• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂
  • If you're returning to Cyburbia, your old password should still work with your username. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here. If your email changed, or you can't get into your account, follow these instructions.

What do you do over your lunch break?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
We have a one hour paid lunch here. I also work in a very rural county, so there are pretty limited things to do over lunch. I had been taking a book and going out to lunch, which was nice, but it's also kind of expensive to eat out every day. I've found if I don't go out, though, I will just sit at my desk and work through lunch. So, I just now signed up for the gym across the street from where I work and am planning to start going on my break. It's not the best gym and the equipment that I want to use (slam balls, kettle bells, etc.) are fairly limited. But it's a productive way to spend the time, and I think will help keep me motivated to stay active and keep the winter blues at bay.

Anyone else do this? Gotta good routine down that you do? I would love to walk over my break, too, but unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that would most likely need a shower if I do anything remotely strenuous. Even if I don't really need one, I feel disgusting afterwards. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes! Hopefully well since I had to sign a year-long contract! :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
There's no way one could realistically workout, shower, and be back to work bells on given the allotted 60 minute lunch break. Fortunately, I live 10 minutes from work and can use the 50 minutes to prepare and eat lunch and have a (precious) few minutes to catch up on reading or minor dinner prep.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I just sit at my desk and play on Cyburbia. Either that or play some games on the ipad. Some people just go out to their car to read.

kms

Cyburbian
I eat lunch.

If I’m in the field, I might have lunch in the car and listen to the radio. If I’m in the field and working with someone, we go to a restaurant.

Planit

Cyburbian
I try to walk around downtown at least 2 days a week. Otherwise drive & go meet a couple friends or run errands.

Mondays I have a basic routine where I meet a couple friends at a downtown place & we talk soccer (& people look at us funny).

Eat lunch...haha. I get an hour. I always go out, which is probably terrible for my health and my budget, but I gotta get out of the office. Depending on where I go, sometimes I’m done eating. I’m that case, I’ll either just relax in my car and listen to music or talk radio or I’ll just heard back to the office early and catch up on Facebook, email, paying bills, or whatever. Occasionally I’ll attend to personal errands or phone calls as well.

Bubba

Cyburbian
What do you do over your lunch break?
Soooo tempted to reply "hookers and blow", but I'll refrain from doing so. :a:

If I'm at the office, it's one of three things:

- Hit the salad bar at the cafe in The Building Next Door™ and eat at my desk;
- Lunch out with coworkers at one of the six options within a five minute walk of the office;
- Head farther south into the part of Midtown ATL with a better concentration of restaurants for a more leisurely lunch out with either my coworkers or a friend that works seven blocks south of me.

If I'm working from home, it's generally take the full hour to eat and do anything other than even think about work.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
It's a five minute round trip between my house and the office so I go home. I let the dogs out, eat some leftovers, and play a video game or watch an episode of whatever show I am binge-watching.

On paper, I get 30 minutes paid lunch, however my boss is chill in regards to my hours and I can get away with 45 minutes.

I'll usually Sit in my Volvo, pop my mid-day dose of Ativan (I am on 1.5 g, three times a day. It does WONDERS for my anxiety and doesn't get you lethargic in small doses like Xanax) and decompress. Sometimes music will be involved - maybe some crazy punk rock, some calming Philip Glass or a classic rock album like Let it Bleed depending on my mood.

Very rarely do I spend my lunch in the office, either at my desk or in our kitchen/break room. I need to get out and as far from my phone and email as I can.

I get 60 minutes and when the weather is nice in the spring and summer I go for a run. I can get about 6 miles in or drive over to the high school and use the track for a track workout and still be done in time to come back to the office and shower. When it's the very hottest part of summer I don't do that though since I cannot cool down in time, even with a cold shower.

If I'm not going for a run, there's a good chance I'll be going for a walk instead. I can do a few laps around our office complex (or if it's open walk to the custard stand) and listen to an audio book or podcast. Even if I bring my own lunch, I usually eat it very quickly and then go for a walk.

On days I don't go for a run or a walk I'll either go to one of a few restaurants or to my library or Starbucks and sit and read. Even though there are probably 250,000 people within a small radius and I'm in a pretty big metro area, unless I want fast food my options right nearby are very limited so when I do go out to eat I'll drive further than a lot of folks probably would for lunch but then eat really quick. I don't like to go to the places right by my office since I'm more likely to run into coworkers.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I get 60 minutes and when the weather is nice in the spring and summer I go for a run. I can get about 6 miles in or drive over to the high school and use the track for a track workout and still be done in time to come back to the office and shower. When it's the very hottest part of summer I don't do that though since I cannot cool down in time, even with a cold shower.
Having shower facilities at work would be really helpful. As far as I know we don't. Hence, having to join the gym. And also, you run much faster than I ever have based on this response. I can't run right now, but I'm hoping it'll be something I can pick up again in the spring, maybe. I'd be ecstatic to get four miles and a shower in!

dw914er

Cyburbian
It's a five minute round trip between my house and the office so I go home. I let the dogs out, eat some leftovers, and play a video game or watch an episode of whatever show I am binge-watching.
Same thing here minus the video games. It is nice to go home and relax for a few minutes.

Coragus

Cyburbian
I go home or go out, mostly depending the townhouse is empty at lunch or not. If I go out, I usually hit the local mall's food court.

On mondays usually I take a half hour and run to the grocery to buy lunch supplies for the week. The rest of the week I usually eat a sandwich at my desk and answer questions from newer planners. My boss lets me come in a bit late in exchange for generally being available during the lunch hours while no other senior level staff is usually there. I also usually take 10 minutes to walk my dog who I bring to work every day and leave in the back of my truck.