• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What odd Zoning Districts Do you Have??

tsc

Cyburbian
Here are some of ours (real)

Country Club District
Educational Institution District
Nursing Home District
View Preservation Overlay District
Railroad District
Recreation District
Controlled Development District (aren't they all???)
Designed Shopping Districts
Special Character District

donk

Cyburbian
From our Act

Integrated Development Zone. The developer can make a request to do a development, establishing their own standards and regulations, then enter into an agreement with the municipality to do what they want.

What I find odd is that we have 9 residential zones, with three of them not in use.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Is this confusing or what - there a difference between
Floodway vs. Waterfront Recreational.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Believe it or not... I don't think our city has any 'strange' districts. They are all pretty much standard districts really.

Vancouver WA had a bunch of special districts for certain areas of the City, like a central park (next to downtown) combining district, Vision and Airport Height Combining District, surface mining combining district, a myriad shoreline districts, downtown building lines combining districts, downtown rain protection district... the list goes on and on (and on and on)... that city was the king of overlays and combining districts. Made it pretty confusing at times as a current planner.

tsc

Cyburbian
leave it to home rule to make some good ones...

Planned Interchange District
Age-Oriented Geriatric Community District
Country Commercial Business District

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Check out Westminster, Colorado; a few basic R-1 zoned areas, some old C-1 or C-2 areas ... with everything else being a PUD.

One place where I worked had R1ME - Residential Mobile Estate, or mobile homes on large lots.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We are getting to the point where most of the new developments are applying as PUD's. Is that a signal that the zoning code may need to be re-written?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
tsc said:
Here are some of ours (real)

Country Club District
Educational Institution District
Nursing Home District
View Preservation Overlay District
Railroad District
Recreation District
Controlled Development District (aren't they all???)
Designed Shopping Districts
Special Character District

A. TMI!! Good lord, how do you keep track? Why don't you just use special exceptions?

B. Describe a "Special Character District". In central FL, that would be Disney World. Is yours reserved for Cyburbia characters?

tsc

Cyburbian
ZG, I think the Special Character Overlay District is to keep out characters like Cyburbians!!

Special Character Overlay:

Special Character Overlay Districts are established in accordance with the goals and policies of the Town Master Plan so as to protect the significant characteristics of several specially identified sections of Lewisboro which encompass relatively large land areas that contain a substantial number of contiguous buildings and common landscape elements reflective of a period of Lewisboro history. Each area presents a unique setting which, for the benefit of present and future generations, can be protected while allowing for new development if detailed attention is given to the enhancement of the special characteristics.

Home Rule is very much alive in our County.... towns get sued often for Zoning issues... some hold up... some don't.

I am reviewing all local ordinances in the County.... and if you need some obscure regulation... I betcha I got it.

One town is currently trying to regulate lawn ornaments....those big blow up santas,, etc.