• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

What Is a Yuppie?

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
I found this post on an entirely different website that has nothing to do with plannning, and because I think it is a brilliant comment, I am throwing it at you to see what you think.

Does the poster make sense, or is the comment inaccurate?

"Yuppies don't exist. Never did. "Young urban professionals" rarely, if ever, fit the definition that most folks consider representative of yuppiedom--Volvo/SUV ownership, nouveau riche bourgeois snobbisme, Reaganites as they never were. Most young urban professionals live in shitty neighborhoods in small apartments, earning ridiculously low wages working incredibly long hours at jobs that are supposed to be prestigious but aren't.

Squatters and poor people (you have to make a distinction between the voluntarily and involuntarily poor) in New York's East Village used to call the people moving into their neighborhood in the '80s "yuppies", but that was a fraud. These weren't yuppies, they were simply new residents of Manhattan, young people who couldn't afford "better" neighborhoods and/or preferred to live in cooler places. Most paid most of their incomes in rent; real rich people would never have wanted to live there. Truth be told, they were just as poor as the locals when it came to disposable income.

Bourgeois suburbanites is a more apt epithet than yuppie, but you need an acronymic--bosubs, anyone? SOBs?
"

BKM

Cyburbian
BOBOs in Paradise

Interesting little screed.

There is/was a time when there seemed to be too much chatting on cell phones, too many people waiting in line for the latest "in" restaurant or club, etc. But hey, every boom period has its excesses.

There is a bit of jealousy involved here, perhaps. That, and misunderstanding (like the writer made clear).

For a while during the "dark days" of San Francisco's boom, there was a self-styled anarchist group called the Mission Yuppie Eradication Project." It advocated keying SUVs, graffiting new restaurants, etc. It was headed by an individual of a type you would expect: an amazingly self-righteous "artist" who had never held a real job, a self-styled "anarchist"

O/T

My favorite book title of recent years: BOBOS in Paradise (About the "bourgeoise bohemian" class.)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Re: BOBOs in Paradise

BKM said:
There is a bit of jealousy involved here, perhaps.
I don't think so. The poster has lived in both San Fran and NYC. One can easily make insightful comments without letting a supposed personal "class envy" bias decronstruct the intended meaning.

Answer the question: What is a yuppie?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When I was living in Denver at the peak of that city's affluenzia, there was a distinct difference between the young professional urban upper middle class, and the young professional suburban upper middle class.

A young suburban couple with lots of disposable income throws it in a somewhat different direction than those living in the inner city. Let's picture a happily married couple, both lawyers or working for Janus Funds or something like that, living in Highlands Ranch. What are their spending and personal habits like?

House: 4,000 square foot tract mansion on a cul-de-sac. Three bedrooms, five full bathrooms, his-and-hers walk-in closets, vaulted ceilings and Palladian windows.
Furniture: Thomasville, Ethan Allen.
Vacation: skiing, Las Vegas, Mexico, Caribbean.
Toys: "smart house" with expensive home theater system.
Dining: higher-end chains (Macaroni Grill, etc.).
Vehicle: large American SUV.
Music: classic rock.
Clothes: higher-end mall stores.

Let's have a look at the yuppies in the city limits ... a happily married couple, both working in marketing at some company whose name ends in "ient," which "offers robust- scalable, mission critical end-to-end e-business solutions for Global 1000 customers."

House: 1,500 square foot loft in LoDo or an Arts and Crafts-style bungalow in a one-time middle class neighborhood. Original woodwork wuth built-ins, two bedrooms, one bathroom, tiny closets and $3,000 armoires.
Furniture: Restoration Hardware, Quatrine.
Vacation: Provence, Tuscany, Patagonia, Napa County, South Africa Wine Route.
Toys: Viking oven, Sub-Zero refrigerator, Miele dishwasher.
Dining: Very trendy urban resturants with well-known chefs and servers. Really cares about who happens to be working in the kitchen, as reported in Thursday freesheet restaurant reviews.
Vehicle: luxury Japanese or German SUV.
Music: smooth jazz or AAA (adult album alternative, i.e. acoustic, folk and jam rock).
Clothes: REI, EMS, Patagonia.

What about "old money?"

House: 5,000 square foot Tudor in a neighborhood that was always exclusive. Six bedrooms, two small full baths, one tiny half bath in the basement, and a den paeled in virgin Brazilian mahogany.
Furniture: custom made.
Vacation: European cultural centers, Cape Cod.
Toys: vintage McIntosh stereo equipment (with the warm, natural sound of tubes), huge library, mounted heads of endangered species.
Dining: old-guard gourmet restaurants and steakhouses
Vehicle: Large, late-model Mercedes.
Music: classical, performed by the Cleveland Symphony or the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
Clothes: purchased in the UK, or in some small men's shop that has been around since the 1920s.

Likewise, not all young urban professionals were "yuppies." Me, for instance ... I was young, a working professional, and I lived in a gentrifying city neighborhood, but I didn't participate much in Denver's yuppie culture. I ate at Denny's, hung out in my neighborhood's coffeehouses and pseudo-Irish bars, and drove down to New Mexico for vacation.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Re: BOBOs in Paradise

Beaner said:
Darn, I don't know any Yuppies. I do know a nouveau intellectual narcissistic bourgeois board troll though. That would be someone who in all seriousness would construct the following sentence: "One can easily make insightful comments without letting a supposed personal "class envy" bias decronstruct (sic) the intended meaning."

Breathe deeply Beaner - it is all going to be OK. ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian

Beaner said:

meaning.

Anyone who drives a 4 X 4 made by a luxury car builder, such as Mercedes, Cadillac, Lexus, etc. :)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Re: Re: Re: BOBOs in Paradise

El Guapo said:

Darn, I don't know any Yuppies. I do know a nouveau intellectual narcissistic bourgeois board troll though. That would be someone who in all seriousness would construct the following sentence: "One can easily make insightful comments without letting a supposed personal "class envy" bias decronstruct (sic) the intended meaning."

Breathe deeply Beaner - it is all going to be OK. ;)
Wow El Guapo, some days you are just golden, and others, like now, you are a just a turd.

Like Dan would say, Administrator's note - please remember that if you're criticizing an idea, make sure your comments don't include ad hominem attacks of a Cyburbia user. What the heck is this crappola - "I do know a nouveau intellectual narcissistic bourgeois board troll though"?

Perhaps you're saying that a little tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think I'm a troll. I may play little pranks with some of my posts, but when I do post a thread, it is with sincere earnestness. The irony here is that while I do play some pranks, you know, light hearted jokes to have fun, El Guapo never suggests that I take a deep breath during these instances. But when I do post a serious thread, he gets all huffy and suggests that I take a deep breath. Maybe you need to take a deep breath, pardner.

Just curious- which is it El Guapo? Should I stop being serious? Should I stop with the silly little jokes? I like doing both, so I don't know what to do.

Sorry that I don't fit into your little Cyburbia Clique. If an actual reasoned dicussion is what I'm looking for, then I should probably take my question elsewhere.

And of course, I realize I'm getting all uptight now.

***sigh***

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this in Friday Afternoon Club. My mistake. Where is the love?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Well there is the classic yuppies the folks now in their mid to late 40's up into their late 50s with more money than god, yound silicone wives, sports cars and temper tantrums. there are PLENTY of them here in DC

then you have the folks in their late 20s early 30s acting like the older crowd living in over priced holes just so they can say they live here or there or are within walking distance of the hot areas. i call them yuppies in training

Ok, Both El Guapo and Beaner get five minutes in the Time Out Chair, followed by a nap and then milk and cookies. Everyone play nice and remember we're all brothers and sisters in Planning. hee.

Anyway, to answer the original question - what is a Yuppie?

I didn't know yuppies even existed anymore. My vision of a yuppie is a 1980's era young professional, with the giant cell phone, too expensive car, sports coat with the sleeves pushed up and RayBan sunglasses a la Tom Cruise in Risky Business. A good example is Glen Goolia .

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: BOBOs in Paradise

Mike DeVuono said:

Anyone who drives a 4 X 4 made by a luxury car builder, such as Mercedes, Cadillac, Lexus, etc. :)
Oh yay, Im a Yuppie then.

el Guapo

Capitalist

Beaner said:
Beaner,
Turd? Yes, I can see that. I was reacting to your use of the imperative tense towards BKM will ill effect. My apologies Beaner.

Please stay and play and I'll think before I post next time. How is that for love? :)

Damn, I doing this Trent Lott thing all over the board this morning.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah, I thought Yuppies were pretty much killed by the recession in the early '90s, then re-invented as the "dotcommers".

When I think "Yuppie", I think of the movie "Wall Street". And sushi, and BMWs, and Holt-Renfrew (upscale Canadian Department Store).

Jen

Cyburbian
I know Kel, who even uses that term anymore. I don't relate to it and some might say doug and I are, or used to be, yuppies and they were full of it too.

Besides itsa generational club, and one with degrees of yuppishness like Dan mentioned.

[june cleaver] Guap, lay off the bean, don't you see he has professorial tendencies?[/june cleaver]

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
And I used to be a DINK too

Actually fit the mold of Dan's urban yuppie pretty well. Two wage earners, oversized house in gentrifying neighborhood, vacationing in places that make mom go "Huh?"....

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I was waiting for someone to mention WallStreet, Charley Sheen and all.

Has yuppie always been connoted negatively?

I think there is a notion of class warfare in the expression as well as in the poster's attitude.

A yuppie is someone stereotypically successful-ie lawyer, bond trader, marketing wiz, private sector planner for a developer (tongue is in cheek).

The starving artist has never been a yuppie, nor the anarchist at the coffee shop.

I have been called a yuppie myself and consider it a complement.

The original post is wrong and right. Those true Young Professionals were first real Urban dwellers. Later, those attributes were applied to others, urban, suburban, even rural.

So today, I think the term Yuppie whether it exists or not is irrelevant. It certainly is no longer a literal expression.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Re: Re: Re: BOBOs in Paradise

Beaner said:
Sorry that I don't fit into your little Cyburbia Clique. If an actual reasoned dicussion is what I'm looking for, then I should probably take my question elsewhere.
[ot]If there was no little smiley or other evidence of the comment being tongue-in-cheek, I would have sent EG to the corner for a half hour to do some "reflection." Gentle teasing, such as Photoshopping, is okay. Saying "you're stupid" isn't.

Really, though, all bulletin boards get "cliquish" feels. Another board I participate on ... I'm not part of the big core clique, even with over 1,000 posts. The big guns there had 5,000 to over 10,000 posts. I post and participate a lot, but I still think I'm anonymous compared to many others.

I would say that a "Cyburbia clique" isn't like a clique in high school or at work, because it's not really exclusive. The perception if inclusion comes with participation, flirting, sending out PMs in response to topics, and so on. I don't participate in many private messages, but others here carry out quite a bit of correspondence that's not seen on this board. (No, I can't read private messages.)

Besides, Beaner ... you're not anonymous to me. Kiss kiss.

(not that there's anything wrong with that)
[/ot]

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
gkmo62u said:
I was waiting for someone to mention WallStreet, Charley Sheen and all.
IMHO, those images are associated with old school, 1980s era Reagan/Thatcher yuppies, the BMW-driving, greed-driven folks who took delight in hostile takeovers. There's still a few of those old-school yuppies around, idealized in stock photography of corporate types shaking hands, running through O'Hare, or with an inspired "I'm a visionary" look upwards towards the top of a shiny office tower. They're still the ones that yammer on about "excellence," "total quality management," and "just-in-time delivery," who have Successories posters on their office walls. Today's yuppies, on the other hand, talk about "robust data warehousing solutions" and have French advertising poster reproductions hanging in their offices.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Dan:

you are right. but there is no fundamental difference in the stereotype.

what's the difference in idiotic coroporate doublespeak between total quality management and robust data warehousing systems:

Nothing.

Greed is good, right?

And it is old school but that old school brought about the genesis of the word.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BOBOs in Paradise

Dan said:

I don't participate in many private messages, but others here carry out quite a bit of correspondence that's not seen on this board.

Yeah...Tranplanner has been sending me alot of PMs lately...with lots of smilies and stuff.....I just delete them.

....and Mastiff....keeps PMing me asking me not to spank him too bad in Fantasy Football.....

Last edited:

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I never get PM's.
Me neither, but sometimes I get PMS.

Actually, I have gotten only a few. I think the "popularity" thing relates to how comfortable you feel posting? Somone can't be popular if their not around??? Or maybe we are just dorks. That's ok too. I've been called worse.

:-b
((signing off from home sweet home, loaded with cold medicine and feel like crap.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BOBOs in Paradise

Mike DeVuono said:

....and Mastiff....keeps PMing me asking me not to spank him too bad in Fantasy Football.....
Mastiff already has the regular season title... Be glad if you get another shot at the great 'Hugger team.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BOBOs in Paradise

Dan said:
(No, I can't read private messages.)
[/ot]
WHEW! We'd be in trouble for sure, Tex!

jordanb

Cyburbian
This is a good topic. I've been accused of "gentrifying the neighborhood" a few times, but I'm probably more poor than most of my hispanic neighbors. I go through periods where I don't have enough money to buy groceries. :-x I think the Original Poster was spot on about that.

That said, I know many people with way more money than brains. Like a coworker of mine who subscribes to "BARk[sic] Magazine" and sends his dog to a daycare with a webcam so he can check up on it during work.

donk

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
This is a good topic. I've been accused of "gentrifying the neighborhood" a few times, but I'm probably more poor than most of my hispanic neighbors. I go through periods where I don't have enough money to buy groceries. :-x I think the Original Poster was spot on about that.
You are what is referred to as an "urban pioneer", now just buy low and sell high so you can join teh "yuppies". ;)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Well, banks don't like loaning to people with unstable incomes. :-S

And speculation has driven prices up even in the poor neighborhoods. :-{

donk

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Well, banks don't like loaning to people with unstable incomes. :-S

And speculation has driven prices up even in the poor neighborhoods. :-{
Incorporate and do a total 80's / yuppie thing, the "pump and dump" or issue junk bonds;)

I think I may have merged two threads here. oops

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
What?

Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time on this site...but then a thread like this starts and then I begin to understand....BTW, I have nothing to add other than the boys are back from New Orleans, they had a great time, and they're now frying fish that we caught on Friday. Life is average.