• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • If you registered on Thursday (3-21) , please re-register. Thank you!

What states prohibit billboards?

I remember reading that a few states prohibit billboards. I believe they were Alaska, Hawaii, Vermont or New Hampshire, and Maine. Can anyone tell me?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Alaska, Hawaii, Vermont and Maine. I think Oregon doesn't permit new billboards.

What's the deal with Tennessee? Seems like it's the state where billboards go to die. Georgia and Texas, too. Do Southerners have a special appreciation for "litter on a stick" that the rest of the country doesn't understand?

Charley

I think Florida is working on legislation. Orlando has just passed some sort of ordinace regarding the dismantling of some existing billboards.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nope. The Florida state legislature just passed legislation that prohibits amortization of existing billboards -- no word on whether Jeb is going to sign it or not. FDOT encourages vegetation cutting around billboards. Florida state government, and some municipalities, are very pro-billboard, while others (including my little burg) ban them with extreme prejudice.