• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What weather scares you?

nerudite

Cyburbian
So yesterday, our MPC meeting was shut down and we all fled to home when a tornado warning for our town was announced. Never having been through a tornado, and being unused to the warnings, I was incredibly freaked out.

Growing up in L.A., I'm used to wildfires, drought, earthquakes, and the ocassional tropical storm. I've been through one weak hurricane system and I have seen a waterspout. But tornadoes freak me out more than anything...

Anyone else have weather phobias?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Lightning......used to work at a summer camp, and have seen lightning hit the lake....scary stuff.

ecofem

Cyburbian
A tornado is the scariest to me....

At least with hurricanes you have some degree of warning...
And in Florida, earthquakes aren't typical...

Tom R

Cyburbian
twister

Had them come close and overhead but never seen one. Tornadoes are the scariests. With all the dopler radar etc., they're still unpredictable.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Lightning. I've seen what it can do. And it always amazes me to see guys playing golf in thunderstorms. What idiots.

Hurricanes, too, I guess. My current home is surrounded by very tall pine trees. I would have to leave (and have, actually, twice now) if a hurricane is predicted, even though I am not near the coast. Luckily, we haven't taken a hit yet.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I also have a fear of lightning. I was caught on a golf course in South Carolina once when the warning siren started blowing. It didn't seem like a good idea standing in an open fairway wearing metal spiked shoes and holding steel shaft clubs. We headed for the clubhouse immediately...no idiot here.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I grew up in the midwest and love the thunderstorms. I can do without the accompanying tornadoes, however. Where I live now only has one or two good thunderstorms a year. People here are more worried about wildfires and not enough rain.

Tom R

Cyburbian
zap!

I also have a fear of lightning.
Poetic justice. I heard that a girl, i think in Italy, got struck by lightning that hit on her pierced tongue jewelery.

martini

Cyburbian
I'm completely enthralled with weather. I love storms of any kind. Driving through Nebraska and seeing the whole horizon lit up by flashes of lightening is a phenominal sight. Driving through that storm was an adventure though. I've been cought in hail storms in the mountains of colorado. I've been on a high ridge near Durango in a typical Colorado afternoon thunderstorm (that was freaky, lightening everywhere). I've seen tornados. Wildfires would be kinda freaky, but I am a firebug so it might be kinda neat to see. An earthquake would be freaky to feel, maybe disconcerting, but I don't think I'd be afraid of what was happening.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I didn't realize earthquakes were a type of weather ;)

I really like thunderstorms, and snow blizzards. Unless I happen to be driving at the time.

Hmmm...don't think I've had any bad weather experiences.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Cold Weather!

Jannuary, -25F, windchill of -50 or more. 3 weeks where you hope it will hit 0F for a break. It actually Hurts to breath. Your brand new 6 month old car battery is barely starting your car, which has to be run at least 3 times per day for an hour to stand a chance of starting. Your massivly insulated coat sounds like a plastic bag snapping in the wind about to shatter. If your car breaks down and you are a 15 minute walk from help, you can be in great trouble.

Hurricanes are done in a week, a tornado is there and over with, but the cold reminds me of Dantes lowest plain of hell.

SGB

Cyburbian
Definately tornadoes.

In June 1992, My sister & I saw a severe looking storm system just to the south of the state highway we were on in northern Wyoming. A long bank of the darkest looking cloud was probably about 5 miles away from us.

We were out in the proverbial middle of nowhere where the only radio stations that could be heard were so religious that apparently they didn't need to worry about the weather.

Never heard if that storm spawned twisters or not. But just seeing the storm edge was enough to scare the !@#! out of us.

donk

Cyburbian
No real phobias, just some dislikes.

I'm with Duke, the deep cold that freezes your nostril hairs annoys the hell out of me. That being said I could never live in a place without winter.

i love thunder and lightning, a good rain storm is nice.

The only tornado I 've ever seen is the Grand Valley- Barrie one that happened about 18 years ago. it was weird, the sky turned green and the air went silent for about 5 minutes.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
snow, freaks me the hell out-this winter in DC i was about neurotic by the time it was over

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Ice storms

Not slippery sidewalk kind of ice storms, but the heavy freezing rain that coats EVERYTHING and toples high voltage lattice towers, sending you into shivering darkness for days on end, with no hope of gettting out of the house.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
donk said:
I'm with Duke, .....That being said I could never live in a place without winter.
I am there with you. Winter is nothing more than a big white playground. You just got to wear a LOT of REALLY WARM clothing. :)

Its even better to watch people from warm weather football teams play at Lambaue Field in that weather! :) Or better yet, a snowstorm! :)

Why does it seem that only people from WI & MN always have jumper cables in thier cars and nobody else seems to carry them?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Cold Weather!

Jannuary, -25F, windchill of -50 or more. 3 weeks where you hope it will hit 0F for a break. It actually Hurts to breath. Your brand new 6 month old car battery is barely starting your car, which has to be run at least 3 times per day for an hour to stand a chance of starting. Your massivly insulated coat sounds like a plastic bag snapping in the wind about to shatter. If your car breaks down and you are a 15 minute walk from help, you can be in great trouble.

Hurricanes are done in a week, a tornado is there and over with, but the cold reminds me of Dantes lowest plain of hell.
So, what is your complaint, again?

Floridays

Cyburbian
Being from central Oklahoma, I would agree that tornadoes are probably the freakiest! I've seen the same cities and same neighborhoods get hit time and time again, because the tornado keeps taking the same path.
But! snow is also scary in the part of the country because people simply do not know how to drive in the snow/ice! We had an ice storm a few years ago and there were over 300 accidents during rush hour alone.

El Feo

Cyburbian
To a certain extent, I think it's what you're used to. While it's no Kansas or Oklahoma in terms of tornadoes, we got our fair share in the Ohio River valley when I was growing up in Louisville. That east-west river valley was like a bowling alley for big spring storms.

When the tornadoes came, you just went to the basement and hung out until the all clear. No biggie.

Hurricanes freak me out a bit. My wife says I'm crazy, since you can somewhat prepare - guess it's the "what you're used to" factor I was talking about.

Last edited:

Tom R

Cyburbian
kkkkkold

I saw -35F actual temp. when I lived in Caribou Maine. Everything is a little strange when it gets that cold. Even sounds are different. It must be the density of the air. I'm just glad it was a calm day. My city pickup had to be dragged into the fire station to thaw. The wheels wouldn't even turn. A lot of people up there carry little survival kits. We used to put sleeping bags in the car land leave them all winter. I remember changing the belt on my old VW bug at about -10. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Weather is fun.

Ok… I am in a minority here. I LOVE a good storm. In college anytime a storm would be coming, we would go to the top of this big hill called Sugarloaf, and watch the storms roll in over lake superior. It was amazing.

I am a big fan of winter and cold weather. Growing up in Upper Michigan, dealing with the snow and cold was an every day thing. I have seen that accrual temp his -45 and a wind chill close to -70. THAT WAS COLD.

The weather that I hate is when it gets hot out, and the humidity is high. When it gets cold, you can put more clothing on, but when it gets hot, you can only take so much off before getting arrested.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Re: kkkkkold

Tom R said:
A lot of people up there carry little survival kits. We used to put sleeping bags in the car land leave them all winter.

I have one of those… it has a winter snow suit, sleeping bag, a solar and battery operated heater, candles, a shovel, jumper cables, matches, a basic first aid kit, cell phone antenna and battery, gloves, hats, another pair of boots, wool socks, road flairs, snow shoes (which where used for more than just an emergency), and a big orange thing that you put on your car antenna if you get stuck.
*Oh and a sandbag for traction.

Life was fun in the winter

Tom R

Cyburbian
kkkkkkkold!

I got used to the cold and liked the snow. It was the length of winter that got old. Come April, I REALLY was ready for spring. One April 15 we got 14" of snow. Bummed me out to no end.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I agree with michaelskis. Cold weather is fine, invigorating (at least until you can't move anymore), storms are wonderful, but heat and humidity--no thanks. It just drains you. Saw three funnel clouds a few years ago in west-central Indiana--they never touched down, just swirled around for a while. It was scary and hypnotic at the same time. I love thunderstorms. Used to hate them, but in the midwest you pretty much have to get used to them. They can be very beautiful. They're one of the few good things about Indiana summers.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Weather I Hate

I have always hated the summer when the high humidity sets in. Its like kryptonite (sp)? to me. Whn it gets hot and sticky, I basically loose the will to do ANYTHING.

As for winter weather, bring it on.

Living on the Prairies these days, I always enjoy a good lightning storm too.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
With all due respect to those who enjoy cold, snowy winters; I hate this type of weather. I've experienced two winters here in North Idaho and it nearly drove me insane. Days too short, roads too slippery, too much overcast (it seemed like weeks would go by without seeing the sun), and too much clothing (I much prefer to see exposed skin on a warm sunny day). When the right opportunity comes along in a temperate climate, I'm outta here.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Strangest thing Ive seen NOT on public transit and In the weather!

5,000 people jumping into Lake Michigan on New Years Day :)

3 time POLAR BEAR :)

going for 4 in 2004! :)

Its a great way to kick off the new year (12:00 noon on the 1st, in Jacksonport, WI. Michigan side of the WI thumb).

jumping into water at 32.00000000001 degrees farenheit is the deffinition of "invigorating". You skip right over cold, bitter cold, and go right to numb! A sure fire way to get past the hangover from the 5:30 am drinking binge the night before! :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
growing up on a coastal barrier island - hurricanes
lived in utah and colorado - blizzards, wind chill factor, avalanches
now in sw indiana- tornadoes, flooding, ice storms
and combine ozone with heat index 110 +

not to mention earthquakes - either it's the New Madrid or Wabash fault

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
lightning, although not really frequent here, did scare me a lot in the US when I was a kid. Valdivia doesn't have many weather hazards... No tornadoes, hurricanes (although strong winds are common), flash floods, blizzards, etc so I don't have a reason to fear any of those.

On the contrary Valdivia did have the most powerfull earthquake that has been recorded... and that scares me a bit....

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I guess I'm not really scared of very much weather, but I don't like wind much (especially when biking). Even flooding is ok - it's the standing water afterwards that creeps me out. To see water where there "shouldn't" be water is a little disconcerting. Maybe a carry over from my "monster in the closet" days.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Lightning, definitely. I like the sound of rain and thunder, but not when the lightning is so close you think'll hit your house, or hit a tree that will fall on your house...

Twice my husband and I and our animals have huddled in the basement during a major thunderstorm. One of those times, there was a tornado about 15 miles away. It was pretty scary.

I also don't like ice storms. Snow I can deal with -- especially since I snowshoe! - but ice can cause a lot of damage, and I'm always afraid of slipping and sliding on it.

H

Cyburbian
Can’t say I’m a big fan of any extreme weather, but since I live in Miami I must go with Hurricane.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Aren't you suppose to go out and look for those tornadoes. How would you know where they are coming from if you are hiding in your basement?
I don't like hail much or that heavy ice, Chet was talkin about.
I love a great thunderstorm or a blizzard if I am home safe.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Queen B said:
Aren't you suppose to go out and look for those tornadoes.
I admit to being guilty of that on three occassions. 1984 and 1987 tornados passed just south of my family's house (ironically they followed identical paths and destroyed the same houses both occassions).

In 1991 we stood on the roof of City Hall where I worked and watched one coming in.

Tom R

Cyburbian
weather

To me the worst driving weather are freezing rain and heavey fog, especially at night. I can deal with just about everything else within reason.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Re: zap!

Tom R said:
I also have a fear of lightning.
Poetic justice. I heard that a girl, i think in Italy, got struck by lightning that hit on her pierced tongue jewelery.

There was a blurb in the paper a week or two ago about a couple who were shocked when lightning hit near their home; they were asleep in their iron bedstead!

steveanne

Ahh, weather. I knew you well...

I've lived in some funky weather regions.

Rochester NY - Not so much worried about the kind of weather that kills you (although there have been some great lightning shows there - once on July 4th!), but Rochester and it's cousins (Buffalo, Oswego, Syracuse, and Erie, PA) have some of the worst snow I have ever seen. Snow drifts that reach second and third floor windows, cars that get buried, abandoned, and aren't found again until the Spring, and icicles that double as broadswords were the norm. Kids in Rochester never got a break. Snow would fall over night and there would be 3 feet of new snow on the ground, but school was never cancelled. If you were two states down, a state of emergency would be called. Of course there was the Ice Storm of 1991...

Erie PA - Just as much snow as Rochester, but with added tornadoes in the fall. My windows were blown in on my college apartment building, and 2 buildings in the housing complex just to the north of me were demolished during a tornado.

Orlando - Ugh. Along with the insane heat and humidity, there's the threat of hurricanes, tornadoes, and every day at 3pm, the worst thunderstorm you can imagine comes through and wreaks havoc. I also had the great honor of living in Orlando during the Summer of Forest Fires. Every day during the summer a new fire would start somewhere in Southern Orlando. The inside of our place smelled like a campground and driving was awful on some of the expressways due to smoke.

NW Suburbs of Chicago - Tornado warnings and thunderstorms practically every week this summer along with frigid winters and huge wind gusts make Chicago my least favorite weather city I've lived in.

Just needed to vent!

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: zap!

Zoning Goddess said:
There was a blurb in the paper a week or two ago about a couple who were shocked when lightning hit near their home; they were asleep in their iron bedstead!

I'll bet the "earth moved" that night.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm with the minority that love "charismatic weather." I've been in a handful of tornados. While I am a bit apprehensive, the fact that I'm still alive has made me kinda dismissive about them. I also took part in Hurrican Hugo back in '89. Thunderstorms are really cool as well - especially on the open plains. My least favoite weather is heat and humidity.

boiker

Cyburbian
i fear nothing!!

seeing how i studied meteorology a number of semesters before changing to planning and storm chasing a number of times and stood in lightning storms dripping wet to take lightning photos... i don't fear the weather, rather I am amazed by it.

If there is a warning, i'm outside. If there is a tornado i'm taking mental notes on it and watching radar trying to understand trends and predicting it's path and strength.

ask mendalman, we've had warnings a couple times this year and I'm by the windows rather than cowering under my desk.

About 2pm in July looking to the southeast, northwest of DeKalb, IL monster thunderstorm overhead...beautiful colors.

it's snowed close to 1 ft in about 6 hrs this day... wind was nearly constant 40-50 mph! love the midwest!

Picture of lightning after a day of chasing.

wonderful sunset looking west from my college apartment in Dekalb, IL

Wall cloud is in the foreground massive inflow.. shortly after a weak tornado was spawned..however i was driving and didn't get a pic.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
[OT] Boiker, I don't think I ever realized you were an NIU almni. When were you there? [/OT]

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Boik - that last pic is especially awesome.

Some how I missed the fact that you and Mendelman are coworkers. So tell us the truth - Is Mendelwoman a hottie?

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Drought...ask any farmer.
I am in awe of most natural phenomina. I have experienced most all--except wildfires. When something approaches, I head home, to keep the doors open and watch. The scariest driving was a freezing rain storm in Atalanta. The second worst is no power for days (but the beer stays cold). Has anyone else seen drifts of hail?