• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What do you call....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In another thread, someone posted about the Jersey Shore. It got me thinking.... what do you call it when you are going to be next to a large body of water?

What are some other things that might have regionally accepted terms?

Bubba

Cyburbian
In another thread, someone posted about the Jersey Shore. It got me thinking.... what do you call it when you are going to be next to a large body of water?
Either going to the lake (if it's a lake) or going to the beach (ocean).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Going to the beach.

In my region, that means a Great Lake if it's coming from me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Seaside
oceanside
surfside
lakeside
riverside

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Here in the Finger Lakes region, it’s “lakefront”. As in “Holy shit! That two acre lakefront lot sold for nearly a million dollars!” Glacial lake = few beaches.

For Cayuga Lake, people live “west [side] of the lake” or “east [side] of the lake” (I’ve also heard people call it the “Cornell side”). For vineyards, it’s just “west side/shore” and “east side/shore”.

At the eastern end of Lake Erie, there’s the “Canadian side” or “Canadian shore” (beaches), and “American side” or “South shore” (rocks and bluffs).

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Going to the beach when I lived up North meant either a small local lakes or one of the Great Lakes. Here we go to the Coast.

Top Bottom