• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

What places do you "boycott"?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Messages
2,119
Points
28
If you read my earlier thread on Applebee's you probably know that I refuse to pay to eat at the establishment because of it's misleading commercials, contribution to the crudscape and promotion of the monoculturization of America.

This has inspired me to list all of my boycotted establishments, be they restaurants, grocery stores, or drug stores, etc. They are broken down into three groups - ranging from absolute boycott - to partial boycott, followed by my reasons for boycotting them.

ABSOLUTE BOYCOTT

T. G. I. F. Promotion of sprawl, contribution to monoculture, overpriced food

Hooter's Stuck-up waitresses and bland food - nothing contributes to the dumbing down of America more than this place. For meatheads and frat boys only.

Ruby Tuesday Marketing tactics, mall-based, contribution to monoculture, bland food

Rite-Aid Destruction of historic/buildings streetscapes, contribution to medical inflation, glorification of urban sprawl, outrageously high prices.

Outback Steakhouse Contribution to sprawl, phony-pretentious, culturally inaccurate menu.

Starbucks Contribution to monoculture, phony-pretentious atmosphere, glorification of yuppie life-style.

Chuck E Cheeze's Extremely annoying marketing style; loud, unhealthy, claustrophobic environment; over-priced food. Promotor of sprawl, monoculture, out-of-town corporate money-funnelling, and traffic congestion. These things are nothing more than oversized petri-dishes.

PARTIAL BOYCOTT - Will patronize only if no alternative is available

Wal-Mart Economic Terrorism, environmental terrorism, political corruption, glorification of urban sprawl, predatory pricing.

Wal-Greens Economic Terrorism, destruction of historic buildings/streescapes, glorification of car-culture

Adam's Mark Hotels Over-rated, over-priced hotel rooms, bad service, marketing to high-maintenance clientele. You get better service at Motel 6 for a third the price.

WISH TO BOYCOTT PLACES I WOULD LIKE TO BOYCOTT BUT DON'T BECAUSE THERE IS NO COMPETITION OR ALL THE COMPETITION IS WORTHY OF BOYCOTT TOO

National Amusements (Viacom)Monopolistic, predatory marketing practices, contribution to urban sprawl, promotion of traffic congestion, anti-pedestrian building design, promotion of intellectually and morally corrupt TV programming.

Kroger Contribution to sprawl, contribution of traffic congestion, abandonment of older stores, destruction of poor/working class neighborhoods.

Home Depot Economic Terrorism, glorification of urban sprawl, environmental terrorism, destruction of viable middle class housing.

Lowe's Glorification of urban sprawl, environmental terrorism, destruction of viable middle class housing.

I will edit this list as I think of others. Feel free to share yours or comment on mine.
 
Last edited:
Messages
3
Points
0
Super Amputee Cat wrote:

Ruby Tuesday Marketing to annoying clientele , mall-based, contribution to monoculture, bland food
You have started a potentially compelling thread, however, your lack of unbiased analysis makes you appear to be, well, how should I say this... a tad bit "emotional"? You have opened yourself up with that "annoying clientele" barb. I happen to enjoy Ruby Tuesday's, and everytime I go there, everyone is civil and minds their own business.

Are you trying to be controversial? Are purposefully spewing the polemic? Or have you just climbed out from underneath your rock long enough to see that other people other than yourself happen to live in this world?
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
Polemic-Schemmic

The following are on my *&^% list:

AAPRP - I'm old so Gimme!
ABC - Peter Jennings is a prick
Air Egypt - Fly them once an know why
All Things Considered - All liberal things considered
Anything in your face Gay - I'm happy you’re happy you’re gay now get over it
Anything made in China - Political Prisoners used for labor
Anything with a peace sign - Hippies screwed up an entire generation
ATF - for killing civilians with different beliefs than theirs.
Auto Zone - Screwed me on some parts one time
Bachman Turner Overdrive - For hearing the song TCB for three years every time I went into Office Depot
Barbra Streisand - Because
Bell South Products - ripping off consumers
Billy Graham – God's Schmarmie Shill
Blockbuster – Excess late movie charges for movies back on time
Books by crooks – Your ass should be in jail – not writing a book
Boxing – Stupid and Corrupt
Branson - Stupid and Corrupt
Britney Spears – Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt
Calvin Pissing Stickers – Tacky
Cher – Tacky
China - Stupid and Corrupt with NUKES
Chiropractors - The Associates degree version of medical school
Communist Party of America – It won’t work!
Compaq Computer Corporation – Power supply voodoo tricks!
Crack – Makes all who try it animals
Daytime TV - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt
Disney – Evil Empire
Eleanor Norton Holms - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt
Fake Spare Tires – Can’t run from the cops on one.
Firestone Tires – Tried to kill me July 4, 1999.
Florida State University Football - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt
France – Over due for an ass kicking.
Harley Davison – Loud Pipes
HBO - - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt and passed off as something sudo intellectual.
Hillary Rodham- Smart, Tacky and Corrupt
Islamic Republics – Mean and Corrupt
Jane Fonda – Traitor Bitch
Jesse Helms - Stupid, Tacky, Corrupt and Racist
Jesse Jackson - Stupid, Tacky, Corrupt and Racist
Jesse Ventura - Stupid and Tacky
John Elway – He always beat the Chiefs when it counted.
Katie Couric – Liberal America’s Sweetheart -kissed Hillary's arse
Larry Flint - Stupid, Tacky, Corrupt and exploitive
Las Vegas - Tacky, Corrupt and a waste of space
Levi Strauss – Too Liberal
Marilyn Manson - Stupid, Tacky and just butt ass ugly
Massachusetts - Corrupt and Way too liberal
Michael Moore - Asshole
Most National Media - Corrupt and Way too liberal
Movie Theater Snack Bars - $5.00 sodas
Mumia Abu-Jamal - Cop Killer
Netscape – Bad with CSS.
Newt Gingrich - Adulterer
Nike – Slave labor
NOW – Loud and Lesbochious
Oprah – Just a feeling that she will never marry Stegman.
People Who Boycott the Boy Scouts of America
Personal Injury Attorneys – Bottom feeders
Peter Jennings - PRICK
Pornography – Eeeeew!
POV – Sick and way too liberal
Primitive Baptists – Snakes don’t belong in church
Promise Keepers – To Ned Flanderish
Québec – France Light.
Rainbow-PUSH - Stupid, Corrupt and Way too liberal
Renault – French cars suck
Sears – Thieving Bastards
Serbia – Genocidal Asses
Smith & Wesson – Sell outs
Snoop Dawg –
Southwestern Bell – Piss poor service
Speedos – Because a man shouldn’t let the entire world in on his secrets
Sprint Telecommunications – Piss poor customer service
Starbucks – Enough said here already
Ted Turner – More ego than the environment can support.
The British Royal Family - Stupid, Tacky and just butt ass ugly
The Chevrolet Motor Company – 79 Malibu
The Confederate Flag - Racist, Tacky and just butt ass ugly
The Democratic Party – 8 years of Clinton
The Kennedy Family – Sell outs.
The Klu Klux Klan - Racist, Tacky and just but ass ugly
The New York Times – Too Liberal
The Oakland Raiders – I’m a Chiefs fan
The WB - Tacky
Tiger Direct Computers – Piss Poor Return Policy.
Tommy Hilfiger - Tacky
Uganda - Dangerous
United Kingdom – Racist oppressors of the Irish and others.
Visible tattoo sporting job seekers - Tacky
Wayne Newton - Tacky
Wichita Kansas – Blahhh.
William Jefferson Clinton - Corrupt and a liar.
WWF - Duh!
 

BKM

Cyburbian
Messages
6,464
Points
29
Boycotts

Damn, El Guapo. From reading these boards, I would think that the Calvin Pissing stickers would be part of your cultural heritage :)
 

kms

Cyburbian
Messages
5,846
Points
30
There is a local greenhouse here that I boycott. You would hope that people involved in "greening up" lawns and homes would be environmentally-friendly, but this place is awful. We joked that the state environmental agency could host an agency-wide training session there. I guess anyone involved in CE would be busy there, too.

We usually eat at mom and pop owned restaurants, but I do like TGIFriday's now and again.

I don't use grocery store pharmacies - I think that they use the store club card records for marketing, but shouldn't what you buy at a pharmacy be confidential?

If I were in the market to buy a house, I would boycott any new home plan.
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
BKM...

...El Guapo is an enigma to many.

KMS - I agree - Those grocery store cards are bunk - just pure marketing. People are sheep and will fall for anything.

I really do boycott places that I see as having bad business practices, doing evil things, or taking advantage of the weak, poor and/or helpless. I'm sure my personal boycott does nothing to their bottom line but I feel better for having avoided doing business with them.

I forgot to add Firestone - I owned some of their SUV tires that went Kaput on the highway.

Of all of them I hate SEARS the most. They cheated my wife out of $1000 in car repairs when I was in the Gulf War making $16,000 a year and getting my ass shot at by an entire country.
 
Messages
3,690
Points
27
audible gasp - not Katie Couric!

hee. just kidding, e.g. but did you already have that list created and alphabetized? ok, here is my ban list:

Snapple ($ to Pro-life groups)
Coors ($ to Neo Nazi groupls)
My old Hairdresser Mercedes (one really bad hair cut)
Chili's (I wish that big crate of Chili's food REALLY did fall on Joey Fatone of boy band group N-Sync in their stupid commercial)
Celine Dion
The GOP (yes- i know i'm registered for work. don't even get me started)
Bob Holly from the WWF
Any sports team from Texas (sorry to my Texas Planning friends but your evil sports franchises have put the smack down on my beloved buffalo teams (bills, sabres) too many times)
The Family Circus comic strip
Kids with baggy jeans that show their underwear
Hoyt's Cinemas (for jacking ticket prices to $9 in ALBANY, for christ sake. not even Manhattan)
Romance/Mystery author Barbara Delinski
Strom Thurmond
Pat Robertson
University Elitists
And the Granddaddy of all my bans....

Allstate Insurance who dropped me like a hot potato last week, despite my excellent credit rating, and having almost every conceivable insurance through their f***ing company. rat bastards. two stupid accidents and i'm done like the town hooker.

whew. I feel A LOT better after that rant. thanks, Cat
 
Messages
3,690
Points
27
http://www.corporations.org/coors/article.html

One of my friends in college did a report on the book "The Coors Connection". Since then I've switched brands and don't let my husband bring Coors in the house. Even though I fully realize the money to right-wing and neo-nazi groups isn't coming for Coors itself, but from the company's owners.

I will admit to having an Exxon Mobil Master Card (1% back on all purchases toward gas!) and we own lots of stock in the evil Pfizer and Merck pharmaceuticals. So although it is super hypocritical, I guess I'm only a consumer activist when it's easy.

I have to say, the results of a web search for "Coors" and "Neo-nazi" are quite interesting.
 

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Messages
2,119
Points
28
Re: Re: What places do you "boycott"?

Southwest Detroiter wrote:


You have started a potentially compelling thread, however, your lack of unbiased analysis makes you appear to be, well, how should I say this... a tad bit "emotional"? You have opened yourself up with that "annoying clientele" barb. I happen to enjoy Ruby Tuesday's, and everytime I go there, everyone is civil and minds their own business.
O.K. I changed it. Our is located in a really upscale mall and I avoid those people like the plague, but I guess there is no reason to think every Ruby Tuesday is that way. I do stand by my assertion that their food is tasteless however.
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
Sears, they lie steal and screw you over
Rap-if i wanted to be insulted for being born ill talk to my mother
Exxon-enough said
Baptist anything-YOU grow up in a southern baptist town-it sucks

Any circus that has animals
Fur-wear plastic
Any sandals resorts-wont make reservations to gay couples
Baseball anything
Flying when I can take the train

IM sure there is more give me time...
D
 

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,398
Points
32
H'mmm what's up with this. http://www.coors.com/community/diversity.asp

Ok, granted that this is company info, but I think they probably wouldn't have been given these award if there were problems like what was reported.

Then check this out:

http://www.snopes2.com/business/alliance/coors.htm


I don't drink Coors, but only because I don't generally drink a beer I can see through.

I met Peter Coors once, seemed like a nice enough guy, bought our beer if we ordered Coors. Free beer invalidates rule above!
 

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Messages
2,119
Points
28
Re: Polemic-Schemmic

El Guapo,

You have so many that I'm just going to assign a number to reflect how much I agree. 10 being the most I agree with you, 0 being the least. Blank if I don't have an opinion

El Guapo wrote:
The following are on my *&^% list:

AAPRP - I'm old so Gimme! 6
ABC - Peter Jennings is a prick 3
Air Egypt - Fly them once an know why
All Things Considered - All liberal things considered ]2
Anything in your face Gay - I'm happy you’re happy you’re gay now get over it]7
Anything made in China - Political Prisoners used for labor ]5
Anything with a peace sign - Hippies screwed up an entire generation]
ATF - for killing civilians with different beliefs than theirs.
Auto Zone - Screwed me on some parts one time
Bachman Turner Overdrive - For hearing the song TCB for three years every time I went into Office Depot
Barbra Streisand - Because]10
Bell South Products - ripping off consumers
Billy Graham – God's Schmarmie Shill]3
Blockbuster – Excess late movie charges for movies back on time ]9
Books by crooks – Your ass should be in jail – not writing a book]10
Boxing – Stupid and Corrupt]7
Branson - Stupid and Corrupt]9
Britney Spears – Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt]11 And also slut. Wait, can I say that?
Calvin Pissing Stickers – Tacky]3
Cher – Tacky ]8
China - Stupid and Corrupt with NUKES]7
Chiropractors - The Associates degree version of medical school
Communist Party of America – It won’t work!
Compaq Computer Corporation – Power supply voodoo tricks!
Crack – Makes all who try it animals]10
Daytime TV - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt]10
Disney – Evil Empire 9 THE MOUSE FROM HELL
Eleanor Norton Holms - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt
Fake Spare Tires – Can’t run from the cops on one.]1 I just got a flat and mine worked fine.
Firestone Tires – Tried to kill me July 4, 1999. ]4 I think the real problem is SUVs
Florida State University Football - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt ]10
France – Over due for an ass kicking.]6
Harley Davison – Loud Pipes]8 And they have gone Yuppie!
HBO - - Stupid, Tacky and Corrupt and passed off as something sudo intellectual.]8 as in Sex and the City.
Hillary Rodham- Smart, Tacky and Corrupt]10 and had something to do with Stephen Foster, alledgely.
Islamic Republics – Mean and Corrupt ]10
Jane Fonda – Traitor Bitch]9
Jesse Helms - Stupid, Tacky, Corrupt and Racist]9
Jesse Jackson - Stupid, Tacky, Corrupt and Racist]9
Jesse Ventura - Stupid and Tacky]2

John Elway – He always beat the Chiefs when it counted.]7
Katie Couric – Liberal America’s Sweetheart -kissed Hillary's arse]11
Larry Flint - Stupid, Tacky, Corrupt and exploitive]8
Las Vegas - Tacky, Corrupt and a waste of space]7 It was better when the mob ran it.
Levi Strauss – Too Liberal]7
Marilyn Manson - Stupid, Tacky and just butt ass ugly]8
Massachusetts - Corrupt and Way too liberal]6
Most National Media - Corrupt and Way too liberal]9
Movie Theater Snack Bars - $5.00 sodas]10
Mumia Abu-Jamal - Cop Killer]5
Netscape – Bad with CSS.]7
Newt Gingrich - Adulterer]6
Nike – Slave labor]9
NOW – Loud and Lesbochious ]8
Oprah – Just a feeling that she will never marry Stegman.]9
Personal Injury Attorneys – Bottom feeders]10
Peter Jennings - PRICK]2
Pornography – Eeeeew! ]No Comment
POV – Sick and way too liberal
Primitive Baptists – Snakes don’t belong in church
Promise Keepers – To Ned Flanderish]3
Québec – France Light.]3
Rainbow-PUSH - Stupid, Corrupt and Way too liberal
Renault – French cars suck
Sears – Thieving Bastards]6
Serbia – Genocidal Asses
Smith & Wesson – Sell outs
Snoop Dawg –
Southwestern Bell – Piss poor service
Speedos – Because a man shouldn’t let the entire world in on his secrets
Sprint Telecommunications – Piss poor customer service
Starbucks – Enough said here already]10
Ted Turner – More ego than the environment can support.]9
The British Royal Family - Stupid, Tacky and just butt ass ugly
The Chevrolet Motor Company – 79 Malibu
The Confederate Flag - Racist, Tacky and just butt ass ugly
The Democratic Party – 8 years of Clinton]9
The Kennedy Family – Sell outs.
The Klu Klux Klan - Racist, Tacky and just but ass ugly]10
The New York Times – Too Liberal
The Oakland Raiders – I’m a Chiefs fan
The WB - Tacky ]10
Tiger Direct Computers – Piss Poor Return Policy.
Tommy Hilfiger - Tacky]10
Uganda - Dangerous
United Kingdom – Racist oppressors of the Irish and others.]4
Visible tattoo sporting job seekers - Tacky
Wayne Newton - Tacky
Wichita Kansas – Blahhh.
William Jefferson Clinton - Corrupt and a liar.]10
WWF - Duh!]9
 

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Messages
6,377
Points
29
WHHAA hold the press someone boycotts porn?

isnt that what the net is FOR?

Ok im a dead duck I support gay rights, and i like freedom of press. ALL press.

D
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
PlannerGirl

I don't personally support porn – I believe it is a degradation of a person’s basic humanity. I do, however, agree that it should fall under the protection of the 1st Amendment along with many other offensive forms of speech. I wouldn’t use the services of a prostitute but I don’t believe the trade should be outlawed – just regulated for health reasons.

I don’t smoke weed, but I don’t think it should be outlawed either. However, if a stonner kills my family because they are driving stoned – I’d like the option of chopping the stoned driver up with a hand axe in the style of a Quentin Tarantino Movie.

I don't support things that I believe are wrong. However not all wrong things should be illegal. For instance, I personally think abortion is simple murder - not based on any religion but on my own reasoning. But I also don't see where the constitution prohibits abortion either.

So if someone wants to be pro-choice – I’ll respect that. But if they get an abortion don’t expect me to applaud. I have a right to personally hold the opinion that they are a murderer. I know this mix of non-traditional opinions is strange coming from a conservative, but I try to be as strict a constitutionalist as I can be. perhaps I'm more of a libertarian than I know. Even stranger - I believe even the ACLU is good thing – taken in moderation.

 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
Re: Re: What places do you "boycott"?

Southwest Detroiter wrote:


You have started a potentially compelling thread, however, your lack of unbiased analysis makes you appear to be, well, how should I say this... a tad bit "emotional"? You have opened yourself up with that "annoying clientele" barb. I happen to enjoy Ruby Tuesday's, and everytime I go there, everyone is civil and minds their own business.

Are you trying to be controversial? Are purposefully spewing the polemic? Or have you just climbed out from underneath your rock long enough to see that other people other than yourself happen to live in this world?
Be controversial. You are stating an opinion, not a fact. If you want to be emotional about it, do so. With that, here is my list:

Because of very poor service, often more than once:
- Auto Zone - should have fixed it myself
- Office Max - its unopened, return it
- Best Buy - wait, wait, wait for someone who knows less about the product than I do
- Country Kitchen - if you have a brunch buffet, have food in it
- Shoneys - I was in your restaurant, did anyone notice?

Because of their business practices:
- Walgreens - evil, the antithesis of all I believe in - I once worked for the company!
- Exxon - oiling seals is bad.

They just suck:
- Kmart - still selling the same tired merchandise they had when I got my first job there in 1983, all in a shabby flea market atmosphere.
- Disney - comic book reality
- The Chicago Bears. Go Pack!
 

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,398
Points
32
I can only think of one place that I would boycott, and that is the car dealer that sold me a car and a month later tryed to grossley overcharge me for repairs. For land sakes, I do have a phone and know how to use it. I called 3 other Ford dealers and their price was $180 lower for the same repair.


Upon reflecting on this thread, I made a note not to piss off El Guapo, he keeps a list and likes weapons.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
You'd only know them if you've been to the great northwest....

But, I boycott G.I. Joe's... purely for personal reasons.

Back when I lived in the woods, had long hair, and a real bad attitude, about eight of their staff jumped on my ass in the store for being a bit loud and obnoxious. No kidding. Before they got me in handcuffs, several of them were bleeding, and one needed several stitches from a nasty bite.

They locked me in an office where I promptly dialed 911 (with my hands behind my back!), and told the police I was being held against my will. Imagine their surprise when the police got there before they called them...

The cops made them let me go, but weren't a bit pleased with my happy-go-lucky attitude on the way out.
 

petrushka

Cyburbian
Messages
30
Points
2
Boycott

Chances are, with me, if it lies outside of the spheres of art, architecture, and science, I haven't the slightest interest. I choose to simply ignore rather than boycott.
 

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Messages
443
Points
13
Being a 'bear of little brain' (as my sister jokes about my degree) and of just as little experience, I don't have many grudges and I try not to hate countries because it would be confusing the government with the people. Having said that:

  1. Arafat and Sharon both deserve having their arses kicked - they are both former soldiers secure in the knowledge that they no longer need to do the dirty work or put themselves in danger because other people will do it for them
  2. George W. Bush (not that Al Gore was that much better, but come on, guys! Your beloved leader is a moron who could land us all in WWIII)
  3. Not to mention overarching, international politics that hold one law for the 'West' and another for the rest of the world
  4. Tony Blair - he's not too bad but he doesn't reflect my views or anybody else's that I know for that matter - and the rest of UK New Labour and Conservatives, i.e. the major political parties
  5. Homogeneous, large chain, big brand anything that prevents local culture/identity developing or being reflected
  6. By the same token, I have a dislike of the English because it is still part of their cultural identity to impose empire and the rest of it, although they are currently going through a bit of an identity crisis while trying to discover a new defining characteristic. I hasten to add that I get on with people okay, I just not fond of the political/military/en masse actions.
  7. Extreme, right wing, nationalistic movements. I can understand people feeling threatened by new-comers (and why such feelings are becoming wide-spread in the EU). I can't understand using it as an excuse for violence.
    [/list=1]

    At this point, I'd like to make it clear that I am a British citizen, which means that I'm technically an immigrant in Britain because I was born outside the country (despite both my parents and 3 of my grandparents being born in England, and 1 in Wales).
 

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Messages
1,046
Points
24
Boy this is one cranky bunch. I thought you liberal planners were supposed to be eternal optimists, looking for the good wherever you can find it. I understand El Guapo's list and to that I simply say "Dittos."

I tend not to use the word boycott in my everyday language, way too radical for me.

Anyone against Chuckie Cheese surely does not have kids. But the place is always so damn dirty.

But if I were to boycott....these would make the list:

Democratic fundraisers
Anti-Globalization Protest marches (well, any protest march really)
All Things Considered (except Daniel Schor because I think he sounds like Cub broadcasting great Harry Carry)
Televised Award shows
NBA
Frasier (Its simply not funny)

i am not being a wise ass, but what exactly is Economic Terrorism, and please give me an unbiased, non-agenda driven example.


Same goes for the "monoculturization" of America.

oh, and I like the english. face it, America has fewer and fewer friends these days, but the Brits will always stand by our side.
 
Messages
3,690
Points
27
Yeah, I saw the Urban Legend Stuff against Coors. However, since it is just as easy for me to boycott their product as consume it, and the stuff about their Castle Rock Foundation is smarmy, my boycott stands.

I love NPR, and much to my husband's dismay, am a Prarie Home Companion nut. However, I conceed that there really is quite the liberal slant to a lot of their reporting.

I also love the gays, have quite a few in the family. However, I'm not a fan of the gays who are really just insanely over the top (leather chaps, nipple clamps, feather boas) at the grocery store and claim that "people just have to accept them" when all they are really doing is provoking people to get a reaction.

I'm also pro-choice - never had one my self, but some of my family and friends have, and it was the worst, most god awful decision they've ever had to make. I just wish they'd never had to be in that situation in the first place, especially since the majority had been using responsible protection.

Jo, I'm with you on every single one of your points.

Oh. And I'm putting the Pope on my ban list too. Even though he was nice enough to send a blessing for my grandparent's 50 wedding anniversary, I disagree with his opinions on birth control, priest celibacy, ordination of women, etc etc etc

E.G. I'm with you on the other 90% of your list. Down with The Mouse!
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
Good Point About the UK

The UK thing is a love-hate relationship for me. I'm too well versed in the history of Ireland to love the UK unconditionally. On the other hand we do enjoy a “special relationship” with them that I value. I don’t hate the people at all. But, let’s face it. The people are ultimately responsible for their government in a democracy. You have had how many hundreds of years of democracy over there to do the right thing in Ireland and you can’t seem to get it done.

And on a personal note; I’ll always remember how customs in the UK screwed with me for two hours because of my Irish surname (It was obvious I was American). Grudges have been carried longer for less.

PS I’m married to an Indian. They didn’t much care for the Empire's occupation either.
 
Messages
3,690
Points
27
hee. George - I don't mind Garrison singing, reminds me of my great uncle Harland who hauls out his guitar and harmonica at ALL family gatherings and sings in his sweet shaky old man's voice.

kelly
 

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Messages
2,119
Points
28
Anyone against Chuckie Cheese surely does not have kids. But the place is always so damn dirty.
I have two kids but would refuse to take them there. (Or at least
pay to take them there.) You seem to be reaffirming my assertion that the place is a petri-dish

i am not being a wise ass, but what exactly is Economic Terrorism, and please give me an unbiased, non-agenda driven example.
My understanding of Economic Terrorism is the process of degrading the quality of life of cities, towns, and villages, all in the name of "economic development." Big corporations promote their agenda of big profits - all under the guise of economic development - at any cost, no matter who is hurt in the process.

Say, a big box developer comes to town, greases up the local politicians by saying how many jobs it will create (failing to mention how many will be subtracted when the localcompetition
is wiped out). The politicians buy into it through zoning changes, street improvements, tax abatements, etc. Meanwhile, the quality of life in the neighborhoods surrounding the development - if not outright destroyed through eminment domain - is severely degraded through increased traffic congestion, pullution, noise, crime, etc. City services - already strained - are streched ever further through more street and sewer maintenance and less taxes to pay for them because of all the abatements given to out-of-town fatcats. Further, more money is funnelled out of the city because of the proliferation of these out-of-town corporate big-wigs.

In other cases, powerful corporations like Dahmler-Chrysler will often pit cities against each other to see who will offer the best tax abatements, threatening to leave if they don't get millions. This happened in my hometown. If that isn't economic terrorism, I don't know what is.

I wrote more on economic terrorism on this forum when it was still in the old format. I will try and find the link and post it here.

Same goes for the "monoculturization" of America.
C'mon, GK, look around you! All you see are the same big box stores, fast food fry pits, suburban tract houses, office parks, hotels, car dealerships, jive-plastic condo's, cell-towers, video stores, strip-shopping centers, tanning salons, grocery stores, home improvement stores, malls, and gas stations, at every interchange or four lane highway in almost every large city. You could be in Des Moines, Athens. Georgia, or Berlin. It all is looking more and more the same.
 
Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,624
Points
34
My short list

...also may be edited later:

Northwest (aka Northworst) Airlines
Sears
Citibank (although they seem to have a hand in everything)
General Motors, especially Pontiac
Clarion hotels and all their affiliated names
Milwaukee County Transit
Ponderosa steak house
Red Lobster
 

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Messages
1,046
Points
24
Cat:

I will get back to you on those bigger issues, gotta run to a meeting.

Bottom line: You are right, chuckie cheese is a pit.
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,903
Points
35
Sigh...

I'm not much into organized "boycotts" as there always seems to be two sides to every story, and the truth can easily get lost (witness the Coors/neo-nazi thing)...but I firmly believe in "voting" with my feet/wallet, and supporting those things I believe in, while shunning those I don't - for instance I'll always shop downtown over the suburbs, and try to support smaller, independent businesses over large conglomerates (especially when it comes to beer...)

Air Canada - Canada's Airline monopoly

Indigo/Chapters - Canada's bookselling "monopoly".

China - the political system/forced labour thing.

Disney - enough has already been said.

Roman Catholic Church (even though I'm getting married in one). Actually, organized religion in general tends to rub me the wrong way - I don't have a problem with people who enjoy their faith, but I'm not a big fan of any institution which tells me how to live my live, or tells me I should hate/look down on others because they are not of my faith...

I've become so much of a cynic that I tend to take any information I hear/see/experience with a grain of salt. I hate tacky/cheesy pop culture icons, and try not to pay attention to most trends.

As to the "English Problem", I have to say that as a Canadian of Scottish/English heritage I don't go in for the football hooligans, Rule Britannia, the Royal Family, etc., but I have no qualms about my heritage. I think every country has some skeletons in the closet, including Canada and the U.S.

Can't we all just get along?
 

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Messages
443
Points
13
The British

gkmo62u wrote:
oh, and I like the english. face it, America has fewer and fewer friends these days, but the Brits will always stand by our side.
<Cynic> It's amazing what a good dose of fear will do.</Cynic>
Honestly, the good old US of A is one of the few countries that the UK in general and the English in particular will admit have defeated us, history being subjective and all. On top of that, there's the political climate. The UK, having royally (is that a pun?) screwed over the Commonwealth and the Scandinavians (who invited us to join their proto- union/league/alliance/whatever in 1988) to join the EC/EU, don't actually like being associated with Europe (I'm in favour of it all, personally). And the USA is the biggest and as far as we know the best armed country, as well as nosey and enjoying throwing it's weight around when it thinks other countries are in the wrong. (Look out, at this rate you could be the next Britain!)

El Guapo wrote:
And on a personal note; I’ll always remember how customs in the UK screwed with me for two hours because of my Irish surname (It was obvious I was American). Grudges have been carried longer for less.
Actually, you probably got held up for a combination of three reasons (from their point of view):
1) The stereotype: You're a damn annoying American tourist who's come over here to talk poor English in a loud voice and be touchy-feely all over the place (and please refrain from shoving hands in people's faces and being lewd and crude as on Jerry Springer).
2) The heritage: Not to mention that you're probably financing you IRA relatives back in the 'old' country, just because your great grandfather's cousin's barber's brother's guard dog's stand-in (ref. to Cuchulain if you're interested) was an Irishman that emigrated during the Famine.
3) The hell of it: Custom's officials (along with the military and the police) have been known to stop people just for the power rush. If they're feeling really good, they unload a car, take it to pieces and then watch the owners or the local mechanic put it all back together.

PS I’m married to an Indian. They didn’t much care for the Empire's occupation either.
Hmmm. Great the way our ancestors mistakes (the empire) keep turning up and biting us in the behind. That was probably reason no. 4, as well: bringing in yet more of those *insert uncomplementary asian reference of choice here* into the country.

On behalf of my nation(s), I apologise. We're pretentious, shallow, stupid bigots. (Hmmm, sounds like some other nations I know..)
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
Did I hit a nerve?

As an American who has lived, worked and traveled across the world I am used to being constantly reminded of what enormous asses we are by all of the "civilized" countries. So Very Sorry.

However, I stand by my assertions about the UK has been a bad actor on the world stage at times. If I personally had to answer for the historical crimes of the US or the UK – I’d take ours in a heartbeat. I guess I'm not an Anglophile.

Ok getting back to my original problem with your beloved UK:
But, let’s face it. The people are ultimately responsible for their government in a democracy. You have had how many hundreds of years of democracy over there to do the right thing in Ireland and you can’t seem to get it done.
Is this not still a problem? What about it?
 

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Messages
443
Points
13
Re: Did I hit a nerve?

With regards to the Irish problem, there's a lot of history and as I don't live there I can't presume to answer for how the Irish feel about it, although it makes absolutely no sense to me why a minority of people is keeping it in the UK. However, what I do know is:
There wasn't a united Ireland until (IIRC) the Tudor times
The English (as Anglo-Normans) have been involved in Irish politics from William II-ish when they used it as a dumping ground for the Marcher Lords (Welsh border) who misbehaved.
The curent division of Ireland is as a result of the descendants of Scottish (protestants) regiments and their families who were posted in Ireland to keep the peace not accepting an independant Ireland and begging the UK (English) government to come back.

As a Brit., that small corner of the 'empire' has cost more than it's worth and ought to be thrown back (i.e. devolve back to Ireland) if the Ulstermen can stop being so argumentative (historically the most troubled clans/areas in Ireland)

El Guapo wrote:
And another thing: Hugh Grant? Please.
Sorry, he's the USA's responsibility as your idea of an Englishman....
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,903
Points
35
When a country gets as powerful as the U.S., it all to easily becomes the target of those who are jealous, scared, or just don't plain agree. At least the U.S. is an open democracy.

Civilization is evolving - yes, the British did some very bad things - just as other civilizations through the ages have done. However, the point is that future generations learn from those mistakes, and try to make sure they don't happen again. While I look back and cringe with horror at such things as slavery, the expulsion of the Acadians, and the treatment of native americans we must remember that we have the benefit of hindsight. Many of those events were seen as proper treatment of peoples seen as "inferior", not just by the British, but by all "western" nations/cultures. Pinning the blame on modern Britain is not entirely fair.
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
It is happening TODAY

Every day, including today, the UK is denying basic human rights to the Irish in NI. Name a black neighborhood in the US where the Klan could march and the cops would look the other way while the Klan murdered people and burnt things down? Substitute the Orange Orders for the Klan and Irish Catholics for Black and you have the current situation there. State sponsored terrorism of a local populace.

We have gone a long way towards cleaning up our sin of slavery in the US. The UK routinely denies justice to Irish accused of working with or for the IRA. They torture and extract confessions from people to this day. Check Amnesty International's lists of UK sins. They deny jobs, real estate and participation in government programs based upon ethnicity and religion.

Sorry - These are not the sins of the past. This is everyday.

And we are looking the other way because "such a polite people couldn't possibly be that cruel."

Journeymouse and I must have read different histories of the land. But this I know, those Ulstermen carry a UK passport and vote for members of the UK parliament.
 

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Messages
443
Points
13
Re: It is happening TODAY

El Guapo wrote:
Journeymouse and I must have read different histories of the land. But this I know, those Ulstermen carry a UK passport and vote for members of the UK parliament.
Yes to both. Although the Sinn Fein (sp?) members refused to enter the houses of parliament until this session (2001/2002). The history is bound to be different, as I will have been reading/learning the English version having been to school in England. El Guapo is more likely to have an objective version of the histry than I, although possibly with 'Irish' leanings.
One of the great things about the USA in my admittedly limited experience is that because of the mixed heritage (hopefully that isn't an insult) the nation as a whole is quite objective about other nations' histories.
 

el Guapo

Capitalist
Messages
5,984
Points
29
Truce Journeymouse?

Sorry about the Hugh Grant thing - That was a cheap shot on my part.
 

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Messages
10,080
Points
34
El Guapo - you quoting Amnesty International! What next, the ACLU?

As for the Irish issue, we've got to realize it isn't entirely one-sided. Car bombs are not a solution. The British have a long way to go, but then so do we with Native Americans.
 

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Messages
2,119
Points
28
Economic Terrorism

As promised, here is a link to the old forum showing my response to a thread about Economic Development in which I offer my arguement that most of it is just "economic terrorism"

http://web.archive.org/web/20000929162458/cyburbia.ap.buffalo.edu/pairc/wwwboard_messages_planning_peeves/297.html

BTW, I thought of another Boycotted restaurant. I can't believe I didn't think of this before:

Hooter's Stuck-up waitresses and bland food - nothing contributes to the dumbing down of America more than this place. For meatheads and frat boys only.
 

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,398
Points
32
Re: Economic Terrorism

Super Amputee Cat wrote:

Hooter's Stuck-up waitresses and bland food - nothing contributes to the dumbing down of America more than this place. For meatheads and frat boys only.
Oh, now I have to disagree, where else can you get a cold Guiness, and an order of great wings. I have mixed results on the wait staff, I have had some of the nicest, and some of the most stuck up.

I love Hooters.......and the restrauant too
 

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,878
Points
38
My short list

Walmart
Rite Aid
Home Depot
United Airlines
The New York Yankees
The Los Angeles Lakers
The Montreal Canadiens
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
17,682
Points
57
Re: Re: It is happening TODAY

[hijack

Journeymouse wrote:
One of the great things about the USA in my admittedly limited experience is that because of the mixed heritage (hopefully that isn't an insult) the nation as a whole is quite objective about other nations' histories.
I would say that's true, for the most part. Americans as a whole are surprisingly objective about their own existence, too -- at least that's my opinion. Despite our oft-overly patriotic collective ramblings, we're painfully aware of transgressions such as broken treaties with Native Americans, slavery, mistreatment of certain immigrant groups through time (primarily the Irish, Italians, Chinese and Mexicans), internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II, evangelistic foreign policy of the time from WWII to the end of the Cold War, and so on. I don't think there's a nation that is more collectively self-critical than the United States.

I know someone will chime in and say "we hardly know anything about the history of other nations." Consider that there's about 190 independent states on the planet (probably more. In the U.S. primary and secondary education system, the emphasis of history classes tends to focus on North America (of course), Europe, and South America. I doubt schoolkids in ... oh, let's say France, are more versed in the the intracacies of politics and culture in Sri Lanka or Bhutan than their American counterparts.

[hijack]
 

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Messages
443
Points
13
Re: Truce Journeymouse?

El Guapo wrote:
Sorry about the Hugh Grant thing - That was a cheap shot on my part.
No worries, he's a cheap shot in just about anybody's view... And yup, let's truce.
 

Jen

Cyburbian
Messages
1,704
Points
25
  • Capri pants
  • Thong wear
  • Botox parties
  • Popeyes Chicken off the 2-94 expwy in Chicago
  • Christian Reformed Church
  • Catholic church
  • Disco (except soundtrack from Saturday Night Fever)
 
Top