• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Uses What to call uses such as distilleries, breweries, and the like? [Was: making drinks]

Otis

Cyburbian
I am drafting an ordinance that is intended allow breweries, wineries, distilleries, and coffee roasters. But I don't want to call them out like that. I am looking for suggestions on what to call such a group of uses.

Moderator note:

~Gedunker
Professional forums require professional titles, old man. Title edited, until teh trobbing brian, suggests something better. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:

DVD

Cyburbian
Uncle Jed's spot down by the creek.

On the serious side, you may want to scale the production somehow. Beverage production facility under X square feet allowed in the hipster overlay zoning. Everything else must go industrial. Just in case some unwanted macro brewery comes to town.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Here's how I defined the boundary between brewing/distilling as a commercial vs industrial use. This is a condition for a restaurant/cafe/bar use:

Alcohol production and packaging may be part of the use. GFA of an alcohol production/packaging area must be ≤ 50% of the GFA for the entire use.

In an earlier draft, I based the threshold on New York state law upper limits for a by-right farm brewing / distilling operation. You'd need a special use permit or industrial zoning to go past those limits.

* Production and packaging area: ≤50% of total gross floor area.
* Beer: 15 barrels of beer/17.5 hectoliter (hl) brewing system.
* Distilled spirits: 150 gal/6.0 hl still capacity.
* Wine or cider: 1,700 gal/65 hl fermenter capacity.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Cideries are considered wineries in our state. We need a shruggy emoji.

Otis

Cyburbian
I left out doperies, too, and that was intentional. We are not trying to cater to users of such fiendly products:mj:. My experience with mead and cider is that they are vile:puke: and cideries and meaderies should have no place in my community. So those are right out.

Maybe I should include honeyeries, though . . .

Top Bottom