• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What is wrong with this…. or is it right?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Its hard to judge that photo. Other than the obvious absence of silt fencing and ignorance of nonpoint source pollution, it could be a success.

SGB

Cyburbian
If their duly adopted and current comprehensive plan encourages big box development, and their current zoning is consistant with that plan, then I suppose (Chet's concerns aside) that this could be indeed be a picture of success.

I've worked for communities that sang "All We Want for Christmas/Kwanza/Hanukkah/Ramadan/Winter Solstice is Our Own Big Box" before. To each their own, I suppose.......

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
My previous city just bent over backwards to assist in a new WalMart location. They are leveling a mountain similar to the posted pic. They were probably justified, in that a super Wal Mart was going somewhere in the area, so why not in your taxing jurisdiction? If you know you are going to lose, why not at least get something out of it?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
mike gurnee said:
My previous city just bent over backwards to assist in a new WalMart location. They are leveling a mountain similar to the posted pic. They were probably justified, in that a super Wal Mart was going somewhere in the area, so why not in your taxing jurisdiction? If you know you are going to lose, why not at least get something out of it?
I had the identical experience with my previous employer.

H

Cyburbian
Doesn’t this picture make anybody sad? Does everyone just look at it and see daily work and routine?

Is it a success just because it satisfies an immediate ‘want’? What about long-term successes, and consequences?

And the name of the big box is not important here. Rather the method of development.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
It's all about . . . .

[cynic]
It’s said, “Success is a journey, not a destination,” but only to people who won’t get there, so they won’t feel so bad.
[/cynic]

SGB

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Doesn’t this picture make anybody sad? Does everyone just look at it and see daily work and routine?

Is it a success just because it satisfies an immediate ‘want’? What about long-term successes, and consequences?

And the name of the big box is not important here. Rather the method of development.
[cynic mode]

Yeah, it certainly is sad on one level. But until the electorate and local politicians become more sophisticated in their short and long-range decision making, communities will continue to get the government and development patterns they deserve.

[/cynic mode]

Edit: Holy !@#!. I've been reading too much Kunstler!

. This is a place where family values help our citizens "live the good life" in our welcoming neighborhoods.
This makes my stomach turn. Whose "family values" are they referring to?

BKM

Cyburbian
What are you, Huston-some kind of secret Al Qaeda operative?

"Satisfy the immediate want" is the be all and end all of current American culture. Planners can only chip away with toothpicks at this cultural force. Without bringing up the subjects of low density living and the-vehicles-which-can-longer-be-named-but-start-with-"S"-and-"U," we are all (and especially myself) guilty of personal-level decisions that encourage/necessitate exactly this kind of development.

Sure, it could probably be designed a little more sympathetically, but the environmental impacts of a giant parking lot full of huge ass pickup trucks and minivans with families of seven children overwhelm any minor amelioration. (especially since a mega-Wal Mart will spawn an "architectural asteroid belt" of similar users in the same area.

God, am I in a bad mood. I will shut up now.