• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

What exactly is urban design?

kellyleigh21

Hi. I was just looking for a more concrete explanation of urban design. I have a basic idea but I'm not really sure. Maybe somebody in urban design could help?

metroplanner

Urban design is not a profession or a pursuit, that in my opinion, can be defined in any one simple way. If you are looking for a more concrete answer, my UD prof always used to say that Urban Design is What Urban Designers do. It just can't be simplified to say that it is a little larger scale than Architecture and a little smaller than planning, it is more than that. Designeres find themselves working on one small site one week, and on a streetscape the next. I have worked on busstops and lots of other stuff, too. The question is really loaded, it is maybe a bit too romantic for me to say, but exactly what an Urban Designer is, you almost have to define it yourself. It is about formulation of a community, an aesthetic, a function, and a place. As far as a concrete job, you'd probably end up as a psuedo planner in a consulting firm or an architecture firm. Read books like "Common Place" and "Downtown Urban Design" they are helpful.