• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What do you do when a hurricane hits Canada?

SGB

Cyburbian
Hang tight there, Nova Scotians.

And check in as soon as you can to share some tales! ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
My apologies Donk...

...the stupid metereologists named that hurricane after me... I hope you don't take it personally... :p

PS: I doubt this is considered TMI because my name is quite friggin common (like the English homologue John, though even more common) here...

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Canadian hurricane party!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

You know that's gotta be rowdy! (Don't worry canucks, that's a compliment)

Seriously, good luck riding out the storm and stay safe!

donk

Cyburbian
We did not get it too bad, just a bit of wind and rain. JMF on the other hand is probably not at work today because they have declared a state of emergency for most of NS.

In Halifax, they had people lining up on the Wharf to watch the waves come in, guess that maritime tradion did not sink in - you run and hide from big storms. Some waves where in excess of 9 metres. Cleaning the raw sewage and garbage from the streets downtown will be gross.

So far 2 deaths and 500 000 without power.

Here is a link to the CBC's coverage

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/29/juan030929

Last edited:

jmf

Cyburbian
I am at work, my area got some wind and rain last night but not like Halifax. I have spoken to a couple of people in Halifax and I think it will be a while before things are cleaned-up. One person lost all of the big trees in their backyard. My parents lost a huge tree but luckily no damage to the house, I will probably go help them clean up.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Good to hear you made it through OK. Keep us updated on the damage and conditions there in NS.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
jmf - you're alive! Yay!

Glad to hear you made it through okay. Sounds like the city is in a bit of a mess. Any idea what the impact on Garrison production will be? ;)

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner asked
Any idea what the impact on Garrison production will be?
Don't worry, you'll get some next week. ;)

The good news would be that fire wood prices in the city should be reasonable this winter.

jmf

Cyburbian

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I thought it automatically turned into snow and became a blizzard. My guess is the canadians just grab a few cases of canadian beer and wait it out.

jmf

Cyburbian
I took the day off work yesterday to help my parents clean up a bit in Halifax. The city will look entirely diiferent after all of this. Halifax was always known for its treed streets and many of those trees are now down. Many areas of the city still do not have power, if fact my parents haven't even seen a power truck, for them the good news is that the connection to the house was not ripped out, many of their neighbours will have to get an electrician in before they can get power back.

Point Pleasant park, (website ) a huge wooded park on the peninsula was devasted, I will see if I can find any pictures of it.

Here is a before picture:

A friend sent me this link this morning, some great pics of some streets in the city.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I found this article worth reading:

'Heartbreaking' Thursday, October 2, 2003
By Richard Dooley

HALIFAX – What was the jewel of Halifax’s parks is now a twisted tangle of uprooted and broken trees.
In fact, Point Pleasant Park more resembles a clearcut than a beautiful urban forest.

more at
http://www.hfxnews.com/

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
My mother lives about an hour from Halifax, and they got tree branches knocked down all over town. Very sad to see what happened to Point Pleasant Park

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Wow.. that's a lot of lumber wood now... though in natural conditions with our Valdivian rainforest... trees degrade in about 5 years...and fern appears within the year. I hope the park gets restored... naturally or artificially (human intervened)