• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What is your super geek talent?

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Ever see that game show Beat the Geeks? Contestants pit their knowledge base against a supposed geek in different genres including music, movies, tv, and numerous other categories.

Other than being in the computer/tech profession, one of my super geek abilities is general knowledge trivia. More often than not, I tend to win at games like Trivial Pursuit. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, but I do tend to do well. I have been called Cliff Clavin on more than one occasion. Also, I tend to be pretty quick at one-liners in battles of wits. Sarcasm is my best friend.

What is your super geek ability? Share your geekitude with the world. Abilities related to your current field of employment are exempt.

Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
BiteMeElmo said:
one of my super geek abilities is general knowledge trivia. More often than not, I tend to win at games like Trivial Pursuit. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone, but I do tend to do well. I have been called Cliff Clavin on more than one occasion.
Me too. No wonder nerudite like me. ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My local coffee shop hates me because inevitably I had the answer to their daily trivia question and would win yet another free coffee. I had to stop going there.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm the queen of googling (ask NHPlanner). I can find almost anything on the internet or through public records, given the time. I can also work almost any software I've tried without manuals or training.

I also am good with the trivia (you don't win all the Trivial Pursuit games, Elmo! And considering that we are playing on the Canadian version most of the time... :p ) Although, I don't think I've ever been called "Cliff".

I also have a photographic memory for maps and can remember the locations of anywhere I've been before. I just don't always remember the most direct route on how to get from one place to another. But I can get there!

SGB

Cyburbian
I aspire toward geekdom, but my skills are lacking.

I did, however, build our home computer from a kit I purchased.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I am a damn good beat-boxer which is very geeky when I do it. My 1 year old thinks its hilarious though. :)

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I'm the queen of googling (ask NHPlanner). I can find almost anything on the internet or through public records, given the time.
Funny, after all this time, you still haven't discovered my gender reorientation records. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I am a damn good beat-boxer which is very geeky when I do it. My 1 year old thinks its hilarious though. :)
Beat-boxing
Playing the Spoons
Armpit Farting
Juggling and eating what I'm juggling at the same time (this gets messy)
Hovering a grape (I'd have to show you)
Getting a beer bottles to suction to my face (hard with facial hair)
BMX freestyle (ground mostly -- little air)
3 card monty

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I'm the queen of googling (ask NHPlanner). I can find almost anything on the internet or through public records, given the time. I can also work almost any software I've tried without manuals or training.
Me too. We must be related. Wait, we found out we are. I can find anything on the internet as well. I have never taken a computer class in my life and I'm 32. I just work with the program unitl I figure it out. I also can remember names and faces. I met someone 10 years ago for two minutes. I see them again and I can tell you their name.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm good at trivia, won a two day radio contest once. I too am a google god, I have old co-workers asking me to look up stuff all the time. I am pretty good at fixing computers as well.

biscuit

Cyburbian
The finacee refers to it as my "Mapquest powers." I can take off in the car, or on foot, without a map and make it to my destination. It's a knack for never getting lost. My personal favorite was the very long trip I made driving mapless from Pittsburgh to Richmond, Va. on backroads.
I think she almost broke up with me on that day.

Other geek powers:
Trivia
Karaoke
Plus, I'm a great...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Let's see.. I'm good with maps, I can orientate myself quite well and I tend to know a bunch of historical facts about Chile (mainly) and the World.

donk

Cyburbian
I'm pretty good at untying knots, can convert between SAE and SI distance measurements pretty quickly in my head and can give most of my friends a run for their money at trivia, provided not too much movie stuff thrown in.

I see it now, the next cyburbia get together will be including a TP tournament.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am a music geek - I had a music trivia game in high school and nobody would play me because I would kick their ass. I used to watch Rock and Roll jeopardy and rattle off the answers before the contestants.

I am also the resident computer geek at work. I can usually troubleshoot computers with ease.

I am also good at recreating food found at good restaurants...if there is something I like, I can usually figure out what is in there to emulate it at home.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Does anyone play ntn (www.ntn.com) trivia at their local tavern?
We both do... but not often. Usually I get there just in time for golf trivia or some such nonsense. But I like (and do fairly well at) their general category games.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
The finacee refers to it as my "Mapquest powers." I can take off in the car, or on foot, without a map and make it to my destination. It's a knack for never getting lost. My personal favorite was the very long trip I made driving mapless from Pittsburgh to Richmond, Va. on backroads.
I think she almost broke up with me on that day.

Other geek powers:
Trivia
Karaoke
Plus, I'm a great...
Ditto. On a moonless night in Saudi Arabia, I drove a mile or two through pitch black across the featureless desert, with no lights, and came up to my unit's defenses just a couple hundered yards from the gate.

I set out on a cross-country hike in Utah, up and down and through canyons for about ten miles, and ended up coming out of a canyon within site of my car.

life_boy

I am a movie geek. Friends and family have found me helpful for telling them the name of a movie they started watching on TV but they didn't catch the title (and with only seeing 2-5 seconds of screen time). I have a very comprehensive knowledge of when films were released (post-1970, that is) and I often get annoyed if I see the wrong release year put beside a film in a magazine, newspaper, or internet article. I usually win movie trivia games.

But, enough about me...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have learned to write java and html scripts, and am working on xml as time permits.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Does anyone play ntn (www.ntn.com) trivia at their local tavern?
I love ntn, but the closest place that has it is more than walking distance. I usually have a few drinks while playing, so driving home is not an option. Just easier to stay home and play TP if I don't feel like finding a DD.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

I also have a photographic memory for maps and can remember the locations of anywhere I've been before.
I, too, have that orientation geekiness. I always know where north is and can always find my way easily.

To take it one step further, I can also remember where any ladies' room is located. On a family trip when I was 9, we were in a restaurant and my mom took me to the bathroom, which was thru the kitchen, up a flight of stairs, and down a hallway. Ten years later, we went back, and I remembered the odd route. (Just an example).

I can recall exact text when taking a test.

I am also the supreme writer of skits, stupid sayings, and practical jokes at work, despite having a pitifully shy personality.

kms

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:

I can recall exact text when taking a test.
Me, too! I could even picture professors lecturing.

I have a quirky talent of being able to untangle things - things like jump rope, string, necklaces and Slinkys.

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I, too, have that orientation geekiness. I always know where north is and can always find my way easily.
I'm like that too! I always know where north is. On one or two occasions I've been driving along winding roads in unfamiliar places, and become disoriented. I have to ask someone which way is north, then I'll feel calm again. Reoriented.

You kind of assume everyone is like that, but sometimes when discussing orientation, you find some people don't know/don't care, others are wrong, and 99.9% of the time you are right.

boiker

Cyburbian
i have the unusual ability to insert simpsons references into nearly every conversation i have. Most people don't catch them and I end up laughing to myself. It's usually returned with a confused stare.

At this point I let them in on the joke.

'ahoy hoy

JNL

Cyburbian
boiker said:
i have the unusual ability to insert simpsons references into nearly every conversation i have.
I know a couple of people like that - they can find a Simpsons episode relevant to every situation. And they're all highly intelligent people too :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I know a couple of people like that - they can find a Simpsons episode relevant to every situation. And they're all highly intelligent people too :)
That pretty much sums up the throbbing brain....

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
This thread has really disturbed me. I've been thinking about it since it started...outside of my work, I can't come up with a single thing that I have a super geek talent in. Keep me away from home fix-its. I only know how to refuel and open the hood of my vehicles. No super skills...zero. Geez, maybe that makes me the geekiest of all. :(

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
My geeky talant is typing. I can type close to 100 words per minute. In high school they put me on the typing team (talk about geekdom)!!!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I am just a geek. That is my superhero talent. I do have a knack for writing skits. ZG and I had fun putting them together.

Ah, my real talent is suggesting something to a group and then not showing up to do the work. For example, I suggested that we go blaze one of our trails one day. So the day was picked and I then left to go to AZ for 2 weeks.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
Ah, my real talent is suggesting something to a group and then not showing up to do the work. For example, I suggested that we go blaze one of our trails one day. So the day was picked and I then left to go to AZ for 2 weeks.
Sounds more like a super bastard talent ;) ;)