• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What programs are on your computer?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Being that I am looking at getting a new personal laptop for home use, I am wondering what programs would I like to get for it. I thought maybe get a GIS viewer, Photo Shop, and Office XP Pro. But then I wondered about what other planners had on their home computers, *or would like to have.

What programs would you put on your personal computer?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
at home: just the basics that come with most out of the box PC

at work: Win2000, GIMP, MSoffice, Exporler, but alas must go to a community computer to access Photoshop, on one, and Acrview on another.

boiker

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Let me be the first to say:
  • Firewall
  • AntiVirus
let me be second to say, there are excellent freeware versions of antivirus and firewall on the net. www.avast.com.

also i have photoshop 7.0, office xp, sim city 4, adaware (free, removes tracking software), spyware blaster (free, prevents tracking software), spybot (free, removes tracking software) the anti-tracking software removes cookies and other programs like GAIN, gator, comet curser, or other invasive software. trillian for instant messaging.

that's it

ludes98

Cyburbian
boiker said:
trillian for instant messaging.

DITTO! Best IM software available. I love having all chat available in one window!!

Me:XP Pro, Powertoys XP, Firebird (Browser), Ad Aware, Norton Firewall and AV, Acrobat 6.0, Photoshop 7.0, Office 2000, Easy CD creator, I-Tunes, Winamp, ACDSee, Battlefield 1942, Uru, UT 2003.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
XP Pro, Office XP, Photoshop 7, Pagemaker 6.5, InDesign 2.0, iTunes, Iomega Hotburn, and Sim City 3000 Unlimited. Oh, yeah, and The Sims Deluxe. Used to have GeoMedia, but took it off. And Palm OS 2 for syncing. It's a pretty full little laptop, and I don't use all of that stuff all the time. And Norton Antivirus, that's a must, especially if you go wireless. Wireless without firewalls and antivirus killed the computer once (got a worm, had to have a new hard drive).

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
A lot of stuff on my machine...but this is less than I used to have:

Xp Pro
Office XP
AIM
WinAmp
Kazaa
SimCity 4
Half Life (with Counter-Strike mod)
Norton Firewall
Symantic Anti Virus
Acrobat 6.0
Yahoo Popup blocker
Linksys Wireless Manager
Windows Media Player
Quicktime
Real One
etc....

Honestly though...I only have programs that I use at least on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
WinME
Macromedia's Dreamweaver/Flash/Fireworks
Microsoft Office with PowerPoint
AOL IM
Outlook Express
ArcView
The Sims
SimCity 3000
Star Trek: Away Team
Camera/Scanner software (ArcSoft crap)
Adobe Acrobat 4.0
WS_FTP
Palm and AvantGo (planetizen updates for those "down" times)
Winamp
Yahoo! Messenger
PaintShop Pro
Quicken
Norton SystemWorks/Internet Utilities
Turbo Tax (only until I get my $ back, then it goes away)

:-( used to have the Adobe publishing suite but a reformat was the end of those days

XP
yahoo messenger and whatever I need to view the internet and get mail with our provider
same for our old provider, whom we haven't yet ditched
color cop
tagchecker
microsoft office
Paint
a zillion bookmarks
Norton (of course)
Quicken
versacheck
drivers for my scanner, my wide-format printer, and whatever other stuff I use
---
before my hard drive died I had (some will go back on, some won't):
acrobat
Nero cd burner
whatever software I needed for uploading pictures from my digital camera
Simcity 3000 (Simcity 4 is on hubby's computer -- it is incompatible with my video driver)

3 different kinds of astrology software, two "amateur" and one professional. The professional one will go back on my computer when I find the #%*( code for it but the other stuff probably will not.

and probably other stuff that I am not remembering at the moment
--
what will go on at some point:
Free GIS -- probably GRASS burned to a disc with gissix (a Linux -type thing, as I understand it). GRASS is not fully compatible with XP and I asked around and this is probably my best solution. I haven't gotten around to burning the disc yet.

I will probably also look into what to do about my e-mail situation: either buy more online storage or get a different program that can be backed up properly. Or both. I do a lot of stuff via e-mail, etc, and it kind of hurts when I lose a lot of e-mail. It isn't "tragic" yet, but when I have a full blown business, it will matter a whole lot more. I will also look over some freeware that can download e-mails to a rough data-base format.

I am sure I am overlooking something.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Forgetting about the small stuff, I have Microsoft XP Pro and Office XP Pro; Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design and Acrobat; Corel Draw and PhotoPaint, ArcView 3.1, and Sonic Foundry Video Factory

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
XP and XP Office PRO, AutoCAD 2004 Land and Civil; ArcMap 8.x, Adobe and Adobe Illustrator, VPN connection stuff to link ot work (god I love that), Kazaa, typical firewall and antivirus stuff, a funky little program that will play my office vioce mail thru my PC speaker at home when I log in, Civilization Call to Power (okay Im a CIV junkie), radio@netscape, MS Money, Turbo Taxes for tha past few years, and a few other games like Star Fleet Command (geek) and Star Fleet Orion Pirates (uber geek) Maybe I oughta stop there... ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Among the most used ....

XP
Office 2000
AutoCad 2000
Smart FTP
mkwAct
FLAC Frontend
Bit Torrent
Polar Precision 4.0
Exact Audio Copy
Feurio

jordanb

Cyburbian
At home, Debian GNU/Linux with (the just the most frequently used major applications) Mozilla, Gimp, emacs, xmms (sound system), xine (dvds), LaTeX (desktop publishing), ssh to connect to my server, and gaim (trillian is based this).

At work, Windows 2000 (best windows ever, imho), with Office, Corel, Mozilla Firebird (shhh ;-)), groupwise (Novell version of outlook) and SPSS.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
MSOffice2000, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, AIM, Adaptec Easy CD Creator. No programs that would be useful for planning (not much "use" to a student teacher), although GIS sounds interesting; I might give it a look in the summer, after other things are settled. My university actually had some sort of GIS training course or conference or something last summer. I used to have Norton Internet Security, until the frequent cutting off of my Internet access was traced back to it: I finally figured it out when it got to the point that I could connect when I turned Norton off/disabled Norton, and was immediately cut off when I enabled Norton. After this happened every time I tested it over multiple days, and the guy from Comcast checked my comp and confirmed it, I uninstalled it. He recommended grisoft and some other downloadable antivirus software, but they all turned out to be .zip files, and my track record of never, ever successfully downloading a zip program (like Winzip) held. I just downloaded, installed, and tested avast (thanks Boiker!) and it looks good. :-D