• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

What weather scares you?

boiker

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
[OT] Boiker, I don't think I ever realized you were an NIU almni. When were you there? [/OT]

ahh someone reconized :) 1996-2000.

good ole' dekalb. i never miss the university on the corn field.

my freshman year it was -13 below with a -55 windchill. the dorms are a minimum 20 minute brisk walk from the nearest classroom building. needless to say.. i was *sick* for two days until it was above 0.

my sophmore year a derecho slammed into campus.. .umimpeded by the adjacent corn fields. 90 mph winds blew my dorm neighbors window out and all his stuff on the floor. like a tv and stereo.

my junior year another derecho hit during campus welcome week. all the tents and displays in the MLK commons were destroyed a couple people got injured.

my senior year i remember it being rather calm...

btw, in 1995 in the middle of july it rained 10 inches in 8 hrs in dekalb.. .massive flooding all over campus.

is that town cursed?

bturk: are you referring mendelman HIMSELF as a women. if so you are right. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
boiker said:
ahh someone reconized :) 1996-2000.

Just missed you, then. I finished my coursework for the Geography MS in 1995 and finished my thesis in 1996, when I was already in Wisconsin. I was also there for my undergrad in PA from 1984 to 1989. I was there for the Ice Riots of '87, when a snowstorm during finals week led to a snowball fight which led to cars being turned over. I was also there for the tornado of 1988 (or was it '89?), also during finals week. I moved back in 1991 in time for the floods - probably the only time you could float a canoe on the Kishwaukee River.

I lived in Douglas Hall, so did not have very far to walk to DuSable or Davis, where most of my classes were. One year I overlooked the canyon between Douglass and Grant, where some good wind patterns could develop. The updraft might be embarrassing to some of the girls wearing skirts, but it kept the guys entertained. Later I lived in University Apartments with a view of corn fields.

DeKalb used to be a very pleasant city to live in, but has become too suburban now. I go back every year for the Geography Department's alumni day during Geography Week. There's too much sprawl, the Candlelight is gone, and even the margaritas at Eduardos are awful now.

Sigh.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I admit to being guilty of that on three occassions. 1984 and 1987 tornados passed just south of my family's house (ironically they followed identical paths and destroyed the same houses both occassions).

In 1991 we stood on the roof of City Hall where I worked and watched one coming in.
Greetings fellow idiot!

My parents house sits on a hill over looking a valley with the North Carolina/Georgia mountains in the background, and their front porch makes for excellent weather watching. Back in either '92 or '93, instead of taking cover in the basement, I set on the porch one day and watched as tornados were tearing up the community. While watching one tornado came up over a ridge I saw another come up from the opposite direction and join up with it. Quit possibly one of the coolest things ever.

As for weather I'm scared of...Being a hiker and backpacker, I'm skiddish about lightning. In fact, I been caught in the woods duing one enough times that I get nervous if a lightning storm begins to stir while I'm walking home from work.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I lived through Hurricane Andrew and the tornado that hit Jarrell in the late90s went right by where I was on I35 heading home that day. Never want to do either of those again.

I don't like any natural disasters, so I moved to Arizona because I was told they don't get tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, and obviously no hurricanes.

No one ever told me about those GD monsoons!

The day we moved into our house, and my first day in AZ, the biggest monsoon of the season blew through. I looked at James and said, "I'm moving back to TX!"

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
snow, freaks me the hell out-this winter in DC i was about neurotic by the time it was over

I absolutely agree. I am freaked out about snow and ice. I remember one time when it snowed in Jax, Florida, and it really freaked me out. Then having to move to a place where it actually snows and there are real winters really, really sucks!!!! I am not made for cold weather no matter how much clothing I have on.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I do love a good thunderstorm. I love tropical weather like hurricanes and tropical storms. I also like watching severe weather reports, they make for interesting tv.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Last winter, I didn't have a working heater in my car. I was not properly equipped with appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. I had gloves made for a Texas winter, nothing more. We had about 6 inches of snow and I thought I was going to die.

I am a summer, Texas girl. Summer all year round would be perfect for me. The humidity is great. If it's too hot, jump in a pool. Take a cold shower. open the windows. Turn on a fan. Suck on ice. In the summer, your only emergency kit is water and sunglasses- sunscreen too.

I am fascinated with the weather also. I have never seen a tornado but I have this (unhealthy) urge to witness/be in one. Flooding is pretty scary, especially when your belongings are being threatened. My friend's dad got struck by lightning and he's fine-but I know you can't say that about everyone. It's beautiful though. Just plain rain sounds so good hitting the ground. I love rain hitting my face.

I love the adrenaline rush that goes with scary weather.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
Last winter, I didn't have a working heater in my car.

Haha! I had a car like that one winter in college. It also had wires tied to the wipers running in through the windows so that I could get them to move. Sometimes we would take my car, sometime that aof a friend of mine - a Citation with three of four cylinders firing.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Well Trail you can teach me some of that Fla hurricane stuff this week with the storm coming. My house is on a hill so not worried about water (though the basement floods) but we have a HUGE dead tree in the yard.

sigh me thinks I will park the car a block over.

biscuit

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:

I'd suggest parking in a garage, or just taking it on a nice little road trip to Roanoke or some other place inland. :)

Planderella

Cyburbian
Tornadoes seem to be the most elusive and frightening to me. Although you have a fair amount of warning with hurricanes, my biggest fear would be leaving and coming back to nothing.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Well Trail you can teach me some of that Fla hurricane stuff this week with the storm coming. My house is on a hill so not worried about water (though the basement floods) but we have a HUGE dead tree in the yard.

I think this place will flood no matter what since the roads are not built that well, nor are the swm systems. I am worried about the trees around my apartment because with the last big storm we lost one right by our apt. Hopefully, the dead tree won't be evil and fall.

I can't believe how badly my fellow co-workers are freaking out about the storm.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
I think this place will flood no matter what since the roads are not built that well, nor are the swm systems. I am worried about the trees around my apartment because with the last big storm we lost one right by our apt. Hopefully, the dead tree won't be evil and fall.

I can't believe how badly my fellow co-workers are freaking out about the storm.

Duh, you're a Floridian, and a ZONING GODDESS, so you know abou these things, they don't. Have mercy on them and tell them they must evacuate to Montana or someplace, just to be safe. Don't forget to tell them that the most important hurricane supplies are fine wines and old mystery books.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Well i got 8 bottles of red and 2 bottles of white, lots of chocolate and some books and my dogs-Im all set :)

The Canadian roomie is flying the coop for some where out west-wus

hehe

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerGirl said:
Well i got 8 bottles of red and 2 bottles of white, lots of chocolate and some books and my dogs-Im all set :)

The Canadian roomie is flying the coop for some where out west-wus

hehe

Yeah just wait till the pooch has to pee in an 80 mph wind and driving rain. LOL

donk

Cyburbian
PG, Chet

I have this image of PG attaching a fishing line to the beagle's collar and casting him far enough away from the house, then reeling him in like a game fish.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
PG, Chet

I have this image of PG attaching a fishing line to the beagle's collar and casting him far enough away from the house, then reeling him in like a game fish.

I'm sure she has plenty of chain purchased from Home Depot that could do the trick. :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Lol no, I have some very nice rope (lots of it) that I'll use to tie him to something before he gets the boot out the door. Its not like he will go out there of his own free will. Course he ways 45 lbs now so hes not small for a beagle at all.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The dogs are pissed, we have collected all of their toys out of the yard and put them away, any larger size sticks etc. Wait till they see the storm-I think I need to stock up on puppy porozac