• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 What HAVE I done?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings, everyone.

I am not much of a "joiner", but I have been reading the posts since I recently discovered cyburbia and believe (naively, perhaps?) that this site may be useful. Certainly, I already know it to be fun having browsed the posts.

I am Chief Planner in a small riverside city of about 40,000 in the midwest. I have been here for 15 years. We are a very small staff and very much generalists, from current to future planning and a host of other tasks.

I should point out that I am the low man on the totem pole and have been all 15 years I've been here. (Thought: if there are no indians how can there be a chief?)

I am alternatively frustrated and satisfied with my career choice and adopted city. I expect that those of you who are in the profession already know what I mean. The rest of you can probably relate.

May this be the start of something ....

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome home!

Pull up a chair, grab a beverage of choice, and enjoy the conversations.

[OT: Would the midwest recruitment team please take a break? ;) ]

Welcome! Daddy was a Hoosier (from Indiana -- Terre Haute or thereabouts). So we are practically related by virtue of your adoption of a city in a state where a relative of mine grew up! (Don't mind me -- everyone knows I am an overmedicated insomniac trying to entertain myself until the Grim Reaper comes to take me away from it all.)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Wow... fifteen years and still the newbie. That's gotta be rough. Welcome, newbie. ;)

H

Cyburbian
welcome

what to the put in the water in the mid-west to breed so many planners? :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Its the beer, makes you think you can do anything :)
So that's it. You mid-westerners didn't become planners because you're well educated or particularly civic minded, you're just all drunk. That's good enough for me.

Welcome!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
greetings from down stream, same state.
I am almost in same situation outsider, generalist, only 10 yrs.
welcome to the association for planners angst.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Greetings from the middle of Indiana, crossroads of America. The beer helps, but it's really all those wide-open cornfields. We look at those and think, wow, there really should be a subdivision there....and maybe a supercenter of some kind....it's inspiring, you know?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome. Post early and often.

Cardinal - add another dot to the map

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome to our cyber nut ward. We vent here a good bit and offer many shoulders to lean on.

We look forward to your posts.

moose

welcome from Oregon (am I the only Oregonian on Cyburbia, or even the only west coaster?)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
I didn't say that at all :) If it can be contemplated, it can be completed :)
But how do you know if it can be completed if you don't try to complete it, which would indicate that we do not complete everything.

Ok... I just got way to Philosophical 20 min before a 10 hour drive. *that should happen some around Ohio.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I am not much of a "joiner" ...
May this be the start of something ....
That Gedunker is such a joiner! I just can't make it to all his crime watch and gardening club meetings.

Welcome.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hi Moose nope there are a good number of west coast and OR posters here

post your intro so folks know your new

welcome!

PG

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome from New Zealand, home of the Kiwi bird and Kiwifruit (before those no-good Chileans nicked some vines from us, eh SkeL?)