• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

what does an urban designer do?

plantastic

I am going to attend a masters program in the fall for City and Regional Planning. One of the options of the program is to attain a certificate in Urban Design. I am attracted to the design side of planning more than the policy side, though I feel that both are important. What kind of work can I expect to find if I specialize in urban design? Will I actually be able to be involved in design coming from a planning program versus and architecture background? I do not have an architecture background, but I am currently involved in the design field as a web and graphic designer.

Thank you for any insight!

--doug

Rem

Cyburbian
This question gets asked every now and then on Cyburbia. Here is a link to the last time it was asked. In my post on that thread there is a further link to the responses from the thread asking the same question the time before that.