• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What is your 6 degrees of separation?

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
This may have been done before, but someone mentioned (sorry I can’t remember who) that there is a grandmother they know that is just a few degrees away from Kevin Bacon (like the game is played). So it made me wonder about my 6 degrees of separation. What is your six degrees of separation from someone either famous or infamous? For the Kevin Bacon game - I was in a movie with Melissa Joan Hart (Family Reunion: A Relative Nightmare), who was in a movie with Randy Quaid (Not Another Teen Movie), who was on a tv show with Elizabeth McGovern (The Brotherhood of Poland New Hampshire), who was in a movie with Kevin Bacon (She’s Having A Baby).

Jeff

Cyburbian
Wait a minute.....you were in a movie?

Anyway... the band I was in in HS had 2 members who went to the same HS as Kevin Bacon.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Three Degrees of Separation From Natalie Portman

I had a friend in grad school who had a friend at a private school on Long Island who had Natalie Portman as a classmate.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I went to high school with Dave Koepp that is a Hollywood screenwriter / director / producer. Hw as worked with Kevin Bacon in Stir of Echos .

Thus, I am now one degree of separation from Kevin Bacon.

EDIT: I am also two degrees of separation from John Candy (RIP). My best friend dated his niece.

EDIT2: I am one degree of separation from Jeffrey Dahmer. He was friends with a florist I know.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I am a planner.
Kevin Bacon's father was a planner.
Two steps. :-D

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Wait a minute.....you were in a movie?

Anyway... the band I was in in HS had 2 members who went to the same HS as Kevin Bacon.
It was nothing big, I didn't have a role, I was an extra, but I was throughout the entire film. Didn't mean to freak anyone out. Actually, I was in two movies in college.

I have a couple of other links, but I need to work them through like some members of Limp Bizkit went to my high school (one is a cousin of a friend) and met a few political people too high up on food chain.

Jeff

Cyburbian
No separation .... I went to HS and played HS Football with Marvin Harrison, Colts WR.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Im also one degree of separation from Linda Blair. My folks were extras in a cememtery scene of the exhorcist.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I worked with a guy who was neighbors with and babysat the Hanson brothers.

My best friend sat beside Mark Messier on a plane and chatted with him for 3 hours. Same guy is also cousins with Mike McPhee (any Habs fans would know this guy)

My aunt was Donald Sutherland's landlady in Vancouver for a while.

donk

Cyburbian
I went to the same HS at the same time as the professional wrestler "edge". He was in a few of my sister's classes.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hmmmm... I'm form L.A. My list would be too long to start this, since living down the street from or going to school with a celeb is sort of normal. Most of the people I knew were kids at the time too: like Kirk Cameron, Tracey & Missy Gold, Jason Bateman, etc. The only person I still talk to from time to time that has that kind of background is a dude that had a small bit on Diff'rent Strokes.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Hmmmm... I'm form L.A. My list would be too long to start this, since living down the street from or going to school with a celeb is sort of normal. Most of the people I knew were kids at the time too: like Kirk Cameron, Tracey & Missy Gold, Jason Bateman, etc. The only person I still talk to from time to time that has that kind of background is a dude that had a small bit on Diff'rent Strokes.
Oh yeah, that's the dude that you correspond with who's in prison.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
BiteMeElmo said:
Oh yeah, that's the dude that you correspond with who's in prison.
Better keep your eyes open Elmo.....coming from experience. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My dad once had lunch with JFK who was Maria Shriver's uncle and of course she is married to Arnold. 3 degrees (?) from Arnold.

I think the original thread was something about Brush with Greatness. Too lazy to do a search.

Smokey Robinson is my maternal grandfather's second cousin although they look like they could have passed for brothers.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
For Kevin Bacon..

My cousin was an extra in the movie Dillinger with Sherilyn Fenn, who was in Wild at Heart with Pruitt Taylor Vince
Pruitt Taylor Vince was in Trapped with Kevin Bacon

I have no clue who Pruitt Taylor Vance is.

As for famous people I am 1 degree from Frank Calliendo of Mad TV and Fox NFL Pregame show fame. He and I were in an upper level English class called "Stand Up Comedy and The Other" at UW-Milwaukee.

kms

Cyburbian
Foster Brooks is/was my aunt's uncle.

My cousin is a sportswriter and is on ESPN sometimes, but I don't know if that makes him famous.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I have a ~4th degree aunt that's a senator here...
my... that's the only "famous" person I know that's related...

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
For the Kevin Bacon game - I was in a movie with Melissa Joan Hart (Family Reunion: A Relative Nightmare), who was in a movie with Randy Quaid (Not Another Teen Movie), who was on a tv show with Elizabeth McGovern (The Brotherhood of Poland New Hampshire), who was in a movie with Kevin Bacon (She’s Having A Baby).
Similarly, I was an extra in "The Big Easy" starring Dennis Quaid, who's the brother of Randy Quaid (Not Another Teen Movie), who was on a tv show with Elizabeth McGovern (The Brotherhood of Poland New Hampshire), who was in a movie with Kevin Bacon (She’s Having A Baby).

Also, Bryant Gumbel (former Today Show host and current host of HBO Sports) and his brother Greg (CBS Sports) are my aunt's (through marriage) nephews.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Re: Re: What is your 6 degrees of separation?

Big Easy King said:
Similarly, I was an extra in "The Big Easy" starring Dennis Quaid, who's the brother of Randy Quaid (Not Another Teen Movie), who was on a tv show with Elizabeth McGovern (The Brotherhood of Poland New Hampshire), who was in a movie with Kevin Bacon (She’s Having A Baby).
Wow Big Easy, we are only a few degrees away from each other if you go by this method. Pretty neat. We are pratically related. ;)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: What is your 6 degrees of separation?

Trail Nazi said:
Wow Big Easy, we are only a few degrees away from each other if you go by this method. Pretty neat. We are pratically related. ;)
That's right, my sista. ;-) :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My gradfather was apparantly army buddies with Uncle Fester from the Addams Family.

You've probably read about me and Brittney and Christina and Madonna.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Every planner out there is three or four degrees from Kevin Bacon. Just have to find a connection to Edmund Bacon, the former planning director of Philadelphia and Kevin's father.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I one community, I had the honor and privilege of dealing with Charles Manson's uncle. They had some similar traits.