale die-cast double decker buses.

I have an 'N' gauge model railway, which I don't consider collecting as I actually get to play with the stuff I buy.

Scotch...but I find it's hard to keep the collection full.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Antique radios
Roman and Greek coins
repro old "aerial perspectives" from the towns we've lived in Like on mapandglobe.com
Old postcards from places we've lived
Old Roycraft Press books in crappy condition (I can't afford nice ones)
Glass dairy bottles
mid-20th century anything

H

Cyburbian
Semi OT

I seem to be collecting dust.

We cleaned the casa last night for our weekend company….DAMN there was a lot of dust!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I spend a lot of time trying to convince my wife that collecting knick-knacks is a waste of money and junks up our little house.

Man, I hope she isn't going to read that.

Tom R

Cyburbian
maps

JoshD said:
Maps

I have a set or repro maps showing the position of the forces during the three days of the battle of Gettysburg, originally from 1883, I think. I also have a wall size color map of the geology of the Grand Canyon from the 1970's. It's amazing to think of the hand work that went into it.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I collect plants, NO not that type… (you wish). But I do have almost 20 plants now in my new apartment. Tonight I am getting a banana tree!
I had a banana tree once. It was a very dissapointing experience. 5 years and I never got any bananas. Then I put the plant outside in the summer and it died.

martini

Cyburbian
Maps, topo maps mostly, but I've got 5' maps of Minn and Colorado that are pretty cool, and few historic maps. I'd like to get more of those.

Bikes. Got 14 so far. Nothing remarkable, but that'll change. I want to start getting vintage MTb's. I've got a line on a complete Campy Record OR grouppo that I hope to get myself for graduation. They are a pain to store though. I try to keep them all ridable too.

CD's. I just love music too much. Getting to store them is also becoming a pain.

Hotsauces. Not too many yet, but I love the stuff! My favorite so far is Melindas from Belize.

Magazines. I've got nearly all the issues of DirtRag and Bike(before they turned to shit).

donk, I just picked up a Yo! eddy glass and matching pticher yesterday. $3 for the glass and $12 for the pitcher. Sweet!. I guess you say I collect those too. I've got a whole bunch at home.

donk

Cyburbian
martini said:

Bikes. Got 14 so far. Nothing remarkable, but that'll change. I want to start getting vintage MTb's. I've got a line on a complete Campy Record OR grouppo that I hope to get myself for graduation. They are a pain to store though. I try to keep them all ridable too.

donk, I just picked up a Yo! eddy glass and matching pticher yesterday. $3 for the glass and $12 for the pitcher. Sweet!. I guess you say I collect those too. I've got a whole bunch at home.
(As in the FAQ always gets to bike stuff)

All things I'd like to collect, if I had the money or a location to even find them. Ebay is tempting me with a OR crank.

If you find another set of the yo eddy stuff, aquire and let me know. I always wanted a Wicked Fat Chance.

Also as part of my collection, pretty much every race tshirt I have ever gotten. (40-50) Plus manufacturers Tshirts.

martini

Cyburbian
I know he's got(or had as of yesterday) another Yo! glass and another Yo! pitcher. I'll be heading up there again this weekend and I can get them if you'd like.

Tom R

Cyburbian
hot

martini said:
Hotsauces. Not too many yet, but I love the stuff! My favorite so far is Melindas from Belize.

There is a guy in Rehoboth, Delaware that has THOUSANDS of them.

donk

Cyburbian
a quick photo at lunch of most of my bike related pint glass collection. also have microbreweries.

Maybe I should add this glass to my collection. ;)

Last edited: