• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What would you do for money? What have you done for money?

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I just agreed to give my neighbor manicures on a regular basis for money. It's pretty out of character for me, but I need the money. As a starving college student I was thinking that I would do just about anything for a buck.

Which brings me to ask all of you- what would you do for a buck? What have you done to earn a little cash that might be considered strange, dangerous, filthy, nasty or just out of character for you?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
slave- you wouldn't get paid though if I gave you manicures, believe me.
Well, having another woman touch my hands would be considered dangerous, in my wife's opinion.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have volunteered to grow a mullet for $250.00. No takers.

I was at a bachelor party a few weeks ago where someone jumped in the (icky) Milwaukee River for $45

BKM

Cyburbian
Working in a restaurant kitchen as a dishwasher was pretty nasty :( Especially when being screamed at by a pugnacious ex-marine.

Delivering newspapers on a frozen Indiana winter morning was also pretty bad. Especially for pennies per paper.

otterpop

Cyburbian
What would you do for money? What have you done for money?

I've done a lot of things for money, and not for much money -- painted houses, did land title work, worked in fast-food, cleaned offices, delivered newspapers, been a newspaper reporter, and wrote a handbook for planning board members. A job I got paid little money for but would have paid them to do was weekend cook in a sorority house. Forty or so 20-something women, lovely and fresh out of bed!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I have volunteered to grow a mullet for $250.00. No takers.

I was at a bachelor party a few weeks ago where someone jumped in the (icky) Milwaukee River for $45
oh, that man is cheap!

I've done various things for various amounts of money or beer (okay, when you're floating down a river money doesn't help you buy more beer for the rest of the float).

I once took $20 to kick a man square in the jewels. I would've done it for $10. My sister always used to pay me off so she could skip one class in high school.

But, onto legal things: I was a waitress for a long time. I knew how to work the staff too- I would come in and people would pay me extra to cover their shift that night (once I got $50 for a measly 4 hour shift).

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I high school, I forged notes from parents for $$. Never got caught.

My second summer job was at a spa. My job was to wrap fat women in treated Ace bandages, put them in rubber suits, and into the sauna, to sweat off those couple of inches to fit into that dress for whatever occasion. Wrapping naked fat women is not a fun job, but the money was great.

Sigh-- Astrology, which I am very good at and a friend twisted my arm into doing some work for her for pay and then began referring people to me.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention that here as I never wanted to do this 'professionally' and usually do not even publicly mention that I am at all interested in it. It has such a 'flake' reputation -- and that rep is well-earned by most of the flakes that do this type of work. I used to be a flake but I got over it. I was preparing to dump all my old astrology books -- which had been boxed up and gathering dust in the closet for several moves -- when a couple of friends talked me into helping them out.

Can't we discuss something less embarrassing -- like sex? lol ;)

tsc

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:

My second summer job was at a spa. My job was to wrap fat women in treated Ace bandages, put them in rubber suits, and into the sauna, to sweat off those couple of inches to fit into that dress for whatever occasion. Wrapping naked fat women is not a fun job, but the money was great.
Wouldn't want to eat at McDonald's after that..... ;) It's sounds like a tough love approach to an eating disorder......like when they take "bad" kids to a jail....that scared straight approach.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I had a lot of crappy little jobs in high school & college, just to earn some money: cleaning dorm bathrooms (so bad, I quit); working in the school cafeteria; editing and typing student papers; "hawking" refreshments at outdoor concerts (a great way to see concerts, a lousy way to make money); filing invoices (for two summers!); selling luggage in a department store.

I was never one of those kids who could go to Florida for spring break, because I always needed to work. At least I didn't have to do anything illegal or dangerous for cash.

H

Cyburbian
No fun money stories.

But I did wash dishes one summer after my sophomore year of college. Unskilled labor jobs are hard to come by in small college towns. *sigh*

The next summer I did yard work, i.e. cleared a field where a developer was putting in a subdivision. (this was in the Mississippi heat!).

The next sumer I delivered chicken wings until 2 in morning.

Those 3 jobs made me study my a$$ off, because I never wanted to do unskilled manual labor like that again. :-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
about 15 yrs ago I made a decision
that of going to grad school to become a planner
the other choice was to stay at a ski resort working only for
seasonal wages as a professional ski patroller -
what a difference in income, benefits.

reread my Introduce Yourself posting.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Ever husked corn? I did. One morning, anyway. It turns out I really didn't feel I needed the money enough to keep doing it.

I once sold plasma, but that was for beer money, so it is all good.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Cardinal said:
Ever husked corn? I did. One morning, anyway. It turns out I really didn't feel I needed the money enough to keep doing it.

I considered both of those and rejected them my junior year in college. A year later.... well I'm not sure the statutes of limitations have run out.

Maybe Cardinal will hear the story at our next Alefest, assuming I have not been whacked by budget "issues"

**eye roll**

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
all these stories bring back memories. A teacher once bet me that I could not get someone to suck my toes. This was at Mardi Gras, mind you. I turned to the guy next to me, and asked him. He AND his friend did it. I had the cleanest feet on Bourbon street!

I used to donate plasma too but I had to stop because I passed out a couple times....

donk

Cyburbian
Cleaned pig pens.
Dug 10 acres of plant beds byhand.
Split and stacked wood.

These three taught me the value of an education, and that I did not want to be a field slave for the rest of my life.

In university i "helped" quite a few people with papers. I new the library really well and like doing the sorting and finding of information in the periodic abstracts.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Jessie-J said:
As a starving college student I was thinking that I would do just about anything for a buck.
I can't believe you posted that line here on cyburbia...

One word:

Webcam!

(just kidding)

Stuffing envelopes is about as menial as I've gotten.

jmf

Cyburbian
I have smiled while some one has called me a liar in a public place. I have been yelled at, whined at, cajoled and offered a bribe. I have driven 150km in a driving stormstorm to find that those who lived closer stayed home.

Doesn't everyone want to be a planner???

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
oh boy should i even go down this road

lets see i have modeled
stuffed envelopes
watched folks dogs/homes (easy cash and stay in SWEET homes)
someone once offered me 300 bucks for me to put clothes pins on his...bits. I turned him down a lady has limits ya know.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I just rob old ladies at knifepoint whenever I need a little extra cash.

Seriously....

The lowest I (and my roomates) stooped (for $ for a sack) was...

In college since we lived in the fraternity house we weren't allowed to have kegs. So, we goy pallets of cases of cans delivered to the house on the weekend. One Sunday when we were all broke, the couches had been cleaned of all the loose change, we collected all the nasty half drank cans which were all over the house, and took them to the recycling center. Got about $15.00.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Cardinal said:

Oh I forgot about that. I did that for a semester. When it got so I liked the pop of the needle entering my vein, I decided it was time to quit. Then I got a job driving buses around Iowa City....now those were good times. Driving the buses for sorority rush formal night was awesome........

While in undergrad, I sold plasma at least once a week and blood whenever I was physically able to.

I also delivered phone books and was a telemarketer for about a week.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
When I was in high school, I would steal chewing tobacco from a grocery store I worked at and would sell it to guys in my shop class at work.

While in the dorms, I would make fake ids for $10

I have gone to goodwill or thrift stores and resell things like old cameras on e-bay, even though I really didn't need the money.

When my brother was in college, I would buy him and his friends beer and over charge at least a case for myself and about 20 bucks.

pandersen

Cyburbian
jmf said:
I have smiled while some one has called me a liar in a public place. I have been yelled at, whined at, cajoled and offered a bribe. I have driven 150km in a driving stormstorm to find that those who lived closer stayed home.

Doesn't everyone want to be a planner???

Bing, Bing, Bing!!!!!!!!

We have a winner!

pandersen

Cyburbian
Delivered phone books

Worked on a sewer pipe crew (installing new storm and sanitary and watermain). We did all the "benching" of the catchbasins/manholes in January in Ontario, canada using hydrolic cement. In order to do this we first had to manually shovel out over a years worth of contaminants first. Note the sewers were not LIVE at the time - thank god.

Built concrete in ground swimming pools i.e. tied rebar and sprayed concrete in the blaring heat of summer.

Pulled/Installed fibre optic wire in a gold processing plant in Pt. Coulbourne, Ontario - had to crawl through old basements, unused underground vaults and had to put up with being searched for stolen gold.

Took at job while at university looking after a "small animal holding" facility in the Zoology Dept. Loads of fun cleaning mice cages!

During a summer while in highschool, I worked at a gasbar during the wekend and worked for a cabinetmaker during the week. Loads of fun, didn't have a singe day off to myself all that summer and didn't even make much money.

I'm sure there were other equally facinating jobs that I've done, but fortunately a brain stem injury has wiped them from what's left of my mind!

On the plus side, I can honestly say I've never had to work in a fast food restaurant - thank god for small miracles.

Last edited:

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
someone once offered me 300 bucks for me to put clothes pins on his...bits. I turned him down a lady has limits ya know.
Don't you have a penchant for PVC? Would this not be appropriate even if dressed in PVC?

Did custodial work all four years in undergrad school.

yaff

Cyburbian
My husband grew up in Raleigh N.C. and worked on a university research farm in highschool. He had to count the number of soybeans in pods. He jokes about being a "bean counter".

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Well, as mentioned in another thread, I've done the carny thing. Not the proudest era of my life, but difinitely one of the most interesting.

I've also worked for a disaster restoration firm. The job entailed, among other things, cleaning up after sewers overflow or just plain blow up, suicides (.357 magnum in the mouth...buddy of mine found a piece of jawbone in the closet), and fatal house fires.

Such wonderful memories...I think I'll call my therapist now.

EDIT: As for what I WOULD do for money, well that depends on the amount of money, doesn't it?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Wow, I've never done anything like clean up after suicides, been a carny, sold my plasma, or cleaned up sewers but I have done the usual menial jobs.

Worked on a lake barge the summer after high school. I had returned from Europe had some credit card bills to pay off and got this job through a temp agency. We would putt around a large lake in a big barge and use a front-end-loader to dump rocks on the shore line for erosion control. It was my job to arrange them, by hand, after they were dumped and I did that for 12 hours a day in the sweltering summer heat. On the upside, I did end the summer with a killer tan.

I also worked at a couple of Applebee's over a years time. One was in Seneca, SC where Applebees was considered "fine dining" to a lot of people. The tips were really bad to say the least and customers always seemed to want "Raaainch" dressing with everthing. The other was on James Island, SC. It was never busy but it allowed me time at the beach during the day and made me enough money to go out for drinks in the evenings.

Last edited:

iamme

Cyburbian
Dishwasher

Installing and removing insulation in an attic on 90+ degree days

Fast Food Manager

Paper Pusher and Supervisor at Trucking Company (still there)

yet I'm only 20

Glad I only have a couple years of school to go

Queen B

Cyburbian
I think BiteMeElmo's had the worst.

No money exchanged hands for this but in lue of rent deposit I cleaned out an apartment that had the refridge, full of meat , turned off for over a week. I burned my lungs from all the bleach I used. Looking back, should have taped the door shut and taken it to the dump.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Slave you have missed a lot of my posts haven't you?

;-)
My day is not complete unless I read your posts.:-$

My bad, I guess its latex, not pvc.

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
I think BiteMeElmo's had the worst.
Yeah, I get the disaster tour every time we go for a drive. That building over there... that had a sewer back up and I had to vacuum out nasty sludge. Hey, over there... a woman fell asleep in her chair with a cigaratte and we had to clean up her apartment... you could see her outline in the chair where she died...

all kinds of fun stories!

For me: the weirdest thing I think I've done is catch tarantulas and sell them to the local pet store for a few bucks (when I was maybe 13 or 14 y.o.). I think they would re-sell them as some type of mexican tarantula that was sought after, even though they weren't the same species (I think).

Also, a friend of mine went out of town and he gave me $40 to watch his pregnant snake (a rosy boa). It turns out that she had the babies (live birth) when he was gone and I got to clean boa placenta off of hot rocks. When he found out all the crap I had to do, he ended up giving me one of the babies. When it got big enough to eat rats, I ended up giving it away (too brutal to watch the rats get eaten).

martini

Cyburbian
By most standards, I've had a pretty easy job life.

15 years in the Bike Industry(both shops and industry side).

Bagel/Coffee pusher for a while.

MTB Tour Guide for two summers.

Line cook for Two pot hazed summers in the Balck Hills.

And now this internship at a desk watching my belly go from Ok to the classic beer gut. At least the wife is pregnant, she can't complain about it!

A few of these positions held concurrently.

JNL

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
While in undergrad, I sold plasma at least once a week and blood whenever I was physically able to.
I donate blood regularly but they don't pay you for it, here. The most they will do is pay for a taxi to get you to the donor centre if they are really desperate for your blood...

I've had a few different part-time jobs but nothing really horrible. I worked at a petrol station for a summer which was okay cos I like petrol fumes :)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

I also delivered phone books and was a telemarketer for about a week.
Ah yes, forgot my one-night telemarketer stint, selling entertainment books. I had told my folks I was out with a friend (not the one I was with, they hated her). Anyway, about half-way thru the evening (we were in a suite in a hotel), this great cart of munchies showed up. Turns out it was delivered to the wrong room. The real owner showed up and signed autographs for everyone (Troy Donahue, I guess only the other oldies would know this one). Then, at the end of the evening, we rode down in the elevator, and waiting to get on, to go to the rooftop restaurant, my parents! End of job.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
almost forgot this one

In college I took a p/t job as a stocker at Toys R Us.

Day 1, was spent in a small cinder block cell they called the training room. For eight hours I watched training videos, then on my way out the door I was frisked by the manager to make sure I did not have malibu barbie in my pocket (I was just happy to see him).

Day 2, I was sent to work without mano-e-mano training. "Duh dude, you SAW the VIDEOS". Eight hours later I was frisked to make sure I didnt have a pogo stick in my pants. Nuff said

Day 3, I called the manager and lied out of my ass and made an excuse why I cant get to work anymore.