• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What if Grey Resigns?

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Messages
1,046
Points
24
This hit me while driving coming back from a meeting at the County: What if next month, Grey Davis sees the writing on the wall, and instead of allowing a chance for the republicans to win the statehouse, resigns? Does that squash the recall election? Would the Lt. Gov--Bustamonte (sp) just step in and finish the term?

Anybody know?
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Points
34
interesting question. Here's my guess:

'Spumante would step up for the remainder, but I assume the recall still goes on. a 'no' vote would keep the lt. gov in to fill the unexpired term.
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,991
Points
30
Answer 1. 49 states won't give a shit?
Answer 2. Taco Bell has a surplus of Chicken Soft Tacos?
Answer 3. Another Democrat Gov busts another budget?
Answer 4. The new Hindistani Ambasadors go on sale?
Answer 5. FoxNews has to find real news until the next white girl has something bad happen to her?

I give. How will anything change that affects anything qnyone cares about.?
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
24
Nope, the moment the recall signatures were in and validated.
The vote was in.

No matter what happens whith Grey.

Sorry man, but those who vote NO on the recall, are not allowed the secondary vote of who to vote fore.

If you vote YES on the recall, then you will have a secondary choice of who you want to replace him.

60% of CA's favor the recount. The Dems only choice is to chuck Grey and vote for Bustemonte.

Replacement is decided by a simple plurality of votes (who got the largest percentage) not a majority.
 

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Messages
3,171
Points
28
el Guapo said:
Answer 1. 49 states won't give a shit?
Exactly!

The media's obsession with the Cali Guv issue doesn't make any sense to me (I know, putting Arnold on the screen gets people to watch which gets advertisers to pay). I live in Michigan. Why should I care about who the next Cali Guv is. It's not like I can vote for any of the candidates.
 

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Messages
3,838
Points
25
Alan said:
Exactly!

The media's obsession with the Cali Guv issue doesn't make any sense to me (I know, putting Arnold on the screen gets people to watch which gets advertisers to pay). I live in Michigan. Why should I care about who the next Cali Guv is. It's not like I can vote for any of the candidates.
When Entertainment Tonight is reporting on a governers' race something is very wrong. Most people now know more about CA state politics then their own state.
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,464
Points
29
Hey, we rock. What can I say. You are all just jealous of our crazy politics, our crazy politicians, and our crazy budget deficits.

Just remember, if the crazies didn't have California to wash up onto, THEY would be living and politcking in YOUR states (and provinces).
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Points
34
Gotta say it -

They dont call it the land of "fruits" and "nuts" for nothing!
 

Tom R

Cyburbian
Messages
2,274
Points
25
Hey!

BKM said:
Hey, we rock. What can I say. You are all just jealous of our crazy politics, our crazy politicians, and our crazy budget deficits.

Just remember, if the crazies didn't have California to wash up onto, THEY would be living and politcking in YOUR states (and provinces).
Hey, we got Trafficante, Springer and had Flint. Not all jerky polititians are in Cal!
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Re: Hey!

Tom R said:
Hey, we got Trafficante, Springer and had Flint. Not all jerky polititians are in Cal!
Kind of OT:
Read in the paper last week that South Carolina has a 30 year-old gay, pro union, anti government, Democratic Senatorial Candidate who is also head of Jim Trafficantes presidental exploratory committee.

That should go well
 

Wulf9

Member
Messages
923
Points
22
For those in the other 49.

Gray is getting lots of press because the press always gives wall to wall coverage of Republican attempts to impeach, recall, or otherwise diminish Democrat politicians. It may have to do with concentration of media ownership and political leanings of that ownership.

The other 49 should be concerned about what happens in CA. GWB made the mistake of thinking California is not connected to the rest of the U.S. and allowed his energy buddies to tank the CA economy. He forgot that California is a huge consumer state and also a source of much innovation. Taking down California at the start of a recession was a guarantee that the recession would be longer and deeper. Not good national policy, even though he probably felt good at the time.
 

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Messages
13,853
Points
39
el Guapo said:
Answer 1. 49 states won't give a shit?
Politicians in Florida give a shit! The papers here have been quoting them hoping and praying that the CA fiasco will make everyone forget what happened here in the 2000 elections...
 

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Messages
1,046
Points
24
So Wulf your position is that Grey Davis has nothing to do with Calis problems and its all George Bushes fault?

Tell me again what W did to destroy Cali?
 

El Feo

Cyburbian
Messages
674
Points
19
gkmo62u said:
So Wulf your position is that Grey Davis has nothing to do with Calis problems and its all George Bushes fault?

Tell me again what W did to destroy Cali?
Well, I think I might know where Wulf's coming from. Let me try my hand at explaining for you:

You see, the Zombie Halliburton Army met secretly at the home of Richard Mellon Scaife. There, on a conference call with Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and other of Bush's puppet masters, along with assorted charter members of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (including, no doubt, Rush Limbaugh), they plotted to force the Cali dem legislature, through subliminal advertising, to pass the world's shittiest energy deregulation law.

Then, a similiar subliminal ad campaign, combined with a mind-control water-fluoridation program, forced the Gov and compatriots to jack up spending on such necessaries as social services and welfare for illegals, self-esteem programs for pre-kindergartners, and free ice cream and pony rides for state union members in perpetuity.

Constrained by the effects of these developments, which as I've demonstrated were all caused by the right-wing cabal "led" by their "unelected" "puppet leader " "George" "Dubya" "Bush" (if that's even REALLY his name), and hit with an economy in decline since March of 2000 (a recession begun during the Clinton administration by Republican business leaders in an effort to make him look bad), the Cali state budget ended up in the crapper.

So, as you can see, it is indeed the fault of Bush and all his energy buddies.
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,991
Points
30
El Feo said:
Well, I think I might know where Wulf's coming from. Let me try my hand at explaining for you:

You see, the Zombie Halliburton Army met secretly at the home of Richard Mellon Scaife. There, on a conference call with Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and other of Bush's puppet masters, along with assorted charter members of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (including, no doubt, Rush Limbaugh), they plotted to force the Cali dem legislature, through subliminal advertising, to pass the world's shittiest energy deregulation law.

Then, a similiar subliminal ad campaign, combined with a mind-control water-fluoridation program, forced the Gov and compatriots to jack up spending on such necessaries as social services and welfare for illegals, self-esteem programs for pre-kindergartners, and free ice cream and pony rides for state union members in perpetuity.

Constrained by the effects of these developments, which as I've demonstrated were all caused by the right-wing cabal "led" by their "unelected" "puppet leader " "George" "Dubya" "Bush" (if that's even REALLY his name), and hit with an economy in decline since March of 2000 (a recession begun during the Clinton administration by Republican business leaders in an effort to make him look bad), the Cali state budget ended up in the crapper.

So, as you can see, it is indeed the fault of Bush and all his energy buddies.
Plagiarism!
You took this verbatim from the Village Voice, CNN, the last DNC newsletter and the Dean campaign! But you forgot to call him Shrub and claim that we prompted the Saudis to start the 9-11 attacks which any right-minded New Jersey Poet Lauriat knows the Jews knew about in advance.

Yet, they claim the right is where all the conspiracy nuts hang out.

Well done. :)
 

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Messages
3,171
Points
28
Wulf9 said:
The other 49 should be concerned about what happens in CA.
Nevertheless, I still cannot vote in that election because I live in Michigan. Therefore, I do not care who wins the election.
 

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Messages
1,551
Points
24
Alan said:
Exactly!

The media's obsession with the Cali Guv issue doesn't make any sense to me (I know, putting Arnold on the screen gets people to watch which gets advertisers to pay). I live in Michigan. Why should I care about who the next Cali Guv is. It's not like I can vote for any of the candidates.
1) Because it's the process here that makes it different. How often has a recall vote for any governor anywhere happened?

2) Because it can happen in any state, from Maine to Hawaii. There are thousands of sore losers (from BOTH major parties) in all 50 states who are now thinking that a challenge can be mounted because they don't like the result.

Broaden your horizons. This has national implications.
 

Tom R

Cyburbian
Messages
2,274
Points
25
recall

pete-rock said:
1) Because it's the process here that makes it different. How often has a recall vote for any governor anywhere happened?

2) Because it can happen in any state, from Maine to Hawaii. There are thousands of sore losers (from BOTH major parties) in all 50 states who are now thinking that a challenge can be mounted because they don't like the result.

Broaden your horizons. This has national implications.
I don't think all states have recall provisions in their constitutions. I know Ohio doesn't. Impeachment, maybe, recall no.
 

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,907
Points
39
Re: recall

Tom R said:
I don't think all states have recall provisions in their constitutions. I know Ohio doesn't. Impeachment, maybe, recall no.
Same here. No recall provisions in our constitution, so I'm back to not caring about CA's election. :)
 

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Messages
1,551
Points
24
I know all states don't have recall statutes. MY state of Illinois has no recall statute. But that has nothing to do with the fact that more states MIGHT push for recall statutes if Cali's proves to be successful.

Look, I'm not waiting with baited breath to find out what's the latest news on the recall race every night. Californians can choose whomever they want to run the state. FWIW, Gray Davis seems as bland as his first name. But it's shortsighted to think that a fiscal and political crisis in the nation's largest state doesn't warrant any national interest.

Face it -- many movements have started in Cali and moved eastward. Prop 13 was a revolt against property taxes in Orange County that spurred greater tax activism nationwide, and played a role in getting Ronald Reagan elected. Ward Connerly's fight against affirmative action in the UC system a few years ago ultimately had ramifications in Texas, Michigan, and other states. The same could be said about environmental activism and energy deregulation.

Again, broaden your horizons. I thought that as planners, the "big picture" was a little easier for us to see. Maybe not.
 

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Messages
3,171
Points
28
pete-rock said:
Broaden your horizons.
Tell that to the media outlets.

Nevertheless, I still can't vote in California, so why should I care?

Anyway, your condescending attitute sucks, man.
 

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Messages
3,171
Points
28
pete-rock said:
I thought that as planners, the "big picture" was a little easier for us to see. Maybe not.
Duh. But voting is a personal act, not so much a professional act. On a professional level, sure, I can care about the Cali Guv race, but personally, I can't vote in California, so why should I care? I just don't.
 

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Messages
1,551
Points
24
Alan said:
Duh. But voting is a personal act, not so much a professional act. On a professional level, sure, I can care about the Cali Guv race, but personally, I can't vote in California, so why should I care? I just don't.
Trust me, I have no vested interest in who wins the gov race in Cali. I've never even been to Cali in my life. I don't care about Ahhnold's position on reducing the state deficit. Nor do I have an urge to support entertainers for government. If Golden Staters choose Gary Coleman or Mary Carey, FINE. And some 8-10 million voters will make that personal choice for governor on October 7 with zero input from me. Then the process would've played itself out the way it was supposed to in Cali.

But it is the PROCESS that has national implications. Since 1998, both parties (GOP and Dem) and both sides (left and right) feel that an activist movement can be started to oust an elected official from office. There's someone in Michigan who dislikes Gov. Granholm enough to start a recall movement in Lansing. There are people in Alabama who are fed up enough with Alabama's Chief Justice and his support of the Ten Commandments monument to try to find some way to oust him. And there's someone who thinks that everything that is wrong about ABC Town is embodied in the mayor, and that person has to go.

California is just the first place where this has happened on the state level -- this process will continue to move across the country, and at all levels of government.

That's what's important about the California recall.
 

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Messages
4,853
Points
26
believe it or not... even here we get quite a coverage of the ahhnold governator thing... what gives... I couldn't care less....
I bet you don't hear any news about the mayor that bought clothes with city money! (yes it did happen here... and he did get kicked out for doing it..)
 

El Feo

Cyburbian
Messages
674
Points
19
P-R, I have to honestly say that is an interesting take - I had not considerd the recall from a process standpoint at all. Now that I think about, though, to me "regular" initiatives are a little different than a recall, and while I find your argument about process pretty compelling re: initiatives (like Props 187, 13, etc.), I'm not sure I agree at all when it comes to recalls of politicans.

As I understand it, the Cali initiative process was created in the early 1900s as a part of the populist movement, and the recall portion in particular was viewed as a means of ensuring state government could be purged of corruption. Recalls have been initiatied 32 times in the past 93 years, but Davis' is the first to actually make it to the ballot - so it's certainly not been abused by Californians by that standard. So in my mind, this really has been a case where a politician was viewed by the populace as incompetent enough to at least consider removing well in advance of the next regular election. We'll see whether or not the majority thinks he's a big enough disaster to actually throw out, though right now polls would seem to indicate a hell of a lot of folks that voted for Gray Davis wish they'd done otherwise right now.

I think the CA situation is interesting, in part because I'm a politial junkie. Besides that, though, it will impact the rest of the nation, whether we'd like it to or not. A couple of examples - Cali is the world's 5th or 7th (depending on your source) largest economy, and a default there could have tremendous economic implications for the rest of us. Also, in the upcoming presidential election, a Repub governor could greatly help Bush's reelection. A Dem gov could likewise ensure his hopes were dead there.

While I have no direct personal stake in how things go there, I certainly can't say that I have no personal stake and that I don't care, and I don't understand folks who can't. I don't mean that to be condescending - just the way I see it.
 

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Messages
1,551
Points
24
El Feo said:
P-R, I have to honestly say that is an interesting take - I had not considerd the recall from a process standpoint at all. Now that I think about, though, to me "regular" initiatives are a little different than a recall, and while I find your argument about process pretty compelling re: initiatives (like Props 187, 13, etc.), I'm not sure I agree at all when it comes to recalls of politicans.

As I understand it, the Cali initiative process was created in the early 1900s as a part of the populist movement, and the recall portion in particular was viewed as a means of ensuring state government could be purged of corruption. Recalls have been initiatied 32 times in the past 93 years, but Davis' is the first to actually make it to the ballot - so it's certainly not been abused by Californians by that standard.

While I have no direct personal stake in how things go there, I certainly can't say that I have no personal stake and that I don't care, and I don't understand folks who can't. I don't mean that to be condescending - just the way I see it.
I mostly agree with you here.

Simply put, most of the states with recall and referendum statutes are in the West. They have been put to use sparingly in the West. But political events of the past few years have given rise to political interests (on both sides) who have looked to "right a wrong" through similar processes. My only point is that Cali is important because other states may start to pursue similar statutes for similar purposes.

I won't even go into my opinion on the worthiness of recalls. I've had enough firestorms for the day.
 

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Messages
3,171
Points
28
pete-rock said:
That's what's important about the California recall.
You are right. I guess my frustation is about all the bunk I see in the news about Arnold, Gary, Larry, and Mary. I guess the news focuses on the sensationalist aspects of the recall, not the broader national implications.
 

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Messages
1,551
Points
24
Alan said:
You are right. I guess my frustation is about all the bunk I see in the news about Arnold, Gary, Larry, and Mary. I guess the news focuses on the sensationalist aspects of the recall, not the broader national implications.
Agreed. The media fascination with all those in the race for publicity sake is grates my nerves. I gloss over that.

OK. Maybe I got a little too serious. This is the FAC.

My bad.
 

dms

Messages
14
Points
1
Ummmmm...... Interesting. Would the LT GOV take over for the rest of the term ????

I wonder if that option has really been discussed ? Or does Grey really want to stay in the hot seat that much that he will risk having Arnold moving into one of his movie roles for real... Conan does get his own throne !!!!
 
Top