• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What was I thinking????

Going to see X-men next weekend?

• Of course!

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, we may catch it, maybe wait, maybe not at all

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Um no, you dork.

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
One of my close girlfriend's last day at a hellacious job is next Friday, and I was invited to go out for drinks after work (well, virgin dacquaries for me. sorry, pregos) on Friday. Upon relaying this news to my husband, he shot me a horrified look.
"Kel! How could you have made plans for next friday night? How could you forget what next friday night is!!!!"

sigh.

X2 opens next friday night. anyone else going?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I'll definitely be going to see it....but probably not on the opening weekend.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife really wants to see it. I think we will try to take it in on opening weekend (I usually try to avoid seeing movies on Opening night) 'cause we're going away for two weeks that weekend.

I never saw the first one. But while at the movies the other night, I saw the trailer for X2 and it was quite enticing.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm going to see it the Monday after it comes out. It was the only way I could rope my boyfriend's daughter into going out with me (she's 16, and promises of Hugh Jackman are the best bait). Neither of us have seen her in three months, so no matter how the movie turns out -- it'll be worth it.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
The only movie that screams opening weekend to me is Matrix Reloaded. :) Can't wait for that one!

donk

Cyburbian
I have never been a fan of Xmen comics, seem to flaky and moralistic, without having an underlying bit of filth involved.

For a really good comic movie adaptation see ghost world.

NHPlanner said:
The only movie that screams opening weekend to me is Matrix Reloaded. :) Can't wait for that one!
Apparantly that one is on our schedule as well. When did "Summer Movies" start opening in May?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Didn't see the first one, and I won't miss the second...

I'm waiting for Matrix Reloaded though, and I'll probably go to Santiago to see it (If I can), because here Theaters suck big time.... and seeing a cool movie like Matrix or Matrix Reloaded on a crappy theater isn't cool, and steals quality to the movie

On a What was I thinking theme, I saw Spiderman here, on a day near the opening, and first of all, it was dubbed to Spanish (YUCK!) and I went in a time were there were a lot of little kids, that after like half an hour started running through the corridors, screamming that they were bored, asking to go to the bathroom, etc (YUCK ++!!)

Oh and the theaters' audio and screen sucks terribly....and it's cold as hell (anything good?). So that's why I want to go to Santiago to see Matrix Reloaded, because there are good theaters there....:p

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Michael Stumpf said:
What's the matter, nick yourself? Razor burn? You do know that after shave is not intended for use below the waist?
You know too much, and must be eliminated.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Damn I've been getting bashed here and didn't even realize it...

I'll have you know that after a vicious crash at 37.3 mph last weekend, the shaved legs helped prevent infection :)-

prudence

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Damn I've been getting bashed here and didn't even realize it...

I'll have you know that after a vicious crash at 37.3 mph last weekend, the shaved legs helped prevent infection :)-
Wheels side DOWN, MIke.

I learned that after crashing the motorcycle last year...more like forced to put it down because of an inattentive OLD lady attempting to back out of her drive, but I'm not bitter.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
So, how soon until The Real Cancun is out of the theaters and on tape? I say it'll last on the screen until the end of the week, tops, and it'll be in Blockbuster at the end of June.

X-Men ... think it'll top Spiderman?

SkeLeton said:
On a What was I thinking theme, I saw Spiderman here, on a day near the opening, and first of all, it was dubbed to Spanish (YUCK!) and I went in a time were there were a lot of little kids, that after like half an hour started running through the corridors, screamming that they were bored, asking to go to the bathroom, etc (YUCK ++!!)
What are the theaters in Chile like? Stadium seating with cup holders? Popcorn and candy? Previews?

I saw Spiderman on opening day in Orlando, with a group of people from the Straight Dope Message Board. The crowd ... mostly folks in their 20s and 30s, kind of geeky, and very well behaved. There was a live announcement made before the movie. Talk loudly, and you'll be thrown out. Cell phone rings, and you'll be thrown out. Heckle, and you'll be thrown out. It was a VERY enjoyable experience. :)

Speaking of dubbing ... what is seeing a movie in Montreal like? Are there separate English and French theaters? Are English movies subtitled into French? Are French movies subtitles into English? Are all the US movies that make it to screens in Canada shown in Montreal as well?

Jeff

Cyburbian
prudence said:
Wheels side DOWN, MIke.

I learned that after crashing the motorcycle last year...more like forced to put it down because of an inattentive OLD lady attempting to back out of her drive, but I'm not bitter.
Dude I dumped the thing like a pro! layed the bike down perfectly, hardly any scratched on it except for the pedal and handlebar...my legs are a different story though.

No babies yet...probably by the end of the month :)

donk

Cyburbian
I dumped the thing like a pro!
My worst bike fall was on the track two years ago, stalled on the bank and slid down a 37 degree bank of plywood for about 25 feet. I wish I had been shaving my legs. I have a nive loonie sized scar on my knee from the hair being pulled out and burnt off at thesame time. Oh, and the fall speed was only 5 km / hour.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
donk said:
My worst bike fall was on the track two years ago, stalled on the bank and slid down a 37 degree bank of plywood for about 25 feet. I wish I had been shaving my legs. I have a nive loonie sized scar on my knee from the hair being pulled out and burnt off at thesame time. Oh, and the fall speed was only 5 km / hour.
They race up around Crater Lake... through the obsidian... now if THAT wouldn't be a bad fall, I'm not sure what would.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
They race up around Crater Lake... through the obsidian... now if THAT wouldn't be a bad fall, I'm not sure what would.
Owwie! I took a bad spill on crushed obsidian once... I was pulling glass-like shards the size of a needle out of my hands for a few hours. Luckily I was wearing jeans, otherwise I would have been doing the same thing to my back side. The only thing worse that I can remember was stepping on the spikes of a palm frond when I was wearing flip flops.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Have you tried the current run of New X-Men with Grant Morrison writing? Great stuff, even if you think comics are dumb and retarded. Grant takes the mutant outcast theme to a new level with the Riot at Xavier's storyline. The Frank Quitely art helps, too.

I'm afraid X2 will be dumb, though I hope I'm wrong. I don't have any desire to go see the film, but if the reviews come back relatively positive, then I might go see it. I read "God Loves, Man Kills," back when I was a teen-ager, and I thought it was an okay story. Sort of preachy, like typical Chris Claremont writing, but still pretty good. I don't need to see this comic on the big screen.

Speaking of which, what do you all think of the deluge of Marvel Comics films hitting the big screen? Spider-Man, X-Men, Daredevil, Hulk... and there are more planned for the coming 24 months. I hope you are enjoying them - I know I enjoyed Spider-Man last year, but that may have been due to the fact that I was drunk when I saw it. Marvel Comics is trying to break free from bankruptcy, they have a debt of over $200 million, and to get out of that whole as soon as possible, Marvel is producing as many movies as it can. With successes like Blade, X-Men, and Spider-Man (was Daredevil a hit?), Marvel is banking its life on the success of these films and others.

I am waiting for the day when Marvel drops its effects-laden films for something more tolerable, something like Ghost World, which was a fine film. However, since Marvel's staple crops of comics is dependent on the whole tights and underwear super hero genre, I doubt we'll get anything as good as Ghost World.

donk said:
I have never been a fan of Xmen comics, seem to flaky and moralistic, without having an underlying bit of filth involved.

For a really good comic movie adaptation see ghost world.

donk

Cyburbian
Nope, I can't get over it being teh Xmen. I am also somewhat scared of becoming a "fan boy", my geek tendencies are going through a resurgence right now, must fight some temptations.

Who cares if daredevil was a hit, it was one of the better comic book based adaptations. It did what it was supposed to (at least to me) as I am actually buying it regularily now, and I hate super hero books.

For really good daredevil stories, pick up the trade paper backs of Frank Millers work with the character from the early 80's.

Hee! Thanks Tim. That was tremendous. Rob was so relieved when I woke up this morning and felt ok for the first time all week. Every so often he'll drop me an email "How're you feeling" as in "Ok enough to sit through a movie tonight?" hee.

nerudite

Cyburbian
So I saw the xmen Sunday night... it wasn't too bad. There were some fairly cool parts to it and the special effects were really good. My boyfriend really enjoyed it though... I think it's more of a "guy" type movie.

So did you make it to the movie Kel? Or did you somehow get to skip out at the last minute?

I agree with your summation. We went on Saturday, and it was good, but a little thin on plot and super thick on action. Which the special effects really were awesome, but i definitely liked the first one better.

Habanero

Cyburbian
ditto to the two above posts.

I also have 2 questions:

how can you kill Wolverine?

and two, if you want to see it stop here...

was that a phoenix under the water in the last image?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
On a What was I thinking note:

Putting the RAM backwards surely doesn't make the computer work well... :p

Habanero said:
ditto to the two above posts.

was that a phoenix under the water in the last image?
i think it was. neither rob nor I could believe the movie ended that way. we both turned to each other and said "What the hell!!!"

donk

Cyburbian
I saw x men last night. It was better then I expected, but not that good. I see a spin off for wolverine coming.

As for the phoenix...

If I remember right from my geek university roomates, Jeanne Grey's evil alter ego alternate persona takes the form of the phoenix. If you had not mentioned it I probably would not have noticed.