• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What makes you feel good?

nerudite

Cyburbian
No, it's not what you think. ;)

What makes you feel good as a planner... what have you done that makes you say "Damn, I love this job!"?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, the reason I am asking this question is because I feel *so good today* about what I do for a living!

Here in Alberta, environmental protection occurs at the provincial level. In the case of wetlands, typically what happens is a developer will bring a plan to the province showing the wetlands, and the province basically says which ones they want to protect. Everything else can be plowed under for all they care.

I got a plan in a few months ago for a 208 ha (approx. 500 ac) development adjacent to riparian areas, a river and in close proximity to a lake with significant breeding grounds. The province said keep the natural areas next to the river, but the developer can bulldoze the rest. Under the environmental review hierarchy, there isn't anything I can do to require the other wetlands be saved. However, one wetland is currently serving as natural stormwater management and filtration for about 400 ha of land. It is also a nesting ground for several species. The developer was proposing to bulldoze it under and replace it with a normal stormwater pond that would take up less land area.

After 2.5 hours of 'site visit' yesterday with the developer and engineer, we may have come up with a solution to dig out a portion of the wetland to serve as stormwater quantity regulation (flood control) and separate it from the more significant breeding areas via a dike system to avoid flooding of nesting areas in the balance of the wetland. I'm trying to get them extra park reserve credit (which we don't usually give for stormwater facilities) due to their going beyond the requirements of the Province. The developer could have told me to shove it when I asked him to do all this, but I presented the opportunity in a way that will make this a huge marketing boon for him. I'm hoping it will be a win-win in the long run...

A very similar neighbourood plan went through a few years ago for this area and was all but adopted. The previous planner didn't care to save the wetland area and was okay with bulldozing it under. I feel so good about at least trying to buck the system and do good despite the bureaucracy working against me this time. It's times like this that I'm so glad I do what I do... just had to share I guess. :)

tsc

Cyburbian
competing and winning grants. I try to earn more in grant monies than they pay me.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Returning to a town I used to work for, and seeing the ideas that I planted have become real projects.

SGB

Cyburbian
Nice work, Nerudite!

I work in a county with 31 local and regional municipal governments. There are only 4 professional public sector planners employed here. There are no consulting planners, either, that I know of.

Anytime I'm able to help someone understand what we do - and what we can do - as professionals, it's a very good day.

donk

Cyburbian
I got a standing ovation, before we presented a secondary plan once. It is now nice to see some of the ideas we proposed being completed. (Sidewalks, adaptive reuse of building, parking area, landscaping)

I also like when a person comes in with a rough idea and desire to learn about how to do good development. Takes his/her idea and our advice and does it right.

I also enjoy when a person thanks us for our help, and actually means it. This one is not very often.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
-Coffee
-Getting the bulk of my thesis done (finally!!)
-Helping people who are uncertain about the whole process, and having it all turn out in their favor
-Connectivity!!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
a syringe full of herion and co...... oh i feel really good when someone takes the credit for the work you've done and then blames you when they get blamed for something in the report.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
It makes me feel good when the Plan Commission or Common Council ignores NIMBYS and makes the right decision.

It makes me feel good when I complete a neighborhood plan and items we included in the plan get implemented, then a happy resident calls and says "I didn't think the City was actually going to follow the plan we worked on."

It makes me feel god when a business/applicant goes out of their way in front of Council or Plan Commission to thank staff for working with them.

However the best feeling I get is at 5:00pm on Friday when I leave for the weekend!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
When an old woman walks up to me after presenting a plan to completely revitalize her neighborhood, she looks at me holding back the tears, and says, "God Bless you, you actually care about making a difference in the lives of the people here."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Several of the ideas in AB499, "The Wisconsin Downtown Act," were suggested by yours truly. There is a hearing scheduled before the Assembly Committee on Tourism on Wednesday. The bill includes:

- creating a certification program for downtowns, making them eligible for various programs in the bill;

- requiring the Department of Tourism to promote downtown travel;

- expanding eligibility for the historic preservation tax credit;

- requiring a "liberal" interpretation of the historic building code administered by the Department of Commerce;

- requiring state government offices to locate (build or lease) in certified downtowns unless the cost difference is greater than ten percent;

- requiring the Department of Transportation to give priority to existing on-street parking over road widening in street reconstruction projects;

- Requiring DOT to fund reconstruction of parking lanes; and

- Requiring DOT to provide directional signage to downtowns it bypasses.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Saying "hell no" to a developer that presents crap as innovative planning.

Extorting monies for trails and parks.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal - LOL I thought of you when I perused that document.

Nerudite - Come work in Wisconsin USA. The DNR will over rule you on all those points and you can be the 'good girl' that lets the developers work within their rules.

And Me: A woman that lived in the town I used to work for (in government work)... well, she worked with my Dad for years. She was a land division petitioner and recognized my last name and asked about the relation. My Dad made a point the other day to say to the effect , "I always knew you'd be good at what you chose to do. Government was a waste of your talent... I hope you know that now..."

So far, most of my work is unpaid. So I have to feel good about what I am doing or I wouldn't do it at all. Next, I have plans to figure out how to actually earn a living.

I have a friend who has spent many years working as an unpaid community activist in an unincorporated community that has suffered enormously in terms of social injustice. We met a bit over a year ago but it wasn't until January that we discovered this common interest in community development. She has been very patient with my getting back to her when I am able and always has the most enthusiastic praise for my ideas, which she finds very helpful. I feel like I am making a real difference and that I actually have something of value to offer, which is sometimes something I desperately need, given the slow pace at which my educational and career plans are proceeding.

The other thing that is satisfying is to watch my suggestions get slowly implemented at the local homeless shelter and how much of an impact my ideas have made. In addition to giving them design ideas, I have done some custom design in Excel and Word and generally supported their efforts to computerize the enormous paperwork burden of running a non-profit. Like my friend who is a community activist, they also treat me with a great deal of enthusiastic affection and genuinely appreciate my contribution.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
a good bike ride or walk.
a mug of coffee and a muffin from Tim Horton's.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I understand food gifts from business acquaintences but I had a lady bring me in a huge tray of goodies yesterday that I helped get a building permit this year. She loves me!!!

Aren't gifts funny, then I also got a dozen roses left on my desk yesterday from a developer. That gift brings questionable intent with it, but this is how I look at that. My kids give me gifts to and that doesn't stop me from telling them NO!!!!

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
just a few nice, encouraging words from my dept's director saying he likes the job i am doing.