• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What is this "Replanning" thing?

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I just read this article on Planetizen about what this guy calls replanning. His basic argument: repairing the infrastructure alone in places like Iraq and Bosnia don't make them sustainable again after the destruction of war, and that planners are needed to make that transition from destruction to sustainability.

I like the argument that planners can help in nation-building, but must we call this a whole new field of planning? Duh -- isn't this what community and economic development planners do already?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
Duh -- isn't this what community and economic development planners do already?
Absolutely! We are always (re)planning previously developed areas.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Absolutely! We are always (re)planning previously developed areas.
Myabe giving it another name gets planners a foot in the door with the military.

jresta

Cyburbian
haha - replanning.

Yeah, it's old hat. At least since the 60's. If the guy want's to see a city devastated by war he doesn't have to get on a plane.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
The guy's trying to get recognition for coining another "cool" phrase.
Agreed. A new turn of phrase for community development planning in hope of gaining recognition in the field by getting published. Personally I think "replanning" isn't a very creative term...Kinda dumb if you ask me.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
If this guy's new phrase can get me a nice, fat military contract to rebuild Baghdad, maybe it's worth it.

I'd call myself a "replanner" if it made me rich.