• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What is Bush?

What is Bush?

• A really cool guy.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • A moron, plain and simple.

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • who is Bush?

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • other- please explain.

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Irish One

Prediction

Homosexual marriage will not be legal. The legal title will be Civil Union -and it is coming, like it or not. There are practical social and political reasons for the title difference. I'm sure you understand.

tsc

Cyburbian
all politicians are puppets... it depends who is tugging at their strings.....Bush has got to be about the dumbest puppet....and that accent he has is pathetic and unnatural....just another facet of his inability to speak.

The marriage issue... civil union should be legal and enjoy the same benefits of marriages. Civil Union/Marriage... who cares what it is called... a rose, is a rose,, is a rose...

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
homosexual marriage is already illegal and let's not be completely ignorant here, William J. Clinton signed the "Defense of Marriage Act" during his term which ensured that a legal union in one state between gays does not have to be recognized by any other state.

The pure hatred you guys have for the sitting President is shameful. I love it. You called Regan dumb, Ford dumb, Nixon Dumb, and I don't know if you called eisenhower dumb

Fine disagree with policy but I would stop underestimating him.

Your (the collective) hatred of him is without cause.

Nero

The pure hatred you guys have for the sitting President is shameful.

Right wing ideologues have always wrapped themselves in the flag, labeling those who diagree with them as traitorous and unpatriotic. This is fascism (by definition), not patriotism.
Our nation's diversity allows us to have various viewpionts, all of which take us toward democratic solutions to problems. It is against the spirit of our nation and patriotically shamful to hate or ridicule another American for merely holding an opposing opinion.
Bush says the Democratic Party has got to go away. Maybe he did not notice, but more people voted Democratic than Republican in the past three presidential elections. With so many "traitors" among us, how does this country endure?

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
PU

you make no sense. I suggested that a difference of opinion on policy is healthy and wanted; debate is good. you just hate him. that's juvinile.

El Feo

Cyburbian
But g, haven't you heard?

Bush is HITLER!!!

All the cool kids say so, and lots of filmmakers, and celebrities too!

It MUST be true.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Planificador Urbano said:
With so many "traitors" among us, how does this country endure?
EXACTLY! ;)

Back on point. I don't dislike our President. I reluctantly voted for him. My orginal hope for the party was McCain. Looking back, I too underestemated the guy in many ways.

After 3 some years, I agree with most of his decisions on a wide range of subjects and I find his lack of evil duplicity (see prior President) refreshing. The whole Ashcroft - suspension of civil liberties - still bothers me. I believe that issue still needs addressed.

The most heart warming thing about our President is the fact that he pisses off liberals as much as Clinton did conservatives. That makes me just the slightest bit giddy. So order your Malox/Zantac by the case Pinkos cause you have a little over five more years of Republican inspired GURD to go. ;)
(sorry Pinkos)

Now to gay marriage, I don't have a clue where how that puppy will play out. I can see the Cyburbia Poll solving the problem for the nation.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Maybe he did not notice, but more people voted Democratic than Republican in the past three presidential elections.
Maybe YOU didn't notice, PU, but more people voted AGAINST the democratic candidate in the last three presidential elections than voted for.

Like how you breeze right over the dems having had their heads handed to them last fall...

Also like how most Bush haters shreik they're not traitors, as if anyone ever called them that. I know Bush hasn't. I know I haven't. I can't think of anybody that has.

Can you?

It's clear you're uncomfortable living in a world where your assertions are challenged and your motives questioned, but that's not being labeled a traitor - that's just having to be an adult in a republic. Sucks for you. Funny how it works - free speech begets more free speech in response.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
Evil duplicity? What about lying to the public about his reasons for going to war in Iraq?

And, I'd submit that Clinton pissed off just as many liberals as Bush. Nobody likes a moderate....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
j_deuce said:
Evil duplicity? What about lying to the public about his reasons for going to war in Iraq?
\

We all know its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. I'm not sure if he lied to if the information wasnt good. Regardless, I give the Prez alor of credit for standing up, taking full responsibility for the statement, and defending the integrity of his cabinet. Slick Willy would have thrown his staff to the wolves (or we'd have another Vince Foster) and then he'd hid behind another lie. Bravo, Dubya, bravo.

El Feo

Cyburbian
j_deuce said:

And, I'd submit that Clinton pissed off just as many liberals as Bush. Nobody likes a moderate....
J,

Bush lied about "his" reasons for going to war with Iraq?

[sarcasm]
Hmm. I'm intrigued - tell me more.
[/sarcasm]

And if you really think Clinton pissed off as many liberals as Bush does, I sincerely question your definition of "liberal.";)

Still, we'll have to talk about this, other non-political stuff, and your quest for decent fried chicken all over a beer sometime. Seriously.

tsc

Cyburbian
I just don't think Bush is presidential material...and I dislike his extreme religous right views... or rather the views of those that pour all the money into his piggy bank...,, I also have a real problem with the death penalty....and am pro-choice

And,, why should we suddenly embrace a fellow just because he is president.??. I thought he was a Bozo before he took office.... It doesn't make me unpatriotic to be critical of a man who happens to be running the country. He is just a man..not a god.... with flaws. Like all of us,,I am sure he has some redeeming qualities.

Personally... I would prefer to have "Dick" representing the country.. at least he can speak a full sentence without stuttering and mispronouncing things.

We all have our views.... and that is what the US is about. I would follow the opinion of PU. And... what bothers me about the platform of the religious right.. is that they impose their views on others.....which is too me is in direct conflict of what the US is all about.

Actually.. at the local level.. I find republicans much easier to work for.. usually local democrats are a pain in the !@$#.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
Still, we'll have to talk about this, other non-political stuff, and your quest for decent fried chicken all over a beer sometime. Seriously.
Deal.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I think El Guapo is onto something. If you look back a few years to our Clinton-era posts, we were just as hard on that lying, immoral idiot as we are on the present fascist moron. I was also disappointed by the awful choice of candidates in the last election, and hope we have some better choices in 2004.

What bothers me more than national politics, though, is what has happened at the state level. As a true Reaganite, I believe that local governmnet is the best government, and I beleive in political power devolving to the most local levels instead of being gathered at the top. Over the past decade it is the Republicans who have consolidated power at the state level. They are doing just what the Democrats had done in the 1970's that led to the Reagan revolution. There is hardly a special interest they don't pander to. They don't raise taxes, but use accounting tricks to give us incredibly unstable fiscal policy. The tax breaks they provide are at the expense of local governments, and they attempt to dictate how local government should be managed without regard to local sentiment.

The best thing for our state, certainly, and no doubt many others, would be for the Republicans to be overwhelmingly defeated in the next election. That, of course, assumes that the Democrats can begin delivering a coherent message.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I don't hate Bush any more than any other Rebublican. I don't make a huge deal over the war thing either. We were going to have to do something with Iraq sooner or later anyway.

What I do hate about Republicans in general is stuff like this stupid tax cut. It is just idiotic to go spend billions on the wars, and reduce your revenues. Not to mention the whole "trickle down economics" thing. Cutting taxes for rich doesn't work to stimulate the economy. Never has, never will. If you are going to cut taxes, cut them for the poor to middle class, give that group money to spend and it goes right back into the economy.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TS - I really dont think Bush is the "extreme religious right". He's definitely right of center, but not extreme.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
Yeah, about that tax cut... I'm now seeing a whopping $5 more per (weekly) paycheck. You can bet I'll be running out and buying that new pickup truck now!

tsc

Cyburbian
chet..
I agree he isn't the extreme right.. but he's got a lot of buddies who are... and tries to placate them every once in a while...

Clinton was about as far left as bush is far right...they are both kinda middle of the road.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Planificador Urbano said:
Hey EF, Relax we're all in this together... it's OK
Didn't seem like it was OK, judging from your post. That's why I wrote what I wrote. But if you say all is well now, that's good enough for me.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Of course Bush is cool - see? I think that if a democratic president slipped up a lot while speaking the same people who think Bush sounds like a dummy would think he's a charming down to earth guy who relates to the common man.

El Feo

Cyburbian
j_deuce said:
Yeah, about that tax cut... I'm now seeing a whopping $5 more per (weekly) paycheck. You can bet I'll be running out and buying that new pickup truck now!
Actually, I'm covering my new pickup truck insurance and got a new bedliner with what I'm getting back.

God Bless 'Muricah, God Bless Ford, God Bless the Quirk Family of Fine Auto Dealerships, God Bless USAA, and God Bless Linex Spray-in Truck Liners!

Woohoo!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
j_deuce said:
I must be one of the "wealthy" Americans that got the bigger tax break, since my deductions are $30 a check less. ;)

j_deuce

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I must be one of the "wealthy" Americans that got the bigger tax break, since my deductions are $30 a check less. ;)
Must be. I'm sure as heck not "wealthy." Construction workers make more than I do.

Nero

EF you have USAA insurance? Me too are you a veteran? I have 12 years of service ... Air Force.

I guess we all get a little passionate about politics... but it is OK, that is what makes our country great! I'll try not to be so sarcastic in the future.

El Feo

Cyburbian
PU, I'm a Navy brat. No service myself, although I am planning to join the reserves here shortly.

No prob on the sarcasm, I was trying to be sarcastic myself, and I fear I came off as hard on you personally - sorry. It's always hard to communicate sarcasm in text, especially on a subject as core as politics...

El Feo

Cyburbian
j_deuce said:
True, that.

Poor example. Maybe, hmm... what's NOT run by the Mob in Boston?
Oh, yeah - you'll definitely have to go outside the region for your example.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
Oh, yeah - you'll definitely have to go outside the region for your example.
Okay, well, telephone operators in states not run by Union bosses make more than me. Which reminds me, I should go justify my existence. Back in a while....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I don't like Bush at all. He seems very uncomfortable in the role as president and any successes he has are because of the talented and bright people he surrounds himself with. How the rebublicans in this country put this guy forward as their best and brightest candidate is beyond me. If this guy's last name was not Bush, he would have a hard time getting elected as an alderman, let alone president.

I disagree with his stance on gay marriage. Why people have such a problem with gay marriage is beyond me. Why shouldn't a gay couple enjoy the same rights as a married couple? Why shouldn't they be able to enjoy the same financial benefits?

BKM

Cyburbian
repo Man: From your sig line, there is no way you CAN understand the religious right's hysteria about this issue.

Now excuse me while I go meet with our Police Department to change our code enforcement requirements to implement the REST of Leviticus :)

Belle

Cyburbian
ts corbitt said:
and that accent he has is pathetic and unnatural....just another facet of his inability to speak.
Hey! There are several on this board who resemble this remark! ;) I agree he can't speak, but don't blame the accent!

My favorite quote from Jessie-J's article:
"I caution those who may try to take the speck out of their neighbor's eye when they got a log in their own."
This apparently is a gem of (southern?) wisdom I've never heard before.

Back to Jessie-J's topic, gay marriage...I agree with the Irish One, it's coming, but more importantly, aren't there more important things for the president to be sounding off about? Say, the economy, Iraq, Afghanistan, Liberia....? I'd think there were other issues that should be demanding his time.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Repo Man said:
I don't like Bush at all. He seems very uncomfortable in the role as president and any successes he has are because of the talented and bright people he surrounds himself with. How the rebublicans in this country put this guy forward as their best and brightest candidate is beyond me. If this guy's last name was not Bush, he would have a hard time getting elected as an alderman, let alone president.

I disagree with his stance on gay marriage. Why people have such a problem with gay marriage is beyond me. Why shouldn't a gay couple enjoy the same rights as a married couple? Why shouldn't they be able to enjoy the same financial benefits?
I am not a Bush supporter, but he still deserves credit for the successes of his administration (however few). Part of what defines good leaders is their ability to defer to people with more expertise than them. As much as I don't like the policies of Bush, I have trouble criticizing his management style. He does seem VERY uncomfortable in the role of president, but that may be his somewhat "hickish" perception.

If you want my opinion (if you don't too bad), Alan Keyes or John McCain were far better choices for the Republican party in 2000. Keyes smoked all of the republican candidates during the 2000 debates, especially Bush.

I don't know what his thinking was on taking a stance against gay marriage. He obviously wasn't watching the Supreme Court casebook while he was at the ranch! I don't care if they call them marriages, civil unions, or whatever. I just want the government to stop treating gays like second-class citizens. Like I've said before, the government needs to use the "health, safety, welfare" justification for their policies, just as cities do for their policies, rather than base laws on religious morality.

Of course, my opinion plus 75-cents will buy you a cheap cup of coffee ;)

Budgie

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
EXACTLY! ;)

Back on point. I don't dislike our President. I reluctantly voted for him. My orginal hope for the party was McCain. Looking back, I too underestemated the guy in many ways.

Yeah, I guess we all underestimated his stupidity. I voted for Nadir. I might have voted for McCain. I would vote for Colin Powell.

While giving a Segway demo outside the High Noon Saloon a couple weeks ago, a Vietnam vet came up to me and asked if it was one of those things Bush fell off of. I confirmed that it was and said only an idiot could fall off of one. He agreed and said that he fought for the right to say so. Our nation is made of diverse everyday people a majority of whom think Bush is an imbicile. Actually, I think our country is strong when people can question, ridicule and disagree with politicians rather than blindly saying he's our Commander-in-Chief so we MUST OBEY. Anyone who takes that stance obviously can't think for themselves. I refer to this species as "BOOBUS AMERICANOUS".

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Can't we all just get along? But more importantly, no matter who the current president is, good and bad exist. I did vote for Bush but don't agree with everything he has done. I agreed with some things Clinton did (hummer in the Oral, er Oval Office aside) yet did not vote for him. Every president will have strengths and weaknesses. I have never voted straight party and think anyone who does, is very ignorant.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman said:
Like I've said before, the government needs to use the "health, safety, welfare" justification for their policies, just as cities do for their policies, rather than base laws on religious morality.
This is what I've always said, too, but it doesn't really seem to fly in the good ol'e USA, for whatever reason. We're the most religious secular country there is.

Where will 75c buy a cup of coffee, by the way?

BKM

Cyburbian
I think I could have been proud as an American if we had John McCain as president (individual policy disagreements aside-I am still a sketpical LEFTY).

I don't think Bush is "stupid" at all. But, he is not presidential calibre. I think he is totally unsuited for the presidency. He never traveled outside the country, he has little real interest in many of the important issues, and he comes across very poorly-which is, sadly-important in today's media saturated world. I don't buy the "surrounds himself with smart people" argument either. His administration is full of neocon chicken hawks and corporate stooges. They are scarier to me than Bush.

As for the Gay Marriage thing-I agree that focusing on this right now is a time waster. Nonethelss, there are always Gay people, and they shouldn have the right to officialize their relationships. I am utterly mystified how a "Civil Union" or "Marriage" status will threaten straight couples. For 1-10% of the population, beating them and treating them as second class citizens is not going to make them "see the joys" of church-approved relationships.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
In answer to the Poll: Bush is the next president, thanks to the Democrats' inability to get their acts together and offer a real challenger and lefties' tendancies to vote for "third parties."

The Irish One

I can honestly say I never under estimated Bush. When I recognized how big a power house team he had - how every important cabinet member was an absolute giant in republican governance. Cheney from the start said it all to me. Then Powell -everybody knows this guy and most respect him a lot, Rumsfeld a navy guy with a lot of private/ Government experience, Rice a brainiac w/ lots of big biz. These are the real republican mutha f*kas. If dubya is smart enough to listen to Cheney and his dad on cabinet appointments alone -I can can conclude he is of the normal average intelligence of regular folks (an IQ ranging from 110-120).

j_deuce

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Does this reflect an ability to think for oneself?
It may. It also, however, reflects either an abiding understanding that it doesn't really matter who the president is as long as you vote your conscience OR a lack of acceptance that in swing states a vote for a third party will throw the victory to someone more likely to be the opposite of what you want in office (ie, a Republican).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Since this topic has also been around here (in Chile) too, I'll give my 2 cents. :)

I believe there should be a civil union for homosexual couples. I don't call it marriage, because I believe that marriage has an important natural function, to procreate, to have the possibility to adopt children, and obviously raise the children. I believe that homosexual couples are un-natural role models, hence should not be allowed to adopt children. But I do respect them, and believe that they should be able to have a civil union, in order to form a special union, in which they have the same economical, health, and post-mortem(*) rights as normal marriages.

(*)As in, if one member of the couple dies, his couple that lives inherits his/hers belongings, rather than the family of the deceased.

About Bush: He's not of my personal preference, but neither was Clinton.
For me politicians must be consecuent to their ideals, be rational, promote peace, social programs to help the needed and care for the enviroment. They shouldn't be extremists, and respect morality and others opinions. He/her must not sell out to corporations or mass-media. Act to benefit the majority, rather than personal interests.

That being said, whoever finds a politician like that...would be very lucky. Oh well, you can always dream... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.