• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What's on your Whiteboard?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Our facilities guys :hammer:hung:hammer: my new-to-me whiteboard late yesterday.

I'm going to list over-arching projects, upcoming Big Meetings, and other items on it. I don't want to list the small steps involved in the large projects on the board, because I don't like broadcasting the small stuff. Projects will be color-coded by billing code.:blueshirt:

What's on your whiteboard? Do you have one of those fancy magnetic ones, or the standard style?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Standard style.
I used to use it as a large meeting scheduler, but now it's become a magnet board to hold a zoning map, future land use map, and street index in my office.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Most of us have a large whiteboard in our offices and cubicles. Unfortunately, they are not magnetic (as soon as they were put up we all complained that they cheaped out and didn't get us the good magnetic ones).

Mine has a few mathematical formulas on it that I use frequently for figuring out things like location quotients, jobs multipliers, fiscal impacts, forecasting, etc. I like to have them there so I can easily turn my chair and see them and quickly type them in to Excel when I need them and not have to use the glitchy macro-enabled spreadsheets that take longer too long to load up and never save correctly anyway.

I also currently have the logos for the University of Michigan and the Naval Academy drawn (poorly) on there - they replaced my attempt at a funny Dr. Rick Sanchez caricature.

Outside of my cube there is a smaller magnetic whiteboard that a previous supervisor got us because she wanted all of us to write our where we were basically anytime we were away from our desk. :rolleyes: That was dumb and micro-managey and I never did that. She's also no longer my supervisor. I do however write on there if I am gone completely for the day or on vacation. Other than that, mine is covered with military patches and stickers that I've collected.

We have a couple really nice and really big whiteboards that are on wheels and also act as screens. They are probably 7' tall and 4' wide. People in the cubes like to roll them around and use them as doors since our cubicle walls are about the same height (lately I've been tempted to put up a beaded curtain as a door, or maybe cut out some swinging western style doors from some heavy cardboard).

DVD

Cyburbian
We each have a small letter size whiteboard outside our cube to say where we went. Mine has a drawing of rabbits that says don't be mad be hoppy. I like to change it once a week or so to some bad drawing and saying.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
No whiteboard for me. My 'ongoing' projects have personally esoteric triggers that remind me to accomplish them.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
I try to utilize a system where everything that happens throughout the day is hand-written in a notebook, and then eventually added to a longer term electronic system including a detailed calendar and all the big-picture stuff. I've found that way to be more flexible and still make sure I'm not missing any important to-do's from meetings.

However, now that I think of it I'm debating just doing away with all of this entirely and instead deploying a system of aimlessly wandering through the dark on projects followed by sheer panic when an impending deadline is facing me. Seems like that could make things more interesting...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
However, now that I think of it I'm debating just doing away with all of this entirely and instead deploying a system of aimlessly wandering through the dark on projects followed by sheer panic when an impending deadline is facing me. Seems like that could make things more interesting...
Nice and the math checks too.

Do it!

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Usually upcoming projects, active zoning enforcement issues, ideas for things I want/need to do, budget requests, things I need to order...

Stuff like that.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I only have a small one on my office door for saying where I am, when I'm not here. Physically. Mentally I'm not here right now but I'll keep that to myself. :p

DVD

Cyburbian
What is this "White Board" that you speak of ?
Well I guess I could best describe it as a chalk board, but you use markers instead of chalk and can use any paper towel to wipe it off so no more chalk dust or beating erasers. For some reason it still leaves unwanted marks on your hands or clothes and never fully erases.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Well I guess I could best describe it as a chalk board, but you use markers instead of chalk and can use any paper towel to wipe it off so no more chalk dust or beating erasers. For some reason it still leaves unwanted marks on your hands or clothes and never fully erases.
I spoke to a class at the local college last week and, when leaning against the white board, I found myself leaning forward and wiping imaginary chalk dust from my pants. Funny how that would be a knee-jerk reaction when I don't think I've been in a class with a chalkboard in like 20 years.

DVD

Cyburbian
My calc professor, who was a LARGE man used to write things on the chalk board and simultaneously erase other things. His shirt was always white.

I have made a white board out of one of my laminated elevation drawings. For now I'm just writing my project list and what I'm waiting for to finish a project. We'll see if I need anything else.