• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

What Sports Are You Good At?

Hmmm.... what i lack in athletic skill, I make up for with enthusiasm. I enjoy athletic endeavors (I played on our Intramural Championship Winning grad school team - the Euclid Amblers), and I love disco bowling - but am happy when I break 100. I occasionally play mini-golf on par, and like the driving range. Before the trauma that pregnancy wreaked on my body, I enjoyed running, and am considering a marathon this fall.

I guess the only sport I've really, truly excelled at is Nighttime Hide and Go Seek.

JNL

Cyburbian
martini said:
In HS I was a pretty fast sprinter. I made it to the sectional finals a few years..

Me too. Now... I do okay at netball and indoor netball - joined a friend's indoor team mid-season and helped turn their losing streak into a winning one! I swim but not competitively, and last time I checked Pilates wasn't a sport....

Dragon

Cyburbian
I happen to enjoy many different types of sports, although I don’t get to play much. I love the opportunity to play more often.

I enjoy football, though I’ve only ever played pick-up games. It is always fun trying to flatten your friends and trying to outrun someone trying to flatten you.

Paintball is also fun, except when you get shot before the game starts (evil friends). :-@

Currently learning to play golf, and I have seen dramatic changes already. I started out hitting around 15 on a par 4, but now I’ve hit par a few times. I’ve only played 27 holes.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Most gifted at the following:

floating in the water at the beach. requires great skill and stamina, a good eye to watch for sharks, and a lot of sunscreen :-D

Also, I've played softball (lefty first baseman) and I like to golf (lefty again) but haven't played golf in a while.

Bowling? Will start out with strikes (luck) and end up in the gutter most of the time. This tends to happen based on the amount of beer consumed.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Just got roped into coaching soccer for 10 to 12 year olds. Should be fun. This is what happens when soft hearted Budgie walks past the Parks and Rec Department. Coached baseball last summer and basketball 2 winters ago.

JNL

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
This is what happens when soft hearted Budgie walks past the Parks and Rec Department. .

Who is this soft-hearted Budgie you speak of? ;)

annie

Sports I'm decent at
1. Cycling... started racing last summer, I'm a good road rider, and a bad mtn. biker
2. XC skiing... made my debut this winter, fell all over myself at the beginning of the season, raced pretty well at the end!
3. Rowing... college DI, have a few medals
4. Swimming...HS
5. Soccer...HS
6. Running

Sports I suck at!
1. Softball
2. Volleyball
3. Football
4. Frisbee

Sports I would love to, but can't afford to take up!
Kayaking, adventure racing, cyclocross, hockey...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Just got roped into coaching soccer for 10 to 12 year olds. Should be fun. This is what happens when soft hearted Budgie walks past the Parks and Rec Department. Coached baseball last summer and basketball 2 winters ago.

Wow... you sound just like one of the planners here in the office...

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
I was Captain of the JV and Varsity soccer team (good ole Albany High)! and was in ski club too. I played a bit of soccer in college, but hated my coach/got asthma. Ran cross country in college too and am more of a runner now. Acutally, I ran the St. Patrick's Day 10k in DC yesterday in an hour and ten seconds. I was a gymnast, played little league baseball and swam a lot growing up too. As a spectator, I'm up for almost anything but nascar--I love baseball and college basketball...have we all filled in our brackets?

Budgie

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Who is this soft-hearted Budgie you speak of? ;)

I am a man of many faces. I deliver meals on wheels every Thursday, been to Mexico on mission work and built homes with Habitat for Humanity. I don't mention these things very often.

martini

Cyburbian
annie said:
Sports I'm decent at
1. Cycling... started racing last summer, I'm a good road rider, and a bad mtn. biker

Kayaking, adventure racing, cyclocross, hockey...

annie, mpls has a great 'cross scene. I raced the whole seaosn for the first time last fall and had a great time. You could race your road bike easily if you wanted to try. It's probably got clearance for 28 or 30c tires. Skinnyski.com has pics of last seasons races, and you can find series info on the MCF website.

yeah, and adventrure racing'd be pretty cool too.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I guess the only sport I've really, truly excelled at is Nighttime Hide and Go Seek.

I remember playing the Hide and Seek when i was as a kid( We called it 'I Spy')
We used play that at night in a sprawling Club House with huge spiral staircases built by the russians as part of some joint venture.
Sometimes it would get scary..

Long time ago I played
Cricket
Hockey
Badminton
Soccer
Table Tennis
Pretty well
Played a little bit of Lawn Tennis too
We were a Sporting family you could say

But in High School
I was doing quite good in Basket Ball( made it to the school team but on the Sports Trainers advice to my mother that spending too much time would affect my studies was convinced to drop out- was never an athelete actually)
Continued with Table Tennis

College onwards I could continue only with the TT
Now I have a TT table at home and play occassionaly with my Dad and Brother ( Both of whom are good players like me :p and sometimes with friends and freelancers who happen to play well.

That reminds me , I have a soccer ball and basket ball lying somewhere in the loft. Gotto inflate them again and start a new routine. :)

About Indoor games
Havent played Monopoly or Scrabble in years.
Still play Cards with my Dad sometimes.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I'm only good at non team sports.

IMO I'm good at,
X-country skiing, Downhill, mtn biking, road biking, long distance hiking (is that a sport?)

Sports I really suck at,
basketball and tennis