• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What is your earliest memory?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I have some very fleeting early memories when I was about 18 months old of our family vacation in Florida during the summer of 1966. One of them is sitting on a front porch and it suddenly starting to rain, and the other is being in this huge arena. (My dad told me we went to Sea World and I was laughing so hard at one of the shows. that everyone in the audience around us was looking at me instead of Shamu.)

I have more clear and detailed memories of around age four or so. I was very sick around Christmas time 1968 and I have quite vivid memories of being in the hospital.

What is your earliest recollections and how old were you?

el Guapo

Capitalist
I remember the 4th of July, 1968. We were in Bad Kissigen Germany. I was 5. It was the day I fell in love with blowing things up.

When I was 2 1/2, my neighbor was babysitting for me while my mom and dad were at the hospital delivering my little brother. She burned the toast and I remember being so scared of the smoke alarm.

Very boring.

donk

Cyburbian
Mine is creepy, so I'll leave out the really creepy part that lead to the memory.

I remember going for ice cream when I was 2 1/2 - 3 and everyone being very quiet. I also remember the cleaning up the house the next day.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Waiting for carpet to be installed over our hardwood floor (why) in the family room. I remember running from the living room window to family room and jumping up and down on the floor to make noise. This repeated many times. I guess I had to do it as much as I could before the carpet was installed. Weird...I'm weird.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The fire in our house Christmas Eve 1978, wanted to be a fireman from that day on.

The Irish One

Whitehorse, New Jersey, I was 2 years old -my grandma warning me if I didn't calm down I wouldn't get any Jiffy Pop. I don't remember eating any popcorn.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
You all may not believe this but I have a re-occuring dream that's very difficult to describe in words. A shrink interpreted it as my birth. So I guess you could say that I remember being in mom's womb.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
July 1967 -- I was 2 1/2 years old, and I remember tanks rolling down the streets of Detroit. My family lived about 3 blocks from the starting point of the '67 Detroit riots.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I remember playing cowboys and indians hiding in the crook of my father's knees while he napped on the couch. I was probably about 3.
As an adult I think, How could he nap?
I also remember hearing his key jingle on his hip as he walked home from work two blocks away, he had a definate limp.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Living in Columbia Maryland, 1971. I was 3 years old and the neighborhood had a block party. I remember two things very clearly: Meeting a hippie, and my big sister chasing me arounf with a live lobster.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Moon landing, July 1969 - I was barely two. It was a big deal - my folks woke me up, and I remember being pissed because my older brothers wouldn't shut up so we could listen to Walter Cronkite. We all went outside, and my parents tried to explain to me that those men we saw on TV were on the moon. I didn't quite get it, but it didn't take more than a few months for me to understand.

Related, confused childhood memory: For about four years, I thought the U.S. Navy Frogmen were literally strange crossbred half-man, half-frog creatures that helped astronauts swim when they returned.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Trailer on Foot

I was about 2.5 years old and I remember playing with a jack that held up a trailer (I'm taking large camper). The jack fell over and the trailer came to rest on my foot. I also remember blowing out the candles on my brothers 2nd B-day cake. He was pissed. The Bicentennial Parades and Carter vs Ford were huge.

Jeff

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
You all may not believe this but I have a re-occuring dream that's very difficult to describe in words. A shrink interpreted it as my birth. So I guess you could say that I remember being in mom's womb.
It isn't that one where its like your in space, and space keeps getting farther and farther away?

Acid flashback over, back to reality.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I remember the day that my grandmother died, back in 1989.. I was 4... (It was in april, so I didn't have 5 yet)
I remember having pneumonia back in 1990 when I got to the US (it was like October or something..) and I remember accidentally dropping the thermometer, and hearing it break and doing one of the stupidest things ever: putting a piece I found of it back in my mouth (I was lucky to no get poisoned with mercury!)

So, that's the earliest memories that comes to mind right now...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Mike D. said:
It isn't that one where its like your in space, and space keeps getting farther and farther away?

Acid flashback over, back to reality.
That's pretty accurate Mike. But it's not really 'space' more like an environment with undefined boundaries...hard to describe. Next comes the bright lights and the anxiety.

moose

I was supposed to be sleeping. I pulled apart my down-filled pillow, threw the feathers everywhere and pretended it was snowing. I was about three years old. I have only the vaguest memory of it, but my mom must have been amused, because she took a picture of me sitting on my bed with goose down everywhere.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think I was three or 4 and I remember riding a my big wheel past this one driveway that I was not supposed to go past and my grandma spanked me. Up until that point my grandma did nothing but spoil me, so I was in complete shock.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Playing in the 1" of snow we got in Texas in 1981 with my brothers or peeing in my pants sitting on the driveway and my older brother and his friend making fun of me.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was 3 years and a few months: June 29, 1973. I remember sitting in the main lobby of a hospital in Los Angeles waiting for my brother to be born. My grandparents were down there with me. I recall a cafeteria and having jello, and then taking an elevator ride up to see the baby in amongst the dozens on display. I don't remember if I ever figured out which one he was. And then the next day I remember his homecoming. I think this is a really cool memory, because we are both adopted... but I was given the chance through his open adoption process to somewhat witness his birth. It's probably a lot more than most adopted siblings get.

H

Cyburbian
My parents took so many pics that I probably think I remember many things I actually don’t. So I have no idea.

Interesting to think about though.

My earliest memory is of riding on my mom's lap in a tank. My sister says I was less than 18 months old. "Family day" -- come see what your dad does -- on a military base.

kms

Cyburbian
I remember sitting atop my uncle's shoulders while he stood in the ocean, and he said to me, "There's your Aunt Ruth."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
he has a hose but...

;)
... he just can't put out the fire.

(Sorry, Mike, but I couldn't let that one pass. ;) )

The first thing I remember, I was lying in my bed
I couldn't've been no more than one or two
And I remember there's a radio, coming from the room next door
My mother laughed away some ladies' due
Well it's late in the evening, and all the music sees me through

The next thing I remember, I am walking down a street
I'm feeling alright with my boys and with my troops, yeah
Down along the avenue some guys are shootin' pool
And I heard the sound of acapella groups, yeah
Singin' late in the evening, and all the girls out on the stoops, yeah

Then I remember playin' some lead guitar, I was underage in this funky bar
And I stepped outside to smoke myself a J
When I come back to the room, everybody just seemed to move
And I turned my amp up louder to get away
It was late in the evening, and I blew that room away

First thing I remember when you came into my life
I said I wanna get that girl, no matter what I do
Well I guess I've been in love before and once or twice have been on the floor
But I've never loved no-one the way that I love you
And it was late in the evening, and all the music sees me through

First thing I remember when you came into my life
I said I wanna get that girl, no matter what I do
Well I guess I've been in love before and once or twice have been on the floor
But I've never loved no-one the way that I love you
And it was late in the evening, and all the music sees me through

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
There was a giant storm called the "Blizzard of '78" up in New England. Older people still talk about all the snow and misery that was lashed upon us.

I was three and can remember my mom trying to drive my sister and me to the doctors since were were sick. I can picture us struggling to climb up one of the hills in Portland, ME, while the wheels of our faux-wood panel station wagon tried to grip the road.