• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What Sports Are You Good At?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
As I wind-down my chemo treatments and get back in good physical shape, I recently challenged a co-worker to ping pong. I have always been pretty decent in "pong". We will play for "Rolling Rock" beer in spring.

I have also been a good basketball player and, until my treatments started last July, played regularly all year long....fast-break full-court in the winter (inside) and half-court in the heat of the summer. I plan on being back on the court in......hopefully.....six (6) weeks.

However.....if any of my co-workers were to challenge me to just about any other sport or physical activity (such as snow-ski) I would FAIL miserably. So, I wander thru the later part of my life happy that I'm good at two (2) sports.

My son, a great golfer, wants me to take golf lessons. I will, eventually, when the ball stops going thru the hoop.

What sports are you good at? If a friend were to challenge you in ten (10) sports and you each picked five (5), could you hold your own?

Bear Lacing On The Black Converse Hi-Tops

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
All of the following when I was so much younger
Sailing - single / no crew circuit race in a AMF Sunfish
Downhill Skiing - long boards 195cm - slalom or gs
Orienteering - old fashion way with map & compass - gps was not invented

Now
Bicycle - I am not a road or mountain bike racer at all :-$
Walking - just makes me :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Sports I'm good at, hmmmm:

1. Fishing
2. Bowling
3. Darts (was good at jarts until that freak accident;))
4. Ping-pong
5. Target shooting

I'm probally leaving out a few, such as professional paper, rocks, scissors which still is not reconized by most of the professional sports world. We have a long battle ahead before we can get into the Olympics;).

Budgie

Cyburbian
Used to be

1. BMX ground freestyle (won contests, wasn't much into the half pipe thing, I like my wheels on the ground)
2. Darts (I can shoot with some of the best, especially after a few beers)
3. Baseball (pitcher, outfielder)
4. Football (played right offensive tackle, I was small (180 lbs) but could hit like a mutha.
5. Played B-ball in high school and intermurals in college.
6. Fishing (Is this a sport)
7. Golf (I'm not bad considering I play only twice a year)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
6. Fishing (Is this a sport)
You bet it is. I usually do better at freshwater fishing than saltwater though. Only been deep sea fishing a few times and hardly caught anything. Been to both the Atlantic and Pacific for that.

The best fishing though is carp fishing. Grab a can of corn and some beer and head done to some river or lake. Hooking a 20 or 30 pound carp is something not to be reckoned with. I've also accidental caught a snapping turtle before and once a water moccasion.

el Guapo

Capitalist
1. Distance marksmanship 100 to 300 meters. (I was good enough I could have gone pro at one point in my life. - No money in it though)
2. Cycling - I'm not a racer but I can ride without killing anyone else or myself...so far.
3. There is no third sport I am good at. I used to be great at raquetball in the 80's.

eG, you and me both: I can't list 3 either.

1) Archery -- the only person to get an A in it in college in the memory of the coach and the only person in my class who could hit the bull's eye from the farthest distance we trained at (most couldn't hit the target from that distance).
2) Gymnastics. I am still quite limber because of it.

I don't think of walking as a sport. I used to walk a LOT. At one point, I was doing 6 miles, 2 to 3 times per week, and shorter distances on other days -- in the Mojave Desert, with a camelback full of water, after sundown so the temps would drop to 100 or even 98. And the coyotes would come out to play. B-)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
1. Shooting
2. Fishing
3. Hiking / Backpacking (I do more weight and distance than most people I know.)
4. Kayacking and canoeing (again, distance)
5. Cycling (used to do 50+ miles, three times a week in college)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
1. Baseball is my favorite sport but I'm better at:
2. Basketball,
3. Golf (the challange)
4. Drinking freinds under the table.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I bet I can speed-read any of you guys under the table...

Sports, well, I may not be really good, but I was able to teach my son to throw/hit/kick/pass a ball, play tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball, billiards, ping-pong, etc. Best sport as a mom: billiards, I guess.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
played D-1 Soccer
better baseball player, though no scholarship was offered, so soccer it was.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I bet I can speed-read any of you guys under the table...
I did that one year in high school to get out of a study hall. I maxed out at 1700 werds per minnit.

H

Cyburbian
I am good at balance oriented sports like; skiing (water and snow), biking, running, surfing, rock climbing, repeling, canoeing, kayaking, etc...

But if it involves a ball.... forget it. 8-|

jmf

Cyburbian
1) rugby
2) canoeing/kayaking
3) I used to good at tennis, but haven't played for a long time

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I am not really too coordinated, so there are not many eye-hand coordinated sports I can do well, but I can row and show dogs.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Am I good at any sports? Well, I'm a champ at the spectator ones.

H said:
I am good at balance oriented sports like; skiing (water and snow), biking, running, surfing, rock climbing, repeling, canoeing, kayaking, etc...

But if it involves a ball.... forget it. 8-|
That's it. I've finally decided that you and I must be related some way - I'm going to have to have a long talk with my dad next time I'm home. ;-)

I played varsity basketball, ran track and played a lot of church league softball back in high school but was never really that good at the sports that involved throwing, hitting and/or dribbling a ball. I'd much prefer to be out skiing (water...I've only been out on the snow a couple of times), surfing, repeling, 12oz curls, and those other activites listed above.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1. Skiing
2. Snowboarding
3. Rock Climbing
4. Football
5. Hockey
6. Mountain Biking
7. Golf (once I get over my fear of the tee box)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Can this be determined / judged at the Midwest Laefest?
YES!

LADIEEEEEES and Gentlemen, Welcome to THHHHHEEEEEEEEE MAAAAAIN EVENT.

On this side of the table, although he does not have a 6 pack, he does have the full keg, we got BUUUUUUDGIE CHERRING CROWD)

On the OPPOSITE side of the table, named after a drunk city, we got RIIIIICHHHMOOONNNND JAKE! (CHERING CROWD)

The match to be held in BEAUTIFUL DOWNTOWN CHICAGO at their bar of choice, on June 13, 2004

You announcer/ judge will be the Upper Michigan Man/ Irish Frat Boy/ and Cold Weather Extreme Sports Bum, and man who has shot gunned and keg stood his way though college… MMMMIIIIICHAAALLLLSSSSKIIIIISSSS.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I guess I'm good at a couple:

Basketball - don't have a very good jump shot, but I can lay-up and rebound pretty well (It helps being 6'1" and 220lbs)

Kayaking - especially sea kayaking, I can't wait for the chance to whitewater

Cycling - I don't road race or get to the trails often, but I could certainly compete at an urban bike messenger race. I have not known many people with the guts to go flat out on Chicago city streets.

Soccer - it's been a long time but would love to get back onto the field. You want to get into shape fast, play soccer.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Now:

Golf (I'll play more now that I'm single again)...usually shoot mid 80's
Baseball (I'm thinking about playing in the over 30 league this summer)

Then:

Football - was an all state DT
Tennis - too many ankle sprains, don't play much anymore.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I was a pretty good wrestler in HS, but better at soccer. Sat the bench for a DIII school then played in an indoor league until recent knee problems made it too painful.

Still am the best whiffle ball pitcher anywhere. You can not hit my riser and my curve will buckle your knees.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have never been good at traditional sports. Probably because I lost all interest in participating in them around 8th grade. However I was a decent skateboarder back in the day. I am a pretty good skiier (downhill and xc). I was pretty decent at BMX Freestyle before I discovered skateboarding.

Budgie

Cyburbian
How could I forget?

My best sport is football (soccer). I played in british school leagues for 5 years. And played in an adult league (over 25) in Texas. I've got some serious ball handling skills. I grew up learning how to dribble and juggle tennis balls. If you can control a tennis ball, a soccer ball is easy.

Budgie said:
I've got some serious ball handling skills.
God, that would be such a cheap shot, now wouldn't it? (Me thinks I need more sleep. Defnitely going back to sleep ...soon, I hope.)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Not sure where I'll be in June but I'm up for the challange.
You guys are both going down, I'll drink you both under the table while playing a game of jarts;):b:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Rumpy Tunanator said:
You guys are both going down, I'll drink you both under the table while playing a game of jarts;):b:
Thems fighting words. You couldn't carry my mug. :b:

Budgie

Cyburbian
Challenge turned legend.

RichmondJake said:
Thems fighting words. You couldn't carry my mug. :b:
RichmondJake, Tuna and Budgie.

OK, do we need a fourth?

Quarters, 3-man, 1 card, what drinking game do you want to play?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm not 'good' at any sport (like where I could compete regularly). I'm decent at tennis and racquetball, and can do okay with volleyball and badminton. My worst sport is basketball... I'm a really good roller skater, but only passable at in-line.

martini

Cyburbian
In HS I was a pretty fast sprinter. I made it to the sectional finals a few years. I also played basketball then and in college Intramurals. I was ok, probably coulda walked on the varsity team in college. at 6'5", I have/had a pretty good jump, and a long reach as well. Can't stand baseball, plus I sucked at it, so that was alright. Like H though, I'm best as balance sports. I've been cycling for 90% of my life. I picked up snowboarding pretty quickly. Rock climbing is fun.

I've been getting into ultimate frisbe lately too, though I find I'm REALLY out of shape playing it! I can throw a disc with either hand, and have pretty good aim with them too.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Define "good"?

I lace up the skates once a week and play hockey - I wouldn't say I'm amazing on the ice, but I do alright.

I play golf in the summer, but not as much as I'd like. On a good day, I'll break 100 (on a par 72 course).

I used to play squash a few years back - I kinda miss that.

Other sports I like to play (with varying degrees of ability): soccer, baseball, volleyball, cricket. I like to cycle, but I don't consider it a sport for what I get out of it - it's just exercise and a way to get from a to b.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm a loner now when it comes to exercise, my favorites were baseball and (street) football. I was never "good" at sports but never got picked last either. I was just "there."

Basketball sucks and I plan on never playing it again. - I still don't understand how waving my arms around is supposed to stop the other guy from doing anything. When I tried to get more aggressive people would say I was fouling. :-\ I hated the way you mostly play inside. I hated the way everybody seemed like they magically knew how to play like pros.

You people are all MEATHEAD JOCKS and you don't understand the real me! :-D

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planner Groupie said:
Gee thanks!
Perhaps I should rephrase it:

....now that I'm divorced and have a much more understanding and wonderful woman in my life....

;)

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Perhaps I should rephrase it:

....now that I'm divorced and have a much more understanding and wonderful woman in my life....

;)

good save..

that's all I have to say about that.